Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Racial Differences

jd24
jd24
✭✭✭
Newbie here so go easy on me.

After leveling a handful of characters to 10-15ish to experience different weapons and abilities I have decided on a stamblade. I really like playing a Nord for the sense of feeling like a ruthless viking. Plus the guy in the cinematics is my new hero. The problem with that though is that stamblades are suppose to be redguard, khajit, orc/wood elf(?).

Is there that big of a damage loss for being a nord over redguard?
Are racials in general as huge as some of these guys make them out to be?
Would I be able to survive certain mechanics for the added hp with being a Nord making it more forgiving to a new player or do boss mechanics pretty much one shot you regardless?
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to say that Nord is currently the worst race in the game. Everything is still doable as a Nord but harder.

Redguard however is the best race in the game for Stam. If you have the option to pick Imperial/Orc if you want a bit more health.

[PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    Nords have no damage buff racial buffs or sustain. The health / damage reduction skills aim at Nords being used as a Tank.
    [PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • jd24
    jd24
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the reply nihrisutou.

If there was a redguard with the exact same build and gear as me would he out damage me by 20%? 10%? 5%?

Is the added health and damage reduction enough to make me somewhat tanky as a dps spec?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If there was a redguard with the exact same build and gear as me would he out damage me by 20%? 10%? 5%?

Is the added health and damage reduction enough to make me somewhat tanky as a dps spec?
    Max benefit is 10% as I read, think that is altmer pet sorc against pet sorc with no magic bonuses.
    Nord against redguard, guess 7 or less.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • jd24
    jd24
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

Max benefit is 10% as I read, think that is altmer pet sorc against pet sorc with no magic bonuses.
    Nord against redguard, guess 7 or less.

That's what I was looking for. Thank you so much. Even if the difference is 10% I am looking at 44k dps vs 40k dps. I can live with that. I always have the luck of when I try to play the most OP "fill in the blank" something gets nerfed so I have learned to just play what looks cool and deal with it.

Thank you again for your reply.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racial diffs are overstated and over emphasized. If you're concerned about squeezing out the last few % of ubermetaefficiency then pick your race to support your build.

My magplar healer is a Bosmer. My magsorc dps is a Bosmer. My bow/bow stamsorc is a Bosmer. They all do wonderfully.

My DK tank is an Imperial - a race very well suited to the role. Is there a diff? Yes. Is it big? No.

I would not let racial bonuses disuade you from playing a race you enjoy - for any role unless you are looking to join the uberelites.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the other poster who said racial passives are over emphasized. They’re important, but not that important.

I would guess that your Nord will do maybe 10% less damage. This might be a problem in the 1% of end game content where you need to maximize, but you’ll do fine in the other 99% of the game.

Also, this is your first character. Just have fun with it. Who knows where the game will take you...you might focus on this stamblade indefinitely, or you might level several characters and play different classes. If down the road you feel that ”omg I cant live without a few more hit points,” then you could theoretically pay for a race change. Or level another stamblade.

And in general being a Nord should make you quite a bit tankier, and will probably help you survive a bit better as you learn and play the game.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10% more stamina isnt equal to 10% more damage. Racial differences are overestimated and i doubt that the biggest differences will result in more than 5% damage. So dont worry, nord will do fine for now and you will be able to hit similar numbers as a redguard. If we talk about 40k dps, race differences wont make more than 1-2k differences.
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most important aspect when comparing redgourd to other stamina races is to keep in mind the huge sustain bonus redgourds get from their adrenaline passive. While the 10% max stam dont mean too much of a adamage difference (still noticeable but nowhere near 10%), the inherent sustain of redgourd not only means they simply have an easier time sustaining, but also that there are certain build options open to them that other races simply can not take. This is mostly true for PvP, but also has some impact in PvE.
    For example a redgourd has a much easier time sustaining a rotation without the use of the viscous ophidian set, which is almost mandatory on other stamina races. That means they can invest another item set into dealing more damage plus their already existing advantage from the 10% stamina the have.
    Jo'Khaljor
  • The_Tarantian
    The_Tarantian
    ✭✭✭
    Newbie here so go easy on me.
    I really like playing a Nord for the sense of feeling like a ruthless viking. Plus the guy in the cinematics is my new hero. The problem with that though is that stamblades are suppose to be redguard, khajit, orc/wood elf(?).
    Oh boy, I'm here to tell you aren't alone like that, I felt the exact same damn way when I was starting.
    I ended up making a dunmer nightblade (I couldn't imagine anybody else, but dark elf as an assasin) and nord dragonknight (hello, badass guy from the cinematic).
    High five, bruh \m
    Would I be able to survive certain mechanics for the added hp with being a Nord making it more forgiving to a new player or do boss mechanics pretty much one shot you regardless?
    All have been already said - racials give 2-3k dps difference at most, while you still can reach 40-50k dps with 25k-30k being enough for pretty much anything.
    Imo, racials really matter only if you are going for leaderboards and stuff, you know. If you're casual like myself - do not even bother, just enjoy your ruthless viking!

Erin Go Bragh, Erin go Braugh !
    It's Irish for "you're ***".
  • jd24
    jd24
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all to answered this. Very good and helpful responses here. I didn't even get a troll response. (yay!) Thanks again!
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shall tell thee an honest advice and words of wisdom ~

Do not bother your mind overly with racial bonuses. The physical appearance / Facial aesthetics and beloved race can play a lot bigger impact on your overall game-play experience rather than having extra Racial bonuses.

~ I hear thee. You have already your own question, You do love playing as ruthless viking, play as one. You are destined for Nord.

Nords are the rugged killing machines. I have no issues with my Stamina Nord Female Dragonknight. It is an unique build. I am a newbie as well and I would rather prefer Nordic racial defensive bonuses than Extra Stamina, such is the case with the Redguard.

Slight,Insignificant, if it warps your mind, hurts you or bothers you, have a stamina potion with you or invest few extra points to Stamina. With a wise build, skill rotation, gear and smart play,the difference is negligible.

I shall embrace Nordic 6% Damage reduction 6% Max Stamina 9% total Health and 2079 Cold resistance. Redguards do not posses versatility or diversity. 15% two handed , duration of consumed drinks

Health recovery 20% is massive.

It's mostly exaggerated and over-magnified. You are doing a mistake as a new player , you bother too much.

Yes, but later on ,Racial bonuses truly shine when they are maxed up.

Pick the one closest to your heart.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You won’t be able to tell any difference until much higher levels. Redguard is stam toon king because it has more Stam and recovery from facials.