The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Warden healer/tank

Selwind
Selwind
✭✭
So I finally bought Morrowind and I really want to level a Warden. The thing is I dont know which role to pick. I don't want another DD and I'm already leveling a Templar Healer and a DK Tank. My friend had this interesting idea of making an Argonian Warden, that can switch between Tank and Healer. Of course I'll be switching gear and most likely attributes when i do that, but what do you think about it? Do you have any other suggestions? If you approve this idea can you recommend me some healing builds and some tanking builds? Thank you in advance! <3
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What a Warden tank can do better than anything else is ultimate generation. Until it received a bunch of nerfs they could have infinite trees (Secluded Grove Ultimate). But they can still get pretty close to infinite trees which kind of acts and a tank healer.

If you are playing with friends you can have one of your three DPS on warhorn duty and/or share the additional healing duties amoungst yourselves. Sorcs have the Atronach which is really strong Group damage amp in dungeons (might not need warhorn) and twilight matriarch, MagNB Funnel Health heals the group and a Magplar only needs to slot Breath of life for emergencies. Forcing Stamdps to try to heal the group with vigor when you are in trouble might be an issue though. So Tank Healing is really at its best when you are playing with people you know.

The issue with being a full Tank Healer is that Tanks are very limited on magicka and always have low spell damage. Also when you most need a healer is when you got hit with CC and can't heal yourself.
    Edited by Narvuntien on March 22, 2018 1:58PM
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a magicka based warden healer/tank....he can spam heals forever while tanking with ice staff front bar and resto back bar(or alternatively S&B when needed) but...he isnt much good beyond vet dungeons, he isnt up to par for trials, and since he depends so much on heals, abilities like fear can be deadly if they hit at the wrong time. Fun to play...but not truly trial viable as more than an off-tank, and vet DLC dungeons can be tough....ones like bloodroot forge and ROM should be avoided entirely
  • Selwind
    Selwind
    ✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    What a Warden tank can do better than anything else is ultimate generation. Until it received a bunch of nerfs they could have infinite trees (Secluded Grove Ultimate). But they can still get pretty close to infinite trees which kind of acts and a tank healer.

If you are playing with friends you can have one of your three DPS on warhorn duty and/or share the additional healing duties amoungst yourselves. Sorcs have the Atronach which is really strong Group damage amp in dungeons (might not need warhorn) and twilight matriarch, MagNB Funnel Health heals the group and a Magplar only needs to slot Breath of life for emergencies. Forcing Stamdps to try to heal the group with vigor when you are in trouble might be an issue though. So Tank Healing is really at its best when you are playing with people you know.

The issue with being a full Tank Healer is that Tanks are very limited on magicka and always have low spell damage. Also when you most need a healer is when you got hit with CC and can't heal yourself.

i dont want to heal and tank at the same time. i want to switch back and forth
  • Selwind
    Selwind
    ✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »
    I have a magicka based warden healer/tank....he can spam heals forever while tanking with ice staff front bar and resto back bar(or alternatively S&B when needed) but...he isnt much good beyond vet dungeons, he isnt up to par for trials, and since he depends so much on heals, abilities like fear can be deadly if they hit at the wrong time. Fun to play...but not truly trial viable as more than an off-tank, and vet DLC dungeons can be tough....ones like bloodroot forge and ROM should be avoided entirely

yeah but im talking about switching gear when i want to tank. not have the same gear, skills and attributes all the time
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I approve of your friend's choice of class and race because indeed it allows you to spec for either tank or healer just fine. What I don't believe you can do is spec for both at the same time and just switch. Simply because as tank you would be stamina based and as healer magicka based unless you want to go reset your attributes everytime you want to swap role.

You could spec of a bit of everything and become a jack of 2 trades but you'll never really be good either role (vet DLC dungeons, trials...)
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shalk + dragon works well

or shalk + draugrs rest could also be interesting maybe

for ice staff

havent found a good combo for a stamina tank warden...maybe werewolf hide...since tava's kinda doesn't work anymore
    Edited by Nemesis7884 on March 22, 2018 5:16PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragurs rest, automated defense, Earthgore. You could pull off both at same time.

Otherwise it's normal gear choices or something creative of your choice.
  • cabbageub17_ESO
    cabbageub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You can tank pretty effectively as a Warden with more Magicka than Stamina. All about shields and self heals etc. Probably not Trials or DCL Vet dungeons. Bigger issue is when you went to your healing set all the points you've "wasted" putting into health. So focus on at least 1 sustain set and give it a try.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selwind wrote: »
    josiahva wrote: »

yeah but im talking about switching gear when i want to tank. not have the same gear, skills and attributes all the time

Why not? It can be done effectively...its not like my build is 100% finished. If you are looking at just a quick skill/gear change via an add on, you can do this with any class...my pure tank does this mid-dungeon and swaps to DPS spec to help out on certain bosses. Its way too expensive and time consuming to re-spec just because you want to tank or heal....takes 5 minutes to re-do champ points and 3k gold...takes 5 mins to swap mundus...etc....whereas with a skill/gear add-on it takes 2 seconds...but faster than even that is just to always use the same gear(I use Seducer and alteration mastery on that build since regen and cost reduction are king) and have one bar for healing and one for tanking. Your goal is off-heals while tanking...or when you become expert with full gold gear to replace the healer entirely and run 3 DPS. Admittedly, playing the build takes far more skill than either healing alone or tanking alone
  • Selwind
    Selwind
    ✭✭
    I dont know im starting to feel unsafe about that... would you suggest me to make a tank only warden? or a pvp dd?
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been working on an "ultimate hybrid" set up for my warden in order to have dps, tank, and healing setups without having to reset champion points, attributes, or morphs and still hit the milestones necessary for trials and vet dlc dungeons.

