Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

My Velothi Reverie

Carbonised
Carbonised
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Alright, the time has come to reveal one of my pearls, the Velothi Reverie. With these larger houses, I will be decorating them according to a theme, and this house serves as my grand library. Unfortunately, we all know that showcasing books in ESO homes is a bit of a pain. One thing is placement, the books can often be hard to fit onto objects or into bookcases, and you have to place them very carefully for them to be even readable and interactable. However, by far the largest frustration with books is how massively an amount of item slots they eat up. Each little book takes up a slot, so 200-250 books, which is about the amount I have in my library, eats up an accordingly amount of slots, which leaves very few slots left for the rest of the place. That means that while I am quite happy with how my library section of the Velothi Reverie turned out, the rest of the home is unfortunately quite sparsely decorated. For shame, ZOS. You're really making it hard to enjoy this decorating sometimes. Not to mention how almost all the book clutter items are Crown Store exclusives, such as stacks of books and scrolls. I only use a few of those in this home, since I won't feed ZOS a massive amount of money for hiding these items behind a paywall.
My library contains all of the Shalidor's Library books that concern the topics of magic, enchantment, history, artifacts as well as Daedra and Coldharbour. It also contains a few assorted books, as well as most of the lorebooks from the Deshaan and Stonefalls zones (those that are about dark elves anwyay, I passed on the Nord and Argonian related books, sorry). This reflects the personal taste of this Dunmer librarian, and quite frankly it was impossible to include every single Shalidor's Library book in this home, and still have it look somewhat cool, with the furniture limit. Where are the 36 Sermons of Vivec and the Truth in Sequence series? While I would have liked to include them here as well, they simply took up too many furniture slots, so I have saved them in a small library at my mage's laboratory in Quondam Indorilia instead.

Anywho, another thing I have been thinking about is video recording. I am now getting to some of the homes that are so large and full of detail, that it will take a massive amount of pictures to do them justice, so I am going to try and see if I can instead record some video clips and present them in that way instead. I have never done this before, so I am open for tips regarding recording and editing software and such.

As for this presentation, I will first present the library, the heart and soul of my Velothi Reverie, in this post, and in another post will follow pictures from the rest of the house, to split it up a bit.

So, here we are. The library occupies the entire basement area. I really like how the pillars break the view up a bit, with a long hallway and some side alleys. Perfect design for a library vault.
5VOgglX.jpg

The view of the long hallway
dd5CCqv.jpg

Close up of a book displayed on a desk
SLTXR6z.jpg

A sofa and pillows arrangement has been placed at the end of the hallway, a reading area
hNjr3jE.jpg

The pillars provide opportunity to hang braziers, lights and censers for atmosphere
FJk0q37.jpg

A panorama of the reading area. A cozy sofa and pillows have been placed near the table, lots of book clutter and some readable books as well
BNkuRvP.jpg

The reading and studying area
bE9btXV.jpg

A scroll case provides fresh parchment as well as various bound scrolls
ABjwxZe.jpg

A table has been set against one pillar, with writing implements as well as various book clutter
m5uS6PS.jpg

No Dunmer library is complete without a Velothi book of ancestors as well as a small meditation stool
nWY7T9A.jpg

Panorama of the opposite end of the library. Large Hlaalu filled bookcases and a scribe's desk
QJ7CCaT.jpg

Close up of the scribe's desk
mmy0D52.jpg

Indira sitting at the desk. Notice all the book clutter and candles placed on book stacks
vSQRV83.jpg

Again candles and books
SQrf1vY.jpg

A closer look at the vaulted ceiling and pillars of the library
35Np0zo.jpg

Indira the scholar and librarian
aM1YgFV.jpg
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, moving on to the rest of the house. Again, things will probably look a bit bare-boned, since I didn't have any more furnishing slots available.

The entrance hall. The 4 books from the Mage's Guild questline have been placed on special display
    pY4YaJ8.jpg

Entrance hall, opposite view
    JasfNQ7.jpg

Mage guild books, opposite view
    ZWdnMLF.jpg

Entering the home, you are met with full bookcases right at the entrance
    QaPNRSf.jpg

Most of my books I managed to place in the small alcoves of the Dark Elf Bookcase piece of furniture. But several of the books were too large to be placed in there, or in any other bookcase I could find. So I had to resort to simply laying them out on a piece of flat surface, such as you can see here. For shame, ZOS. You really need to give us a better way to display our book collection than this, it's amateurish.
    twTuPyZ.jpg

More books that are too large for the bookcases. And I ran out of furniture slots, so I couldn't even place a desk or bar to put them on
    guEYAAd.jpg

And more books, though the room looks sort of empty otherwise
    LqsPyNz.jpg

Master bedroom upstairs, nothing much interesting here
    g2ldUiW.jpg

Guestroom/spare bedroom. Again just pretty basic
    Azomym8.jpg

The small garden outside is pretty basic as well. Again, furniture slot limit. I did manage to place a small guar and some plants and carts for atmosphere
    gtUODyE.jpg

I had great plans for the terrace or small stone plaza. Place a few benches and settees and make a cosy outside reading area. Maybe if furniture slots are ever raised
    wFyoRaB.jpg

For now the only thing I could fit was this small settee and a pillow at least
    qpShP21.jpg

A few glowstalks and a cart at least makes the garden appear somewhat atmospheric
    EqILMB8.jpg
    Edited by Carbonised on March 15, 2018 11:29AM
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your character has a pedantic trait and he is a perfectionist to the boot, than I can applaud you on the way you furnished this estate.

