The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Please help me understand something: are crafting characthers useless?

RAMAO
RAMAO
Good [period of the day you're currently in] people.

So, I've returned to the game recently after a long time out, and I'm still trying to understand some changes.

So I have this (in old terms) veteran characther with a lot of skill points sparing, and since I'm rolling with a new one I tought about making a crafting focused character out of the old one.
My veteran char already has 40 in blacksmithing, so it would be perfect right?

But I noticed something, I went on to make a lvl 14 (iron) piece of armor with the vet and it would have about 750~ armor points.
And when I tried to make the same piece with this new char, it ended up having 2100~ armor points, even tough his blacksmithing skill is 1!

Why is this? Some new mechanic preventing the use of craft focused chars? Or I am forgetting about something? Thank you for the attention.
There's no hero without an event.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is because the item is underleveled for your high level character. Try this- take the item from your max level toon and give it to your low level toon. The low level toon will see no difference in stats from the one the high level toon made and the one it made.

TLDR: It's cause one was higher level compared to the gear.

Also- welcome back!
    Edited by DocFrost72 on March 17, 2018 10:55PM
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The experience gain is tiered based on your skill in the craft. This is so you have to spend points in the skill to match the level of craft skill in order to gain the full potential of exp gain.

And the next answer tells me I misread the OP. Chalk it up to needing food. NVM
    Edited by Grimm13 on March 17, 2018 11:04PM
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lower Leveled Characters are battle-leveled to CP 160, so assuming you pass that Level 14 piece of armor on to a Level 14 character, you will see the amount of armor increase on that character. On your higher level character, the level 14 gear appears like the piece of **** it would be if you wore it on that character.
  • RAMAO
    RAMAO
    Thanks for the answers everyone!
    There's no hero without an event.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would also add that having a 9 trait researched, fully leveled crafter, is an extremely useful and valuable asset, especially if you have, or plan on having, Alts.

I have 14 characters and being able to craft any craftable set, runes, food or potions, whenever you want without relying on others, is a real time saver.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always nice to have if you've a spare slot & have the patience for research. Can be independant as you don't have to reply on others.

Also saves a bit of coin in the long run :smile:
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS