Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Fire resistance -- Breton vs. Dunmer

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
A Breton's racial passive gives a number for overall spell resistance that is almost twice a Dunmer's number for fire resistance alone.

Question: Does spell resistance work against all fire damage?

I'm asking for a future vampire friend.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes spell resistance works against all fire damage. However, I believe Dunmer fire resistance makes them immune to burning, Bretons do not get this aspect of it from their general spell resistance.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes spell resistance works against all fire damage. However, I believe Dunmer fire resistance makes them immune to burning, Bretons do not get this aspect of it from their general spell resistance.

That makes sense. Thanks!

So which would be likely to wind up offering superior protection in PvE endgame content, and to what extent?

(I'm assuming burning hits vampires harder just like other fire damage does.)
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on March 28, 2018 5:21PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess we might as well talk about PvP too, for the sake of those who see this this thread and care more about PvP than I do. :)
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PVE burning is about 2000 DPS when it is ticking, no idea how often enemies proc it on you. In PVP that would be more like 1000 DPS and 50% uptime is reasonable of the attacker has a fire enchant. So fire resistance probably avoids around 500 damage per second on average.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in pve you dont encounter much burning on your self. there arent many npcs proccing it on you. so overall bretons speel ressistance is superior to the fire ressistance of the dunmer. also you are slightly protected against ice and shock damage too. the burning status may be more an issue in pvp.
    anyway the race choice is in my opinion rather depending on how minmaxing you are and what purpose your character should fullfill. if its a magicka dd, altmers are BIS on 4 out of 5 classes, only dunmer works better on a magdk. bretons there are inferior to dunmers as damage dealers on every class. but for healers, bretons are best or second best choice in my opinion, if we talk about pvp, then once again its a total different story.....