The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Quality of stolen items?

Feric51
Feric51
✭✭✭✭✭
I was wondering what, if anything, affects the quality of items stolen via pickpocketing or looting owned containers?

I've heard that progressing ranks in the Legerdemain and Thieves Guild skill lines has some effect, but didn't know if that was hearsay or based on fact?

Any evidence supporting your claim would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance!
Feric51
Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bubump. im curious as well :)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my understanding it's all random and nothing effects this.

ZOS are normally pretty good at telling us when skills/effects buff drops so we don't have to deal with much speculation.

None of the skills in legerdemain or thieves guild lines mention any changes to drop chances so I would say it's more speculation/rumour (like the dolman pinions) unless anyone is able to provide some evidence of long testing with recorded results to say otherwise.
    Edited by Turelus on March 13, 2018 2:01PM
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's all about have you left an offering to RNGjesus lately
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    I was wondering what, if anything, affects the quality of items stolen via pickpocketing or looting owned containers?
    I just put champion points into a skill tree which had an affect on the quality of items I get from chests as well as the amount of gold. I'm seeing more blue items in chests. Haven't pickpocketed yet (skill too low for a success), but I don't think this will be affected since it's not a chest.
    I've heard that progressing ranks in the Legerdemain and Thieves Guild skill lines has some effect, but didn't know if that was hearsay or based on fact?
    I only noticed a higher chance of blue items seemed dependent on the difficulty of the lock. As my skills improved, I didn't notice a change in percentage.

But I need to say that, given how much I was thieving with this character, it's all kind of a giant blur. I was mostly stealing to level up. If it was green or better, it went into my pocket.
    Any evidence supporting your claim would be helpful as well.
    Other than the increase in gold due to the champion points, I've got no proof either way. Sorry.

• SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Natch Potes 2.6.4, Legerdemain now influences the quality of loot obtained from Justice activities.
    * Higher skill ranks in Legerdemain provide a better chance to "find" higher quality items.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Natch Potes 2.6.4, Legerdemain now influences the quality of loot obtained from Justice activities.
    * Higher skill ranks in Legerdemain provide a better chance to "find" higher quality items.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Treasure Hunter CP passive only effects treasure chests in overland zones, dungeons, and trials. It does not effect stolen items, safeboxes, or dolmen chests.
  • Taloros
    Taloros
    ✭✭✭✭

This fits my perception. With Legerdemain 20, you are much, much more likely to find blue quality items. With a very low skill level, pretty much all loot is of white quality.
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Just checked it does say that. All my characters get legerdemain leveled to 20 within the first 2 weeks of creating them, for the lock-picking passive.

I don't notice any difference on standard stolen loot. But in Morrowind when many people where complaining about the drop rate on the 3 house motifs which are earned from pick pocketing I was racking in the gold. I would log one character pick pocket 5-6 people(pick pick stab method) and log onto next character and do the same. Each rotation of 10 characters would usually give me 5 or 6 motif pages. So maybe there is something to it.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ledgermain ranks directly impact it. Have tested this with theivery guild events at a large scale. The difference is very noticeable on the ratio of white to green to blue. Purps won’t even drop with bad ledgermain.