The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Experience gains solo/group : help me understand

VexingArcanist
VexingArcanist
✭✭✭✭
I've tried googling but most hits don't answer the question I am looking for.

When not grouped and hitting mobs others are hitting, do you take a share of the xp or is the xp rewarded for the mobs 100% for everyone?

I ask this cause during my game time thus far I often "help" others or I just attack stuff and hope I am not "leeching" their full rewards.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not 100% on the breakdowns but it's something like this.

If a single person attacks a monster they get full XP.
    If multiple players attack the same monster the XP is shared out.

Two players in a group will earn more XP/hour than a single person, but more than two makes it less valuable.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pulling this from memory, so I could be a bit off, but it basically agrees with what @Turelus just stated.

To simplify math lets assume the mob gives 1,000 xp.

Solo = 1,000 xp per kill
    Group of 2 players = 1,100 xp for each player (x1.1 modifier)
    Group of 3 players = 850 xp for each player
    Group of 4 players = 750 xp for each player
    I believe there is a hard cap for xp reduction where at some point adding players to the group will not reduce the xp gains any further.

If multiple players attack the same mob that are not in a group together I'm not sure how the xp is delegated, but I'm nearly positive it is reduced. Factors such as whether the characters are CP level may play a role as well.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, that's what I have heard as well but how the two people being faster works I've always have conflicting reports of if they actually gain more base XP or it was due to faster killing.

It's also worth noting OP that you're free to help people all you want, sometimes people get defensive about "their" mobs but there are no hard rules about attacking the same monster as another player. That said if you do find people grinding an area it's normally polite to not interrupt if avoidable. Kill what you need for your quest, or item and then move on.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • VexingArcanist
    VexingArcanist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, you affirmed what I believed to be the case. The reason I asked today is because I was in a localized spot where many go to grind and I got there after this other group with straggers were going at it, and for a while I followed a long but felt I was diminishing there results.

Yes I am free to grind any spot even if the same, but it felt rude for me to basically ninja xp.
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they're a bot train I don't see any problem with running ahead of them killing the mobs. Quite funny; they haven't programmed the bots to send you hate whispers yet. :tongue:
    PC, EU
    Not elite, not the best. Just enjoying ESO.
    Not the worst either. "Casual" != "totally ignorant"
    @taciti