The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Too much aggro??

OB_Jake
OB_Jake
I'm a fairly new player and just hit level 50. I'm play a sorc with a pet. I have a destruction stave equipped as my main. I don't think I have really good gear, but I tend to pull an insane amount of aggro without trying. I've been kicked from one or two dungeon runs, I assume, because of my aggro pulls. On my first heroic dungeon run since hitting 50 the tank said to take off my staff? Which I couldn't ask what he meant fast enough and was then dropped from group?? Can someone assist with basic dungeon aggro and perhaps dungeon courtedy/procedure? Thanks!
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using an ice staff? If so, read your destruction staff passives veeeery carefully, then swap to inferno or lightning.
  • greenmachine
    greenmachine
    ✭✭✭
    Frost staff heavy attacks work as a taunt if you have points into the Tri-Focus passive. Maybe that's it.
    greenmachine513 PS4-NA
    GM of Aldmeri People's Front
    Ionien - Altmer Mag Sorc Stormproof | Dr Jonny Fever - Breton Healplar | Bernie Dresden - Dunmer MagDK | Crushasaurus Rex - Argonian Stam DK
    Ser Greywulf - Nord DK Tank | Meow Kapwn - Khajit Magblade | Twink Versatile - Bosmer Stamblade | Loke-Tarr - Orc Stamden | Juicy Thunderthighs - Redguard Stamsorc | Frizz Grizzberg - Magden | Hax Killstealer - Dunmer Mag Sorc
    HEY HEY HEY SMOKE SKOOMA EVERYDAY
    JOIN THE APF ON PS4NA:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/400830/aldmeri-peoples-front-recruiting-ps4na#latest

HAIL DAEDRA
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice staff with passives is probable (I think if you hover over the item in your inventory, it’s the upper left corner that will tell you whether or not it’s a frost staff; the staff having a frost enchantment on it— where it says “Deals xxxamount Frost Damage”— won’t matter).
    As a note for general courtesy, don’t start casting AoE abilities on a group of enemies before the tank has a chance to hop in there and hopefully grab most aggro. Enemies tend to aggro on the first player that hits them, so you might be drawing aggro if you start damaging them before the tank gets there. It doesn’t really matter to me, but I know some tanks get bent out of shape when dps (or heals) pull a group before they get to.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, either you were jumping ahead of the tank and pulling mobs before he could round them up or you were using an ICE staff (or maybe both).

It should probably be more clear somewhere in game, but an Ice staff is simply not an acceptable weapon for anyone but the dedicated tank in group content. The heavy attack from a lighting staff will override the taunt that a tank has on an enemy. As a pet sorc, lighting staff is your best friend.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on March 30, 2018 7:42PM
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This happened to me with one of my sorcs and I found out it was the ice staff. I apparently missed in the text seeing that it was a taunt. Wish someone had told me the first time I did it instead of letting me muddle along and be annoying for a few days. >_<
    Edited by Minyassa on March 30, 2018 8:04PM
  • OB_Jake
    OB_Jake
    I'm definitely using a frost staff! I'm glad I asked about aggro, I had NO IDEA about that taunt item. I've played WoW for years and aggro works VERY different between the two platforms. Thanks everyone for the quick nub course corrections! Much appreciated!
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OB_Jake wrote: »
    I'm definitely using a frost staff! I'm glad I asked about aggro, I had NO IDEA about that taunt item. I've played WoW for years and aggro works VERY different between the two platforms. Thanks everyone for the quick nub course corrections! Much appreciated!

This actually happens much more often than you'd think.

Now if only everyone else actually had the initiative to find out why they kept stealing aggro and everyone told them to change staves.
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Illurian wrote: »
    OB_Jake wrote: »

This actually happens much more often than you'd think.

Now if only everyone else actually had the initiative to find out why they kept stealing aggro and everyone told them to change staves.

Or just read passives
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, reading the passives would fix but it is clear this is not happening as well as it should. It does indeed happen rather often that my tank is working WBs and has young magic squishies overriding my taunt and committing suicide by ice staff.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you figured out the problem!

Just to clarify the possible taunts in game:
    Puncture, the first skill in the One Hand and Shield line
    Ice Staff heavy attack with the Tri-focus passive
    Inner Fire from the Undaunted line
    Tormentor Set while using a Charge ability

I usually see people accidentally taunting with the Ice Staff. I've only once had a DPS taunt using Puncture, which was kind of interesting in that I didn't expect that at all.