But from humble nwah perspective, your interior needs more casual touch. Those uniformly distributed books look very artificial, you don't fell the soul behind this kind of interior. You need to add a bit of mundane chaos: small things that look like they were left in a hurry or forgotten after something took your character's attention. Sometimes it is an overturned cup on a table, or messily placed pillows etc. Your current item positioning is too orderly.

And a good literature fan should always have some food around, because everybody knows that authors do like describing different dishes and savories which is unbearable for someone who is a bit hungry and have no time to cook between reading sessions.
    I suppose you can devour one book after another, but only if you are a bookworm. Otherwise you need some other sources of nutrients XD
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on March 15, 2018 5:56PM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your character has a pedantic trait and he is a perfectionist to the boot, than I can applaud you on the way you furnished this estate.

But from humble nwah perspective, your interior needs more casual touch. Those uniformly distributed books look very artificial, you don't fell the soul behind this kind of interior. You need to add a bit of mundane chaos: small things that look like they were left in a hurry or forgotten after something took your character's attention. Sometimes it is an overturned cup on a table, or messily placed pillows etc. Your current item positioning is too orderly.

And a good literature fan should always have some food around, because everybody knows that authors do like describing different dishes and savories which is unbearable for someone who is a bit hungry and have no time to cook between reading sessions.
    I suppose you can devour one book after another, but only if you are a bookworm. Otherwise you need some other sources of nutrients XD

There are many things I would have liked to add to this home, but like I mentioned several times, the item cap is very real, especially when every single small book takes up an item slot.
  • WaterBearer
    WaterBearer
    ✭✭
    I like the idea of reserving your homes for specific purposes, a grand library being a great idea for one. I'm actually in the process of making my own in Erstwhile, which will definitely help on the furnishing cap issue.

I love what you've done with this! Standing the readable books up with covers forward in the shelves is a good idea. Could you turn them so just the binding is facing front? Or does that glitch with them being able to be read? That would probably make a lot more space in one bookshelf and make it seem more organic. I would even suggest getting rid of certain furniture that doesn't add to the feel of a library: like beds, etc. This would free up some item spaces and stick true to your themed way of decorating since a library is typically non-lodging. But I understand if you still want a little residential area for immersion sake.

Also, where did you get those brightly colored candles from?! I must have them!

• NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Candles are from luxury furnisher, Dark Brotherhood themed I suppose. Would be available in a few month
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Candles are from luxury furnisher, Dark Brotherhood themed I suppose. Would be available in a few month

Nope. The red candle on the scribe's table is the Velothi Candle, Mourning. Though it is indeed from the luxury NPC.

The red candles in the flasks are the Candles of Silence from the DB NPC from the daily handouts.
    I like the idea of reserving your homes for specific purposes, a grand library being a great idea for one. I'm actually in the process of making my own in Erstwhile, which will definitely help on the furnishing cap issue.

I love what you've done with this! Standing the readable books up with covers forward in the shelves is a good idea. Could you turn them so just the binding is facing front? Or does that glitch with them being able to be read? That would probably make a lot more space in one bookshelf and make it seem more organic. I would even suggest getting rid of certain furniture that doesn't add to the feel of a library: like beds, etc. This would free up some item spaces and stick true to your themed way of decorating since a library is typically non-lodging. But I understand if you still want a little residential area for immersion sake.

Also, where did you get those brightly colored candles from?! I must have them!

I don't think the books can stand any other way, and still be readable. When you stack them as you normally would books, with the spine out and side by side, they become unreadable, as the interacting prompt becomes unavailable. They need to be placed with some space apart to even be used.

Thing is, if I pull out the desks and beds and such, the rooms will be completely stripped bare, and I don't really want that. For the very few slots I have used for beds and nightstands, I at least get to fill out the rooms just a little bit, instead of leaving them all bare.

The fact is that with the current furniture limits, you can't really make a functional and complete library, at least not if you want to decorate the rest of your house as well. I could have used up all my slots for books and library items, and then the rest of the house would have been completely empty, which wouldn't have looked good.
    ZOS just needs to raise the limits on houses, and especially concerning books, since they all take up an enormous amount of slots.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Have no words... All the work of book placing... Another fantastic job, dear ser!
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have no words... All the work of book placing... Another fantastic job, dear ser!

Thank you =D Indeed it took a very long time to place all those books so they looked alright within those bookcases. Phew.

I'll try and see if I can record some video of the homes instead, should be more interesting to watch than all the many pictures.
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    Love it. Especially the basement. So warm and cozy - that space is so dank and claustrophobic you have done an amazing job!!
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VonNelson wrote: »
    Love it. Especially the basement. So warm and cozy - that space is so dank and claustrophobic you have done an amazing job!!

