The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is there a way to signal pacifism in Cyrodiil?

Danikat
Danikat
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Before I start: I am NOT looking for a guaranteed way to not be attacked in Cyrodiil. I understand that any enemy player can (and technically should) kill me on sight (or at least try to) no matter what I'm doing, or what they're doing and I accept that.

But I also know that plenty of people go to Cyrodiil strictly for PvE purposes - mainly to complete delves and collect sky shards. If I'm in Cyrodiil doing that and I come across an enemy player I suspect might be there for the same reason is there a universally acknowledged way to let them know I won't attack if they don't? I know in some games the convention is to bow or wave or sit down, but I'm not sure about ESO.
PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that I know of. I too go to Cyro for PVE content and often to Imperial City and the Sewers for Telvar. I always go on Non CP campaign which lessens the crowd size quite a bit. When I see enemy players I do not engage them. Sometimes they leave me alone, sometimes they attack.

• witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard that holding block is often used to indicate one isn't there to PVP.

But, as you note, entrance into Cyro is consent to PVP.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's not really a standard signal that I know of.

Holding block and not attacking is a good signal, perhaps followed by a wave.

I'm only in the Imperial City for fish, so starting to fish worked for me once when I had two AD chasing my EP character.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you see another player you think is just there to PvE, and you don't want to engage them, don't make any aggressive movements. If they are far away, don't move closer, stop and then move in a direction away from them. If they see you, you can show your non hostile intent by doing the block animation a few times and/or putting away you weapon. You can cap that off with a /wave to show you are friendly.

That said, you will eventually get betrayed, like a lot. The other player may change their mind and get tired of you, and now you have your guard down. Before long, you will find the more prudent course of action is to either kill that player or sneak away and go elsewhere. (Invisible+speed potions are good for the latter.) If you still feel like being nice, wait for the player to grab that skyshard, kill that boss, or turn in the quest before you kill them.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • ofSunhold
    ofSunhold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might look for/try hopping (backward) or waving. Holding block used to be the thing, but that's actually the opening move in combat for some people now, I wouldn't trust it. Hopping: "I see you too, I'm going to just do this thing over here, don't really want to fight." Holding block: "Go ahead and hit me, my group will be here in a few more seconds."

That's just me though, there's nothing universal afaik.
    Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I think there is. Pacifists are usually identified in Cyrodiil with a little PLUS SIGN above them. Others share this symbol, so it is not exclusive to pacifists. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ lol!!

But yeah the block thing may work.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • DKsUnite
    DKsUnite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usually you just tea bag
    Vyr Cor | Magicka Dragonknight | DC
    Vir Cor | Stamina Dragonknight | DC

Latest Videos:
    Magicka Dragonknight: Vyr Cor | "A Dragon's Fury" | Magicka Dragonknight PvP
    Stamina Dragonknight: Vir Cor | "Heathen" | Stamina Dragonknight PvP

Youtube: CorGaming
  • RippingIt
    RippingIt
    Cyrodiil is a PVP zone.
    I'd suggest gearing yourself appropriately and stacking up on invisibility potions should you really want to avoid combat, but don't expect anyone to show you mercy. The weak are meat, the strong eat.

Screenshot_20180306_175439.png
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone's interested I've so far found that the most effective way is simply to do nothing. Just stand still, weapons stowed.

Some people still killed me, although some seemed a bit unsure about it when I didn't react, even stopping periodically as if waiting for me to do something. (Although once I was actually afk, watching from the kitchen so I couldn't do anything even if I wanted to.) But others have hit me once or twice, or just drawn their weapons and then left me alone.

Whereas sitting, waving or bowing, the things which have worked for me in other games, all seem to be taken as a sign to attack, as does blocking.

