The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Currently, how many Crafting Survey sites (locations) for each Craft are there in Cold Harbor?

Shadowshire
Shadowshire
✭✭✭✭
@ZOS_Wrobel

Recently, I encountered a problem with a Cold Harbor Enchanting Survey. As far as I know, since Tamriel One, there has been only one location in Cold Harbor where its Enchanting Survey Protean Runestones spawn. However, that Survey specified a different location at which no Protean Runestones spawned when my character arrived. Since I could not find a way to resolve the problem (see the Note below), I temporarily abandoned the effort to obtain the Protean Runestones.

The next day, I returned my character to the same location with the same "Enchanting Survey: Cold Harbor" still in the Bags. Yet again, no Protean Runestones spawned at the Survey's location. So my character went to the other location instead, and found the Protean Runestones spawning there, where they had always spawned before.

Also, my characters have previously received a Cold Harbor Blacksmithing Survey which has always spawned 5 6 ore nodes at the same location. However, recently my characters received a "Cold Harbor Blacksmithing Survey" which had a different location, albeit, the Rich Rubedite Ore nodes did spawn there.

Now, I don't know whether I simply did not receive a Cold Harbor Blacksmithing Survey previously for any location except the same one since Tamriel One was released -- which seems absurd on the face of it -- or, more likely, there is a new bug in the game Host software instead.

Note: Logging-out to Character Select, then choosing to play the same character had no effect on the situation. Neither did reloading the UI, nor moving away from the Survey location and returning. Disabling the Lost Treasure add-on, which marks the Survey location on the Map with a black "X" also made no difference.

Edited by Shadowshire on April 2, 2018 6:26AM
--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi

Best Answer

• dave011
    dave011
    ✭✭✭
    Ok there is 2 different sights for each of the survey types in coldharbour.

This also applies to Craglorn and Orcinum but they have 3 for each type.

the rest of the zones are just 1.
    PC/NA
    Answer ✓
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I do not know if this applies to your question, but it is possible to be in a different instance than the survey nodes. To make the nodes appear, one can ride away out of sight of the survey location and then return. If that does not work, one can log out and log back in.

This has happened to me only recently. I do not know if it is a bug.

(Incidentally, surveys are supposed to yield 6 nodes.)
    Edited by Dojohoda on April 2, 2018 4:49AM
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    I do not know if this applies to your question, but it is possible to be in a different instance than the survey nodes. To make the nodes appear, one can ride away out of sight of the survey location and then return. If that does not work, one can log out and log back in.

This has happened to me only recently. I do not know if it is a bug.

(Incidentally, surveys are supposed to yield 6 nodes.)
    Thanks for pointing-out the typo, which I've corrected, and I've added a note providing more info, too.

I doubt that your reply applies to my question. However, having the character and the Survey location in different "instances" is also something which I have encountered on occasion (with one of my four characters in particular), among other situations:
    1. Sometimes it is necessary to find the Survey in the character's Bags, left-click on the Survey item to display the "map", then close it -- preferrably before the Survey location is within the Keen Eye radius from the character's position. I always do that with the one character with which I've often encountered problems, and it forestalls almost all problems from occurring.
    2. If the nodes do not spawn within the Keen Eye radius during the character's first approach, then the player should move the character some distance beyond the Keen Eye radius from the Survey location, use the first option above, then approach the Survey location again. If the Survey nodes still do not spawn, then often the character and the Survey location nodes are in different "instances". So, the player should move the character away from the Survey location (at least beyond the current Keen Eye radius), then log-out to Character Select and choose the same character to play again.
    3. In my experience, while there are multiple copies of the same Survey in the character's Bags, after collecting the materials for one Survey, the character must move approximately the distance that is configured as their "view horizon" (with ESC > Settings), before approaching the Survey location again to see the nodes spawn for the next Survey. If that does not suffice, then using the first option above after moving away, and before approaching the Survey location again, often resolves the anomaly.

Also, one thing that can fool a player is when the Keen Eye passive for the character's crafting skill which uses the type of material for the Survey is at less than maximum. While that is so, then the player should always use the first option listed above to reduce the likelihood of problems. Other than that, the character must be closer to the pinpoint coordinates for the Survey location before the nodes are highlighted. If the character's Keen Eye passive has not been unlocked, the character must be within about 5 meters of a node to see the Herb, which will not be highlighted in any way. The player can distinguish a Survey node from a normal node by the description displayed by the Interactive Prompt.

Since all of my characters now have the maximum Keen Eye passive Rank for each of the 5 crafting skills for which Surveys are produced, that has not affected this situation.

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are 2 of each.