The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafting - What if I don't?

Kosef
Kosef
✭✭✭✭
Hey Folks,

Been gone from the game for more than a while. Anyway I hate crafting. I really do. I'm coming back from WoW, and while not nec. the most ideal way to play, I enjoy gathering resources and selling those for profit. Can that be done here? Or will I be severely hurting myself by skipping out on that aspect of the game. I figure I can purchase most gear I want as long as I have the funds, which is where the gathering of resources come into play.

Thanks for any assistance.
Server: PC-NA

Vincent Jurard - Breton - DK
Aronil Elsinwatch - Altmer - Templar
Ulfgar Stormbringer - Nord - Sorc
Ra'Jhera Mahrabi - Khajiit - NB
Kur Zahir - Imperial - Necro
Khur - Redguard - Warden
Lives-By-Sword - Argonian - DK
Sara Willowthorn - Bosmer - Templar
Elsa Bjariksen - Nord - NB
Soliril Elsinthar - Altmer - Sorc
Khargol Ogdum - Orc - Warden
Veros Sarvani - Dunmer - Necro
Vedran The Toxic - Dunmer - DK
Hafnar Ironbark - Nord Warden
Low - Level: Arcturus The Loyal - Templar
Guild:
[Ninja Squirrels]
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to craft yourself. There are some convenience benefits to it, but you can essentially outsource all of your crafting to others for relatively cheap.

There are a a few things you'll likely want, eventually: the ability to cheaply upgrade gear (so you can upgrade bound gear that drops yourself) and the alchemy passive that boosts potion effect duration come to mind.

The thing about crafting in this game is that trait research on the 3 gear crafts (blacksmithing, woodworking, clothing) is pretty intense, so you should keep those research slots full and ticking on whatever character you MIGHT want to use as a crafter some day. That way, if that day comes, you've already got a headstart on that particular time restraint.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Kosef
    Kosef
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the quick reply.

Khur - Redguard - Warden
    Guild:
    [Ninja Squirrels]
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy gathering resources and selling those for profit. Can that be done here?
    ABSOLUTELY! you can get rich selling the supplies you aren't going to use...
    motifs & max level tempers & the housing materials especially!
    You will still spend a little time at the craft station though... just think of it as getting your goods ready to sell.

Deconstructing loot gear (especially green or better) will level up your craft skills without you making anything.
    BUT! you will still have to spend some skill points (we get lots so don't worry) on Extraction/Unraveling to make sure you get the most valuable goods from raw materials.
    IF YOU SELL RAW MATERIALS you are also selling them the chance for all the Goodies, so price accordingly.
    & FYI the material nodes you find in-world are determined partly on combat level & partly on craft level, so you may want to spend some points there too.
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Folks,
    I enjoy gathering resources and selling those for profit. Can that be done here?

While you don't need to craft, as others have explained, for most efficient farming you need to level crafting as material nodes scale to your crafting passives and character level in a 50/50 split. Good thing is most crafting can be leveled with decon, and the two that require you make stuff, level up fast.

See this for how to level crafting easy
    Equipment Crafting

Decon all mob loot other than what you are using to research traits. Research traits, learn two on all items you would use, then learn 3, etc. Focus on Divines, Infused and Training for your first three for Armor, Sharpened, Precise and Training for your Weapons. Then go for the other ones. Nirn is expensive, and a lot of people suggest putting a priority on that, I can't see why. The Trait is all but useless for Armor or Weapons. Best place to find Mob Loot is Public Dungeons, then over land grind spots. Grind on mobs until your bags are full, then go on a decon fest. Remembering to save the ones you need or want to research. Use the Lock Function and or an Inventory Mule to hang on to those. Only invest Skill points while leveling it into the Research and Extraction Passive, the last really only needing one point.

Enchanting

Ignore all the "advice" on the web about using an enchanting partner. First, use Mob Loot decon to raise this up to a point. Later on as you approach end game have some some gold, then start making Green, Blue or Purple Glyphs on one character and decon them on an Alt. You will level Enchanting faster than trading the glyphs with another player, which is tedious by the way. (like pull out your hair and make a doily tedious). Use Green up to about L15 in the Enchanting Skill, Blue up to about L30/35 and Purple up to about L46/47. Then learn the runes you don't know, you should be at or near 50, if not, make/decon some more Purples.

Provisioning and Alchemy

Don't worry about these, you can level these professions in about an 20 minutes, for both. Just collect the Various Solvents and Reagents and Provisioning Ingredients/Recipes as you go along. Once end game, then you can level it. Use Mushrooms to level Alchemy, or Flowers that make potions you won't use. Make sure you grab solvents (waters) as your leveling as they can be rare to find in the guild stores. For Provisioning, make the highest level Green Recipes you can make. Blue or Purples do not give any more inspiration than Greens, so save those for character use.

Note, if your going to do combat and content, Alchemy and Provisioning have helpful passives to extend the time of the Potion or Food effect, so that is something you may want to have.

Edited by Nestor on March 21, 2018 6:56PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kosef
    Kosef
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the replies. Very helpful.

Khur - Redguard - Warden
    Guild:
    [Ninja Squirrels]
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    Hi, I'm coming back to the game after some time away and picking up a stamina character again (stamina sorcerer).

What crafting professions would you recommend, my thoughts are blacksmithing (weapons and chest) and clothing (medium armour), alongside alchemy and provisioning.

Is it worth looking at woodworking or enchanting for any reason? Also is it worth researching all the traits for blacksmithing and clothing light armour (I was going to research the traits for light belts as will use them)

Thanks in advance
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mandatory reason to have one crafter per account: transmute.
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    My big question is how much you commit to the games you play? If you are looking at this as a long term game and plan on doing a fair amount of end game content then yes, I would invest in crafting. If you plan on moving on in a couple months to something else or don't plan on doing vet content then no, you will have far less use for it.

I will also mention Alchemy, Provisioning and Enchanting take far less investment than the other skills and are very easy to level up cheaply with little investment in time or money for a whole lot of benefit. (Enchanting a little less than the other two)
  • Orticia
    Orticia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »

I never transmuted anything. So I am a bit hazy on how it works. I thought transmuted stuff became soulbound, so the one doing the transmuting only can use it himself. But you can give transmuted stuff to an alt then?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the Summerset chapter arrives it’s going to push the total skill points in the game over 400 skill points. That’s more than enough to max out crafting and still have plenty of room for combat skills.

If you’re diligent about getting skill points you shouldn’t have a problem.

My PvP healer has 382 skill points. 14 skill points are still unallocated ... since all the abilities I need are already unlocked.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Orticia wrote: »
    Leandor wrote: »

I never transmuted anything. So I am a bit hazy on how it works. I thought transmuted stuff became soulbound, so the one doing the transmuting only can use it himself. But you can give transmuted stuff to an alt then?

Transmuted items are account bound but not character bound. So yes, you can transmute for the benefit of another character on the same account.