Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Seeking advice on Dragonknight

Vrox
Vrox
Soul Shriven
Hi, I'm new to ESO. I used to play Skyrim. I've tested a few classes to level 15/16 and now I've decided to settle on Imperial Dragonknight.
I wish to get some advice on the distribution ratio of Magicka/Health/Stamina and skill set.
My plan as follows:
- PvE
- 90% solo (due to personal commitment, my play time generally last only about 1 hour. I feel that if join any group and have to leave in middle of any quest, it is an insult to other players.)
- 80% dps / 20% tank
- 1 H sword and shield / bow
- 5 Medium armour / 2 heavy
- major in stamina
I've search around and it seems to me everyone is playing with all in to 100% Magicka or 100% Stamina. Is there anyone actually distribute the attribute across all 3?
Thanks in advance.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most damage abilities scale with max magicka if a magicka skill or max stamina if a stamina skill. So by increasing the amount of stamina or magicka you have, you do more damage. That's why most builds emphasize putting all your attributes in magicka or stamina.

Hybrids can work, but they generally are not as easy to play or as effective as players that put all their attributes into one stat.
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like ^ said, you’re not creating an optimal situation if you don’t stack all you can into max mag/stam. In light of that, if you plan to do any end game pvp/pve and really be competitive and min/max your character, you’ll want to halt the imperial character and go with a dunmer for magicka builds, redguard for stamina builds, or argonian (you could get away with keeping imperial here) for tanks. Same reasons as the attribute points, those races are optimal for their respective builds.

That being said- you can get away with any race playing any role if you want to do it. It won’t be completely min/maxed, but it will certainly work for you in all but the hardest content.

rip decibel
  • ValkynSketha
    ValkynSketha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a new player and below 300cp, you should consider having 18-20k health point and rest into your main chosen resource stamina or magica, i guess you don't have vigor for healing as stamina, then i would advise you to go with two handed main and bow back,
    As for skills i advise:
    Main 2h: brawler-noxious breath- venemous claw-reverse slice-rally/trap beast - flawless dawnbreaker/corrosive armour/standard of might
    Back bow: poison injection-draining shot/caltrops-endless hail-trap beast/vigor-igneous weapon/molten armament - ballista/standard of might/corrosive armour

Keep in mind there is ways of obtaining and hitting the recommended health like:
    -Attributes.
    -CP points up tp 300cp.
    -Health enchant specially on big pieces.
    -healthy trait on jewlery.
    -undaunted and heavy armour passives.

Later on when you have more experience you can drop down the health to 16-17k for more resources. As well when you have vigor and caltrops you could go with the standard dual wield/bow setup.
  • Vrox
    Vrox
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm sort of trying RP (similar to when I played Skyrim) My reason are:
    - Imperial - a reminder roman in Asterix/Obelix. ( I like those comics)
    - Because of the above, sword and shield is a must.
    - I do like sniping, so I've chosen bow as a secondary weapon.
    I'm not looking at end game at the moment as it will be a long way for me (based on my previous WoW experience, my play style would take me at least 6 months, possible longer, before I even reach level 50).
    I'll learn about CP later on - I'll ask for help when I reached / tested at that level and getting nowhere ( I believe I can respecs CP if I've chosen the wrong way ).
    I like PvE and I will try to get every side quest done, possible doing some crafting on the way.
    Grinding is not a problem for me as I do enjoy running around exploring every little corner. I even like fishing in this game.
    I'm just trying to get some advise so I don't die off too many time.
    I don't mind respecs my attribute/skills.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd put everything into stamina. Basically, if you decide you want more health later, it's easier to replace a glyph on an armor piece with a health glyph, rather than re-speccing your attributes.
    I have a dragon knight tank, and I still put all my points into stamina, basically just to make him versatile. That way, he can do good damage as DPS, or be a good tank, with just a change in his armor and I don't have to re-spec him every time I switch.
    Mine is trained in both dual wield AND sword and shield. I only use the sword and shield for tanking, because you'll get better DPS with dual wield (or 2-handed).
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play as Hybrid, It might take more time and patience to Vanquish foes, but tis incredibly rewarding. You have the control my character for Instance , The Build I use it gives her {Vanyalicious} a powerful Defensive and Offensive Capabilities. I have completely ignored investing any of the Attributes towards Magicka. My plan is to balance Stamina/Health with desire to rather have a greater Stamina, but without the impairment of my Health bar.

Some of my Dragonknight abilites are either Magicka or Stamina. I do have posses nor I intended to got for pure Stamina or Magicka build.

As for weapon specialization which is also and twas my favourite: Dual-Wield with a focus on Heavy Armour and Racial Passives for now.

Ultimate Ability: Ferocious Roar {Dragon Leap} while Dual wield potency allow her to unleash total carnage against number of enemies while soaking up the damage and staying alive.

It's a perfect mix for me.

The Second Quickslot bar has the Bow Ranged weapon as backup with Dragonblood/Immovable for extra Survival boost.

Few other skills will be such are the rest of the Dual wield skill line when Unlocked.

Heavy Armour passives are superb with the combo of Dual wield and then you have Incredible healing and defensive skills from Draconic power line.

Kind Regards
    Edited by Vanya on March 16, 2018 11:23AM
  • Vrox
    Vrox
    Soul Shriven
    Hey Vanyalicious, what ratio you put on Health/Stamina?
    I'm currently up to level 16. I put nothing in Magicka, and ration for Health/Stamina is 1:5.
    For armour, I use 5 Medium 2 Heavy.
  • McI
    McI
    ✭✭✭
    Imperial is a pretty soild choice for DPS, I respec'd my tank to DPS and he does well. As for stat allocation, it is normally enough to just have a piece or two of your armor enchanted with health glyphs if you are a little low on health.

Once you get the Undaunted rank 9 perk for having on of each armor type equiped you have decent health with an Imperial. I have all points in stamina, all enchantments stamina, and I am a little over 18k health as a DPS.