The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

How OP is the player character?

MLGProPlayer
MLGProPlayer
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
We're basically killing gods left, right, and centre in ESO. I just completed the Clockwork City, and Divayth Fyr, one of the most powerful mortals in TES history (who claims his power is near that of a god), comments about how he is impressed that the player character was able to withstand the encounter with Nocturnal completely unscathed. We already killed Molag Bal by channeling the power of another god and engaged in direct combat with Barbas.

The player character has also killed countless lesser Daedra with no external aids (Molag Grunda, that Daedra in the Telvanni quest line that granted the old woman immortality, etc.).

Additionally, everyone keeps harping on about how the player character is the only one who can stop this or that (even Sotha Sil tells you this, after praising you).

So, is the player character OP AF? And why don't we get more respect from NPCs?
  • OrdoHermetica
    OrdoHermetica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because suspension of disbelief is essential in an MMO where literally millions of other people are also the "Chosen One." Trying to reconcile the place of PCs within lore is an exercise in futility.
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because suspension of disbelief is essential in an MMO where literally millions of other people are also the "Chosen One." Trying to reconcile the place of PCs within lore is an exercise in futility.

When I say player character, I mean a single entity. In your playthrough, you are the only hero.
    Options
  • Highlor3
    Highlor3
    ✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes get praises from NPCs, based on Dungeons I've cleared, or Alliance's zone quest I've advanced. Although, Don't remember getting praises based on cleared DLC content (I remember some from Orsinium).
    [PC-NA] CP 1400+ The Conquest of Tamriel, UESP & Taverna do Mestre
    The Scientia Consortium:
    • Rodbertus Quercus, Imperial, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Robert Bethencourt, Breton, Templar [DC]
    • Karlindah Telvanni, Dunmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Hejthuxis (former Raises-Her-Rear), Argonian, Nightblade [EP]
    • Limeril Bravewind, Altmer, Warden [AD]
    • Isilarelen, Dunmer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Elindael, Bosmer, Warden [AD]
    • Hrodberaht Bright-Fame, "Nordguard", Warden [EP]
    • Ra'Kham, Khajiit, Nightblade [DC]
    • Brazilia gra-Bagol, Orsimer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Nirrah al-Hegathe, Redguard, Necromancer [DC]
    • Theodora Quercus, Imperial, Templar [DC]
    • Cuddles-In-The-Water, Argonian, Templar [EP]
    • Cainneach the Pale, Reachman, Necromancer [AD]
    • Dughlas af-Fearley, Redguard, Sorcerer [DC]
    • Roze Cloturier, Breton, Arcanist [AD]
    • Alvyrspic the Remnant, Nord, Arcanist [DC]
    [PC-EU] No CP THE CAPS ARMY
    • Adaltos Indoril, Dunmer, Templar [EP]
    • Geralt of Evermore, Breton, Nightblade [DC]
    • Feainneweedd, Altmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Robert Cloturier-Baudiae, Breton, Arcanist [DC]
    • M'ahnurr the Elusive, Khajiit, Arcanist [AD]
    Options
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't kill Gods in tes, you can just hurt them at best.
    Edited by Yakidafi on March 25, 2018 6:51AM
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
    Options
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When I say player character, I mean a single entity. In your playthrough, you are the only hero.
    But you are not.
    Sometimes the game story even reminds you that you have to find « allies » that means other heroes.

That « The-Player-Character » thought is only a bias from 1-solo offline RPG critics who got into this habit of saying 2-ESO being successor of solo offline rpg games 3-poor storytelling in ESO quest design (partly solo, partly multiplayer and partly massively multiplayer, without any clue) 4-ESO main storyline mistakenly...written for a solo rpg
    This bias is spreading massively into MMO comments, for some years. So it may or may not reflect the growing individualism from the players and the trends of game design :/

Anyway, from another perspective... Maybe the Daedra Princes are overrated.
    Maybe most of their power come from the bigotry and cowardice, both from the cultists and from the ignorami.
    They are merely strong ghosts who rule parts of Oblivion (cf. The Old Ways, Celarus)
    If that is the case, then some "heroes" with strong will and a bit of magic (like the 5 classes we play) can stand before them. In a world like this, such heroes would be the player characterS, and few NPCs like Fyr.

Seems way more consistent than those "the PC is alone and s/he is a God" thing, to my point of view
    Edited by Ajaxandriel on March 25, 2018 2:02PM
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;