Incidentally trying to do a Dolmen with friendly enemy players is an interesting challenge. I was in Bruma doing the PvE quests at the same time as a few other people, at least 1 of us from each Alliance, when the Dolmen started up. At first we were all fighting as normal but then I realised we were hurting each other as well as the daedra so I switched to single-target attacks only (luckily I was on a character where I could do that) and I noticed everyone else doing the same. It's an interesting change having to actually aim and time your attacks to make sure you hit the enemy and not the 'ally' next to them, but we managed to finish the Dolmen with no player deaths. Then we all stood around awkwardly for a bit like everyone was thinking 'so do we fight each other now'? Before heading off in case anyone actually did.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup tea bagging shows you're friendly, unless you're doing it on a corpse :wink:
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see a non PvP version of Cyrodiil just to do the quests, delves and get the skyshards also to explore the region without getting ganked. Yes, I'm a weakling scrub, I fully admit it :smiley:
    PC EU & NA
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try /kowtow and see if that works. I've considered using that when it's like 3-v-zerg+ at a keep, just for laughs.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jumping sometimes works but never assume, particularly if you did something that looked shady.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had someone start playing their lute when I got close. I wasn't there for pve, but I figured they were, so I just left them alone.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sheath your weapon
    Edited by NyassaV on March 27, 2018 8:46PM
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard that holding block works sometimes.
    You'll pretty much be dead by the time you can type in any sort of emote.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was doing my explorer title I saw 3 people in delves from other factions, all waiting at boss spawn points. I used to /dance and it always worked, we ended up spamming emotes till the bosses spawned and then I bowed and we went opposite ways. Lucky? Not sure, I was a high cp so maybe people didn't wanna try or just maybe they were like me only there for the pve. Weird that you can dungeon, hang around with and befriend any faction yet when you step in cyrodiil everyone has to hate each other.

If only imperial city had those sorta civilised types...
    Edited by greylox on March 28, 2018 12:25PM
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see a non PvP version of Cyrodiil just to do the quests, delves and get the skyshards also to explore the region without getting ganked. Yes, I'm a weakling scrub, I fully admit it :smiley:

It'd be boring. Cyrodiil is a huge zone with comparatively little PVP content. Most of the town quests are "go there-talk to/kill this NPC" because the "getting there" is presumed to be adventurous enough due to PVP.

I cleared all the towns in a day on a fairly empty campaign. Theres not a lot of meat to Cyrodiil PVE. If it weren't for the respawn timer on delve bosses, those would be easy instead of just tedious.
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Before I start: I am NOT looking for a guaranteed way to not be attacked in Cyrodiil. I understand that any enemy player can (and technically should) kill me on sight (or at least try to) no matter what I'm doing, or what they're doing and I accept that.

But I also know that plenty of people go to Cyrodiil strictly for PvE purposes - mainly to complete delves and collect sky shards. If I'm in Cyrodiil doing that and I come across an enemy player I suspect might be there for the same reason is there a universally acknowledged way to let them know I won't attack if they don't? I know in some games the convention is to bow or wave or sit down, but I'm not sure about ESO.

lay dead on the floor and just don´t get up?
  • Cave_Canem
    Cave_Canem
    ✭✭✭
    If you stop, I will accept your challenge.

If you run, I will give chase.

If you block, you show you are ready for combat.

...and if you get your lute out and start playing Red Diamond, the very clouds above will be misted with your blood!

Oh, unless you can play a jaunty rendition of 'Cliff Strider'; I'll dance a merry jig to the nearest Skyshard for you, while you bellow my favourite line: "You nest in our lofts, spray dung on the wall"!

Welcome to Cyrodil.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    RippingIt wrote: »
    Cyrodiil is a PVP zone.
    I'd suggest gearing yourself appropriately and stacking up on invisibility potions should you really want to avoid combat, but don't expect anyone to show you mercy. The weak are meat, the strong eat.

Screenshot_20180306_175439.png

This, pretty much. Anything other than hiding or staying out of the main PVP keep circle means that you’re free AP for someone.

Imperial City even more so, because killing you means that I get half of your TV stones. And most of us there aren’t going to pass up on that.