Thanks so much! Yes, the placement of quite a few light sources really bring out the best in that room.

I really like the general outlay of that chamber, the pillars and vaulted ceiling and small side corridors are really great for creation, instead of just having a big empty space.
    I use that same room at my Quondam Indorili as a mage's laboratory with an alchemy wing and an enchanting wing. It's almost all done, I just have to figure out how to do some video recording, since I think that will bring about a better presentation of my houses than a massive amount of pictures, especially for the larger ones.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've actually been able to place books on the Dark Elf Bookshelf with the spines out. I think I only put two in each of the compartments, so there is some space between them, but I can still interact with them once placed. They do have to be placed just right, with a bit of the spine sticking out from the edge of the shelf, but they don't stick out far enough to be noticeable.

Also, how did you place that carpet at the entryway? When I try to place a carpet near the door, it's always red. Is that a PC add-on? I can't place objects in any of my homes that are in front of entry doors, not even carpets. I can do so at doors that aren't the main entrance (spawn point).

Great job, by the way, considering the item limit. If only they would implement a storage feature that would allow us to store books in a shelf and have them displayed (as in Skyrim). Even if they did this, they'd probably introduce some special storage bookshelves like they did with the storage chests, and make the current craftable bookshelves even more pointless.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    I've actually been able to place books on the Dark Elf Bookshelf with the spines out. I think I only put two in each of the compartments, so there is some space between them, but I can still interact with them once placed. They do have to be placed just right, with a bit of the spine sticking out from the edge of the shelf, but they don't stick out far enough to be noticeable.

Also, how did you place that carpet at the entryway? When I try to place a carpet near the door, it's always red. Is that a PC add-on? I can't place objects in any of my homes that are in front of entry doors, not even carpets. I can do so at doors that aren't the main entrance (spawn point).

Great job, by the way, considering the item limit. If only they would implement a storage feature that would allow us to store books in a shelf and have them displayed (as in Skyrim). Even if they did this, they'd probably introduce some special storage bookshelves like they did with the storage chests, and make the current craftable bookshelves even more pointless.

Interesting. I sort of like how I displayed them, though. Since it shows the front cover of every book, plus then a book takes up a single slot in the bookcases. Which means less slots to fill out, and less empty bookcases =p
    But yes, no matter how you do it, making bookcases and libraries is really rather pointless, at least with the current furnishing limit.

That carpet actually came with the house, since I bought it furnished. I left it there exactly because you can't usually place carpets so close to a door. Unless you're ZOS, apparently =p

Thanks for the compliment, I'm actually trying out some video recording now, will upload a small one to the Ebony Flask thread, but I'm going to try and use video for the larger homes too, it is a better way to show them off!

Edited by Carbonised on March 19, 2018 9:50PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ah, I see. If I had purchased it furnished, I would have left the carpet there, too. :smile:

There's a carpet in the Barbed Hook Apartment, which I purchased furnished, that I've left exactly where it is, as when I try to shift it a bit, it suddenly turns red and if I removed it, I wouldn't be able to place it again. It isn't in front of the door entirely, but just enough of it is that if I try to adjust it slightly, to fit how I'd like it to under the desk, it turns red.

Ah, well...

I also like how you placed your books, especially the ones with the Daedric symbol on the cover. I've only got two bookshelves in my home, and only have two lorebook collections on display. But, yes, the way I've placed them leaves some empty compartments, which I've filled with inkwells, quills, paper, etc.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Ah, I see. If I had purchased it furnished, I would have left the carpet there, too. :smile:

There's a carpet in the Barbed Hook Apartment, which I purchased furnished, that I've left exactly where it is, as when I try to shift it a bit, it suddenly turns red and if I removed it, I wouldn't be able to place it again. It isn't in front of the door entirely, but just enough of it is that if I try to adjust it slightly, to fit how I'd like it to under the desk, it turns red.

Ah, well...

I also like how you placed your books, especially the ones with the Daedric symbol on the cover. I've only got two bookshelves in my home, and only have two lorebook collections on display. But, yes, the way I've placed them leaves some empty compartments, which I've filled with inkwells, quills, paper, etc.

That sounds nice as well. Be sure to make some picture galleries or videos of your homes, you got me very interested now =)

In my Quondam Indorilia, which I just finished yesterday, I have a small library as well, some of the bookcases have been filled with books like this, and some have been filled with clutter such as you mention here. Unfortunately, all that clutter really eats up slots extremely fast. I'm just glad I managed to finish my mage's laboratory before working on the clutter.

I'm going to make a small video today of my Velothi Reverie, just to do it real justice, and hopefully show more of the books I have placed here. After that, it's time to make videos of Quondam Indorilia and Ald Velothi Harbor House, since those two have now been ready for some time.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, here's the video for my Velothi Reverie. I went straight to the basement library and did all the filming there. There are other wings, a top floor and an outdoor garden too, but as I have already mentioned, the library and all the books really take up all the slots unfortunately, so the rest of the house is a bit sparsely decorated. There are still pictures in the original post of the rest of the house. Hope you enjoy the video, and looking at my library.