Its definitely possible to set up for both tanking and healing, especially if you focus on magicka or hybridize the character. Fitting in dps is much more difficult because of the extreme minmaxing required, so that's the part I'm still working on, though reaching 25k isn't an issue I don't believe it will ever hit the numbers a pure dps build will.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Raraaku
    Raraaku
    ✭✭✭✭
    I say have fun and experiment while leveling up, you can always respec later at an affordable price, both attributes and skills. Levels 1-50 is when you get to try unconventional things and see if they work for you. Plus, at least as a tank, it's not a lot of investment to be effective for early dungeons.

I think MagWarden would do well for both tanking and healing, but it's ultimately your character that you'll be spending time leveling, so do what you want and what you feel like would work best for you.

Back from a much needed break. || I like having too many projects and working on them all at once.

Tank Enthusiast || CP: 445 || Stormproof

Tanks
    Karsaak gro-Ursa: DC || Orc || Stamina Dragonknight || Tank || Level: CP 445
    Sir Leopold Stotch: DC || Breton || Magicka Templar || Tank || Level: 445
    Protects-Squishy-Ones: EP || Argonian || Magicka Sorcerer || Tank/CC || Level: CP 445
    Björn Shadow-Walker: EP || Nord || Stamina Nightblade || Tank || Level: 15
    Tiberius Valerion: AD || Imperial || Stamina Warden || Tank || Level: 15

Damage Dealers
    Morrigan Ravyn-Cloak: AD || Altmer || Magicka Nightblade || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ra'Zahkara: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Dragonknight || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ezra al-Khazir: DC || Redguard || Stamina Templar || DPS || Level: 40
    Erryndril Telvaux: EP || Dunmer || Magicka Dragonknight || DPS || Level: 25
    Uzara gra-Khalari: DC || Orc || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [2H/DW] || Level: 15
    Solomon Motierre: DC || Breton || Magicka Sorcerer || DPS || Level: 20
    Ragnar the Wulf: EP || Nord || Stamina Warden || DPS || Level: 30
    Ra'Rahku: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [Bow/Bow] || Level: 15

Healers
    Sees-through-Hist: EP || Argonian || Magicka Warden || Healer/CC || CP 445
    Daedalus the Artificer: AD || Altmer || Magicka Templar || Healer || Level: 15
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selwind wrote: »
    So I finally bought Morrowind and I really want to level a Warden. The thing is I dont know which role to pick. I don't want another DD and I'm already leveling a Templar Healer and a DK Tank. My friend had this interesting idea of making an Argonian Warden, that can switch between Tank and Healer. Of course I'll be switching gear and most likely attributes when i do that, but what do you think about it? Do you have any other suggestions? If you approve this idea can you recommend me some healing builds and some tanking builds? Thank you in advance! <3
    Warden is healingtankdd simultaneously, at least in stamina, so you don't need to choose.
  • Selwind
    Selwind
    ✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    I've been working on an "ultimate hybrid" set up for my warden in order to have dps, tank, and healing setups without having to reset champion points, attributes, or morphs and still hit the milestones necessary for trials and vet dlc dungeons.

Its definitely possible to set up for both tanking and healing, especially if you focus on magicka or hybridize the character. Fitting in dps is much more difficult because of the extreme minmaxing required, so that's the part I'm still working on, though reaching 25k isn't an issue I don't believe it will ever hit the numbers a pure dps build will.

what are you running? and im not interested in dps at all, just healing and tanking
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the ability to craft jewelry coming with summerset isle the warden may become a good hybrid type.
    Using pelinals to make both damage points max and having the Netch to help keep your smaller resource pool full.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the ability to craft jewelry coming with summerset isle the warden may become a good hybrid type.
    Using pelinals to make both damage points max and having the Netch to help keep your smaller resource pool full.

Pelinial's is worthless for a tank, and near worthless for a healer. Marginal for DPS, I use it on a magicka/stamina hybrid of mine....and it reaches barely acceptable DPS numbers
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

Its possible, easy for vet DLC dungeons...but for trials(vet trials at least) you are talking very specialized equipment and skills...and you will still be worse at any of the 3 roles than a pure spec...so off-tank is really the best role for a toon like that where you only tank a few fights and off-heal and/or off-DPS the rest of the trial. The problem I run into with my pure tank that swaps to DPS spec for certain fights is skill points....I have all the skyshards, and 95% of the other skillpoints in the game(excluding main-zone quest skillpoints) and I am still 20-30 skill points short of all the skills and morphs I would like...and thats for a dual-role....for a tri-role the problem is even worse.