The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please Help me

Gwythyr
Gwythyr
✭✭
Hi, I might have accidentally bought the wrong PS4 pre-order for Summerset Isles Collection as it wants to download the base game again but can’t till I delete my disk copy. I can still play but I’m worried this will affect the update/go wrong in the future.

I don’t want to delete my disk but I am worried about any issues that might occur due to this mistaken purchase.
Edited by Gwythyr on March 23, 2018 9:22PM
Server: EU PSN
Champion Points: 502

AD - Breton Sorceror
EB - Templar Bosmer
DC - Altmer Dragonknight
AD - Khajiit Nightblade
AD - Khajiit Templar
DC - Dunmer Sorceror
AD - Khajiit Warden
  • Gwythyr
    Gwythyr
    ✭✭
    So far I can still play the game but will having bought the digital copy of the full game without using it (keeping the disk copy) - will it affect the Summerset download later on?

AD - Breton Sorceror
    EB - Templar Bosmer
    DC - Altmer Dragonknight
    AD - Khajiit Nightblade
    AD - Khajiit Templar
    DC - Dunmer Sorceror
    AD - Khajiit Warden
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have bought ESO physically and digitally. No, having the digital copy won't hurt anything. Basically, what is happening is since you bought the game digitally, the game is just installing itself onto the hard drive.

Here is a really good reddit post explaining how it works;
    As a recent owner of the PS4, I've decided that for this generation I will either buy all my games in digital or in physical discs. No half/half, it's one or the other for me. I decided to do a breakdown of which is better, and thought I should share it with you guys so perhaps it can help you decide which is better.

Digital Downloads (Pros):

-You get to play new releases the moment it's available.

-You have instant access to all your library without swapping discs.

-You have access to all your library when using remote play.

-You can take advantage of the PSN Store Sales / PS+ discounts, which are often pretty good.

-No TAX in certain regions.

-Doesn't take up space in your living room.

-More incentive if you have a fast internet connection and (or) if you've upgraded to a 2TB hard drive.

Physical Games (Pros):

-The ownership of a tangible media

-You can sell it after

-You can lend the disc to a friend or use it on other PS4's without having to login to your PSN account

-Authenticity of the game ownership is tied to the disc itself.

Digital Downloads (Cons):

-No tangible media. You're basically buying the rights to play the game similar to Steam.

-Cannot download your game if PSN network is down. (Has happened)

-You can't sell the game. It's forever tied to your PSN account.

-You can't lend your game (Share Play doesn't count)

-Risk of losing all your purchases if for any reason you get hacked/banned on PSN.

-Need to re-download the whole game if you delete the installation.

-Authenticity of the game ownership is tied to your PSN account.

-Uses a lot of bandwidth.

-No guarantee that Sony will host the games on their servers indefinitely.

Physical Games (Cons):

-Have to swap the discs when you want to play a new game

-Possibility of misplacing or scratching the disc

-If you want to do remote play, you're restricted to the disc currently inserted in your PS4 only. You do not have access to the entire library as you cannot remotely swap discs.

Verdict: I personally concluded that if money isn't the concern, digital download is certainly more convenient for not having to swap discs and allowing the access of your entire library for remote play. However, if you are more concerned about making a financially conscious decision, it seems to make more sense to buy physical discs as you can sell it later on when you beat the game; esp if it's a single player campaign orientated game.

Another dynamic to factor in is that if you often bring your games to your friend's house to play on their PS4 or if you often lend your games, physical disc is also the preferred option.

So for myself, I've decided to go with physical discs as it's the better investment for your hard-earned money at a minor inconvenience of having to swap discs when I want to change the game. I will buy digital ONLY IF there's a really good PSN sale where the price is low enough to justify the purchase.

Basically, your disc unlocks the game. With having the game digitally on the harddrive, you can put in different disc and play another game, then if you want to play ESO, you can just highlight it and just go without using the disc itself.
  • Gwythyr
    Gwythyr
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice and info. :-) I’m glad I decided to keep my disk copy now.

AD - Breton Sorceror
    EB - Templar Bosmer
    DC - Altmer Dragonknight
    AD - Khajiit Nightblade
    AD - Khajiit Templar
    DC - Dunmer Sorceror
    AD - Khajiit Warden
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I may, another piece of advice;

Due to ESO becoming a bigger and bigger hard drive space hog as time goes by, I would recommend shopping for and keeping an eye out for hard drive sales. If you have a 1 TB PS4 Slim or 1TB PS4 Pro, you should be OK. However, you can upgrade the hard drive inside the machine yourself giving you much more room for ESO and other games you use.

Sony has a very helpful step-by-step guide here showing you how to safely do it.

Note and a Warning: If you decide to upgrade the hard drive, max allowed is 8 TB drive. You'll also need a flash drive to install PS4 OS. Installing a new drive obviously will not have older save files on it, so back up any older data/saves to the PS+ cloud first before installing the new drive.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on March 24, 2018 4:42PM