The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Aitheric Cipher - sell it, or keep it?

MonkLoHan
MonkLoHan
✭✭✭
Was going through my inventory on my main (who is also my crafter) and decided to look into this item that I've had for a LONG time. Picked it up somewhere between level 48 and CP50 but havent done anything with it. Now that I see just have valuable it is, I figure I should do something with it.

Now, my issue is that I have yet to level up provisioning (currently only like lvl 10) so it'll be a while to get to level to craft this (and find perfect roe/ingridients) so I am debating on selling ($2-$4 million and buying my dream home) or keeping/investing in my future by leveling up provisioning and selling Mythic Abrosia on guild stores.

What should I do? Sell? Or level up provisioning to use and/or sell pots? What would YOU do?
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it'll take a long time to make the 2 million back and you probably won't have a lot of luck selling xp pots unless you have access to a trader in a major city or craglorn. if you don't plan on getting into a good trade guild in one of the major cities and paying dues/meeting their quota every week, imo it would be best to sell it.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't mention what platform you are on. On PC NA there's not a huge market for the pots,so it would take quite awhile to earn the value of selling the cipher. You also don't mention your CP level, which might play into it. You can max provisioning in 10-15 min, and use the pots to get yourself to max level, and get gradual ROI by selling pots ongoing.

But if the priority is the home, sell now.
    Edited by Reverb on March 29, 2018 9:30PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MonkLoHan
    MonkLoHan
    ✭✭✭
    I am on PC NA. This is one of those things where I'll be going back and forth between selling/keeping for a while. Right now, I am leaning on keeping it. But, I have never had more than 20,000 gold at any given time in this game.

My main character is currently at CP 335 with my seven alts all being between lvl 15 and 38.

• strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sell it! You can buy a large home and some really good equipment from what you make. Or you can take the next year or two to try and make as much gold while still not having your house. (Make sure to remember the tariffs when you settle on a price, at that level they are more noticeable.)
  • summitxho
    summitxho
    ✭✭✭
    Keep it, I have played since launch and never found one. If you tend to be a completionist and want to know all the recipes then keep it as you will likely never find one again. The house can be saved up for, the cipher is by pure luck. I used to always be broke, but I started using repair kits for repairs, joined a guild with a great trader, and doing daily writs, and I had banked a million in no time at all.
    Edited by summitxho on March 29, 2018 7:40PM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're a completionist, keep it. Otherwise, if you have no use for it now, sell it.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell. B) The golds much more usefull
  • MonkLoHan
    MonkLoHan
    ✭✭✭
    I just did a quick search online and in the game and found the mythic aetherial ambrosia selling for $2+ million. Think I'll just buy a few psijic ambrosia recipes and convert them using the cipher and sell. This seems like the best thing to do.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MonkLoHan wrote: »
    I just did a quick search online and in the game and found the mythic aetherial ambrosia selling for $2+ million. Think I'll just buy a few psijic ambrosia recipes and convert them using the cipher and sell. This seems like the best thing to do.

Can you reuse the cipher like that? I though it was used up on the first one.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »

You can't reuse it. It is consumed in the act.
  • MonkLoHan
    MonkLoHan
    ✭✭✭

It says it has a 5sec cool down. If that is the case, I am DEFINITELY going to sell it. I'll just offer it up in zone chat.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its gold ur after sell it.

Bird in the hand
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It says it has a 5sec cool down. If that is the case, I am DEFINITELY going to sell it. I'll just offer it up in zone chat.

Sure, but cool down on consumables, unlike momentos, still uses up the item. The cool down is how long you have to wait to use a second one.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've found two; sold the last one not too long ago for 72k, which seemed to be about the going rate.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    I've found two; sold the last one not too long ago for 72k, which seemed to be about the going rate.

I think you're confusing the Cipher and the Dust.

The Cipher has an obscenely low drop rate, and is used to convert a "regular" ambrosia recipe into a Mythic Aetherial Ambrosia recipe, is sells for 1.8m-2.2m

The Dust has a higher (but still low) drop rate, and is an ingredient used to make the potions after learning the recipe. The Dust sells for 70k-80k.
    Edited by Reverb on April 2, 2018 9:13PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    summitxho wrote: »
    Keep it, I have played since launch and never found one. If you tend to be a completionist and want to know all the recipes then keep it as you will likely never find one again. The house can be saved up for, the cipher is by pure luck. I used to always be broke, but I started using repair kits for repairs, joined a guild with a great trader, and doing daily writs, and I had banked a million in no time at all.

Beat me to it.

• disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you need gold - sell it. If you don't need the gold - keep it or learn it.

I have never seen one, but if I ever find one my crafter will be learning it. I wouldn't even bother trying to make gold from the pots - gold is so easy to make in this game.

I would sell the second one I find.....
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • MonkLoHan
    MonkLoHan
    ✭✭✭
    I decided to keep it and learn the recipe. Of course, my master crafter is sitting at Provisioning level 18 right now, but I plan on leveling her up so that I can actually craft the recipe. Money does (can) come easier in the game than the cipher, so........I used it to learn the recipe.

• Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    id sell it
  • jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep it.

I've been playing for 3 years. Every time I've sold something rare in a case of a Should I Keep It or Sell It dilemma, I ended up regretting having sold it and almost always ended up buying it again. There is always a reason down the line that you will find you need or can really make good use for it.

The only good reason for selling it now, imo, is if you don't have inventory space, but with free apartments and a free housing storage coffer from leveling up a new toon, you should be able to stash it away at the cost of one free inventory slot.

Edit: lol, didn't see the OP's update.
    Edited by jssriot on April 5, 2018 5:36PM
    PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would YOU do?

I'm probably picking nits here but if you are planning to sell something for millions in-game you might want to at least figure out how to spell its name correctly ...
    dry.gif