The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Common Furnishing caps?

Ajitator
Ajitator
✭✭✭
Apologies I'm sure this has been discussed at length but someone in my guild was mentioning an increase to the cap of current house furnishings but I can't find any information indicating this.

Anyone heard similar? I don't know how you're supposed to fully decorate these places with only 700 items.
  • riberion
    riberion
    ✭✭✭
    No, they haven't made any announcement about increasing the caps. I think the best we have gotten is an acknowledgement that everyone would like an increase. Hopefully we will see something with the upcoming chapter and the base game update that will come along with it.

I do agree that it's hard to fully decorate a notable home with the 700 slots available. I actually prefer large homes since it's easier to more fully decorate within the item limits.
    PC NA
  • Woefulmonkey
    Woefulmonkey
    ✭✭✭
    People seem to think this is a 'Easy' thing to do, when it is extremely hard. At least when you have to ensure even the lowest end hardware can load all the furniture items and then run at a decent number of frames per second.

I have an Xbox 1 X which is not the lowest specs ESO has to support. I managed to decorate my entire house including adding scaffolding to reach inaccessible areas, placing all crafting stations, and creating a complete custom hidden cave for my Fence to hang out in... all using less than 400 slots.

So... what is my performance like, I mean I only used 377 slots so it should be fine right?... it take almost 10 seconds just to load the furniture in after the 'House Instance' loads. I don't notice any framerate issues but that is a hell of a long post zone load delay just to see my furniture when I am at about half the current cap. Also Item load times do not increase linearly they go up at a near exponential rate.. so loading in say 3000 items would not take 100 seconds... it would more likely take 3+ minutes.

Decorating a large home and staying under 700 slots 'Is Possible'. I am not saying you can decorate it with a ton of custom block to build your own structures walls and doorways or that you can do things exactly they way 'you' imagine, just that it 'Is Possible'.

If you want to make realistic asks of ESO that are 'easily' achieved without tanking system performance... ask for more 'fully populated' furniture items.

Instead of giving us 'Block' to build our own walls and doorways... give us Fing pre created walls and doorway. (Which use about the same resources as 1 simple block does).

Instead of placing a bookshelf then stacking books in it... give us more 'fully populate' bookshelves. (Again using 1 furniture slot instead of 20 or 30).

That is a 'real' solution to the slot count issue that is not only achievable but would make decorating easier.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, ZOS should add better building materials to the game. That would help quite a bit. But, I don't build anything and I run into the caps all the time.

Why? Well, first of all, yes, I do like to have some detail added to a room. Like dishes on the shelves/counters in the kitchen. But, having all that pre-fab? Uh...no, then I'm limited to what they've put together.

Second, I'd like to actually put the lore books out on the shelves - that takes up slots, but you know...I'd like to be able to display them, rather than a shelf full of books that aren't books. They've given us these furnishings, but they eat up slots like crazy.

Third, I don't like dark houses, and lights take up a lot of slots. If they could give them a larger radius, that would help.

So, yes, I agree that there are other solutions that could help with the slot count, but it still would be nice if they could figure out a way to increase it. Also, I have an Xbox 1 X too, and my furniture doesn't take nearly that long to load in. But, I am using an SSD.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on March 19, 2018 10:11PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the pre-fabs versus pieces is an either/or situation. A dining table with empty plates etc. can then be further embellished with the food items, for example.

I do agree strongly with the light argument. It's less complex for the rendering engine to have fewer light sources to deal with, so more coverage is win/win. Perfect answer would let the player adjust the light, instead of just having on/off. Maybe a fixed fall-off rate, so brighter = larger radius.