The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Nord Names

Yzalirk
Yzalirk
✭✭✭✭
Hey,

Just about to take on the disgusting grind journey with a bunch of Nord characters. My only obstacle is naming them. I do not know what names to use and one of the problems being is my lack of knowledge on how they are named.

To be more clear, how do their names work exactly? I see some with the surnames Stoneheart and Broken-Hammer, as examples. Then I see some that are more like titles, such as [name] the Keen. What are the differences between the hyponated names and the ones that are not? Do they matter? What about like actual surnames from Daggerfall and Arena? And how are titles actually given to a Nord?

I also cannot seem to come up male first names I like. I am using a generator but there really have been no names that I “love” per se. I cannot really describe what I am looking for other than sort of Dwarvish and is just overall a cool name. The shorter names are on the bottom of the totem pole.

Thanks,
-Yzalirk
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a link that might help.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Nord_Names

PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tai-Chi wrote: »

It sort of help, thanks.

I am still confused about some of the surnames. A lot of them seem like they can be hyphenated but are not. For instance, you have the Stormcloaks and the Battles-Borns. Is there any difference or significance between the hypenated and nonhypenated surnames?

Still no luck with first names, R.I.P.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yzalirk wrote: »

It sort of help, thanks.

I am still confused about some of the surnames. A lot of them seem like they can be hyphenated but are not. For instance, you have the Stormcloaks and the Battles-Borns. Is there any difference or significance between the hypenated and nonhypenated surnames?

• Most Nords have no family name. However, some Nords have clans, or titles added after or occasionally before their given name.
    • Titles as suffixes are often hyphenated.
    • Note that unlike clan names, titles may be changed over the course of one's lifetime, and there are a few incidents of single individuals with multiple titles at different times.

Apparently there's no significance to hyphens. It's just common for titles, but not necessary.
    So you'll just have to decide if you want your Nord to have a clan name or a title. A clan name would signify your heritage, whereas a title would stand for your deeds or prominent traits.
    Titles are also great to make up yourself! My warden tank for example is called Wild-Heart.

As for first name, I'm not sure what you mean by "Dwarvish". Which kind of Dwarves are you thinking of?
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Check the Norse pantheon for first names, and the toon's favorite activity/occupation as the last name.

Or mix and match:

NordSorc Forum-Skimmer.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just think about how the name arose.

"Did you hear about Fred?"
    "Which Fred?"
    "Fred the smith." or "Fred, Harald's son." or "Fred the bald."

The same Fred may be all of those, but the one that everyone says "Oh, THAT Fred" is the one that sticks. And it's already been pointed out that it's changeable. Do something noteworthy, and that feat becomes Fred's distinguishing title. He may still be bald...
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    Yzalirk wrote: »

It sort of help, thanks.

• Most Nords have no family name. However, some Nords have clans, or titles added after or occasionally before their given name.
    • Titles as suffixes are often hyphenated.
    • Note that unlike clan names, titles may be changed over the course of one's lifetime, and there are a few incidents of single individuals with multiple titles at different times.

Apparently there's no significance to hyphens. It's just common for titles, but not necessary.
    So you'll just have to decide if you want your Nord to have a clan name or a title. A clan name would signify your heritage, whereas a title would stand for your deeds or prominent traits.
    Titles are also great to make up yourself! My warden tank for example is called Wild-Heart.

As for first name, I'm not sure what you mean by "Dwarvish". Which kind of Dwarves are you thinking of?

I was thinking like World of Warcraft or Tolkien Dwarves.

I named my Nord Dragonknight Asbjkmund Moltenheart. I probably could have done Molten-Heart instead.
  • OrdoHermetica
    OrdoHermetica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord names are often based off of, well, real-world Nordic names. So you could take a look at a source like this for a first name, and then come up with a title or clan name for your surname.
  • Vuldovahkriid
    Vuldovahkriid
    ✭✭✭
    Nord names are often based off of, well, real-world Nordic names. So you could take a look at a source like this for a first name, and then come up with a title or clan name for your surname.

I used that site myself lol. I came up with Valtyr Stormblade. Valtyr means "Slain God" in Norse. Kind of fitting since he's killed right before the story starts.
    Valtyr Stormblade- Nord DK CP810

Vulsahvith- Argonian NB CP810

Illidan Highborn- High Elf Sorc CP810

Thrall Durotar- Orc WD CP810

Mythos Varedis- Wood Elf TP CP810

Ra'zaq- Khajit NB CP810

Aelya Proudmoore- Breton Sorc CP810

Broxigar Saurfang- Orc DK CP810

Lady Sylvannas Windrunner- Dark Elf NB CP810

Lord Anduin Wyrnn- Breton TP CP810
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been using the Volsung name for characters in various games since about 2001ish...

But in Tamriel if anyone asks my character about the dragon priest all she'll say is something along the lines of "...very very distant relation... We don't have anything to do with that side of the family..." or she'll hit them with an axe, depends on her mood.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of them also use Germanic names (as the Germanic peoples were originally from Scandinavia) so I opt for names like ‘Siegfried.’
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering you have Whitemane and Gray-Mane I'd say make a decision for yourself - how you like it better - and run with it.

Challenge everyone who disagrees to a drinking duel, that will erase all doubt!

*hiksh*
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett