The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are Mag DK's Un-wanted in Dungeons/Raids/Trials or Endgame Content?/

jnelson1182
jnelson1182
✭✭
So here's the position I'm in at the moment, I currently have a Mag Sorc & a Mag DK, both level 50 with decent gear I will list what sets I have in a second, in playing a good amount of time on both classes as well as the fact I'm aiming for a fire mage type of build I have realized that I enjoy playing my DK more than my sorc. My original plan was to have sorc for pve endgame stuff and my DK for pvp stuff but now that I realize I would rather play him all of the time I want to make sure that he is at least going to be used in the content I want to do because I don't want to end up putting all my time and effort getting gear aimed for him only to find out that he is useless when it comes to group content or that I spend all my time trying not to get kicked from a random dungeon before the first pull strictly because of my class. Any help you guys can offer would be great.

When it comes to gear I have the Lich set, Necth's touch, some pieces of worms, a good amount of embershield,a lot of burning spell weave and Silks of the sun, & last but not least Juliano's. I only use silks and burning spell weave on the DK since they are aimed at boosting damage from fire skills which is most of the DK class. I only run necth's on my sorc since the boost to lightning skills but the rest of the sets I have been sending back and forth between the two depending on which one I am playing on at the time. One question I had about this was if anyone has tried or heard anything about someone trying a mixture of btw/silks and lich set to help with the sustain problem that the DK's have? Maybe I'm doing things wrong but I think I have around the same sustain problems on both my characters but the DK seems a little better because I am able to fit in more heavy attacks in between my rotation to help than I am with my sorc who I am currently trying a one pet build
Edited by jnelson1182 on April 2, 2018 8:10AM
* Maccb- Level 50 DragonKnight- Fire mage type build/ BSW body, Valkyn Skoria mister set, & Willpower Jewelry/Random Flame/Lightning/Reston STAFF's
**MBF**
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    no idea how post ended up with lines all the way thru it but I can't seem to edit it so I can change it. if you can't read it please lmk so I can re-post it.
    * Maccb- Level 50 DragonKnight- Fire mage type build/ BSW body, Valkyn Skoria mister set, & Willpower Jewelry/Random Flame/Lightning/Reston STAFF's
    **MBF**
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The edit-button is on the top near (right side) the headline of the thread.
    Noobplar
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    awesome fixed it thanks.
    **MBF**
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You will have trouble with end game trial guilds. Specifically if you want to do vAA HM, vMoL, vHoF or vAS.

Dungeons don't matter, you'll get groups just fine if you're good. Easy vet trials are also fine to get into, outside of score runs nobody should care that you bring a magDK.
  • reiverx
    reiverx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although it does make you feel a little uneasy when it's blatantly obvious that other classes are putting out a lot more damage.

• jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    ok cool, I definitely would rather run my DK, I guess the sorc rotations all seem to get boring quickly for me since many of the different rotations only involve one or two different skills and the DK feels the opposite , granted I am still new to the game so I'm probably a long way from knowing what I'm doing completely on this game but either way it is fun.
    **MBF**
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MagDK DPS typically are less effective at melee DPS than a stamina melee build.

MagDK tanks, on the other hand, do just fine as long as you have sufficient stamina for the content.
  • beetleklee
    beetleklee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some people in my guilds will bring them to vet trials but I very rarely see it. I know a few guildies who basically abandoned theirs for better classes. (Just so you know my guilds aren't super high end competitive trials, but we progress on hard content.) I don't think I heard anyone complain about a MagDK in group as long as they pull 30k+ DPS, but I think everyone knows a melee spot is better off being given to a StamDK or StamNB, so pretty much all I've seen for melee are stam DPS and ranged are Mag NBs and Sorcs.

I stopped bringing mine even though I mained MagDK for a long time. It's hard to sustain a rotation, and I just do way more damage on my StamDK without the sustain issues. MagNB also does more damage while staying at range. MagDK has to be in melee range, so all of the risk with none of the reward. There's barely anymore offbalance for Flame Lash, and Molten Whip doesn't do much more DPS and you also can't sustain it very well.

MagDK needs some major help and is outdated, but it's seen nothing but nerfs since it was OP when the game first started. Either its damage needs to be on par with StamDPS and bring some group support to the table like they do, or its skills need to be reworked so it can be at range.
    PC NA
    CP 690

EP Dunmer MagDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer MagSorc Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Argonian DK Tank Level 50, Boethiah's Scythe
    EP Breton Templar Healer Level 50
    EP Khajiit StamDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer Magblade Level 50, Assistant Alienist
    EP Argonian Stamden Level 50, Lady of Misrule (pvp)
    EP Dunmer Stamblade Level 50
    DC Redguard Stamplar
    AD Altmer Magwarden Healer

vMA, vDSA, vSO HM, vHRC HM, vAA, vAS+1, vMoL
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why do you play the game? Is it to enjoy yourself or do you want to run trails and get top scores?

Honestly, magicka DKs are fine for most vet dungeons and normal trails. You wont pull the highest dps numbers but as long as you consistantly pull 25k dps you’ll be fine.

What matters most, in my opinion, is that you enjoy yourself while playing. When you feel like you’re being hold back by your magicka DK you can always respec into stamina or roll a new char.

My main is a mag sorc but I enjoy the playstyle of magNB and stamDK the most so I usually run trails with them. Generally I use my mag sorc for questing and vMA farm runs.
    Edited by Septimus_Magna on April 2, 2018 8:26PM
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    Since DK's have got nothing but nerved and they are actually having legitimate issues at the moment with some people giving up on playing theres do you guys see them getting evened out in a patch or something anytime soon? I really do enjoy playing him I just want to make sure I won't have a problem finding content to play n groups to do it with.
    **MBF**