The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

About to Start an RP "Permadeath" Guild!

vivapadomay
vivapadomay
✭✭✭
Hey all! Newbie here, to MMOs at least, but I've clocked 2000+ hours with the TES series and I'm a D&D fanatic. My friend finally got me to join ESO, and we've been playing with "permadeth" meaning that when our characters die we make a new character and delete the old one -- equipment and all! It's been great fun roleplaying with people in the TES universe. One of my characters is finally about to reach level 10 (I'm so proud of her!) and I was thinking of starting a guild for people who would also like to play with "permadeath."

I'm posting here to basically gauge interest and perhaps get some feedback on how to go about it.

I think I'll be keeping my Guildmaster character safe while sending out other characters on quests for the guild. Once there is a guild bank/guild store I think it would be neat if the "dead" characters bequeathed their findings to the guild, and that their new characters could equip themselves with appropriate gear bequeathed from past members. This would rely on the honor system, of course, as this is meant primarily to have fun and to tell an engaging, immersive story. I encourage the basic attitude that you don't bring characters or equipment on guild business that you wouldn't mind losing.

What are people's thoughts on this?
Gwynauldynn. Crafter. Merchant. Guildmaster. Adventurer.
Uthastyan. Corporal of the Lion Guard, abroad for the glory of the Covenant.
Dra'arah. This one picks pockets.
Sleeps-With-The-Fishies. You want a soul gem filled? Pheh. My pleasure.
Vanyonah Telvanni. Born an ashlander. Destined for greatness.

PC NA
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty awesome. Not quite my thing, but fantastically hardcore.

Never, NEVER Pug though.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t you only get a certain number of character deletes though? Like 3?
  • King_Thelon
    King_Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The diablo player inside me is wet
  • vivapadomay
    vivapadomay
    ✭✭✭
    Hehe, I don't know about "hardcore," but coming from D&D it's a playstyle that just makes more sense to me. There's a great Let's Play on YouTube where a guy plays Skyrim with permadeath, and it's the most compelling LP I've ever watched (link for great justice)
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    That's pretty awesome. Not quite my thing, but fantastically hardcore.

Never, NEVER Pug though.

Hehe, I don't know about "hardcore," but coming from D&D it's a playstyle that just makes more sense to me. There's a great Let's Play on YouTube where a guy plays Skyrim with permadeath, and it's the most compelling LP I've ever watched (link for great justice)

What's Pug?

PC NA
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pick Up Group.

And in single player RPGs (or dnd which features perma deaths with high component cost spells to bring recently dead back) you never have to worry about dying because your tank didn't slot a taunt on a random normal DLC dungeon.

But as I said, cool concept and should garner some interest :)
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

It's three per day, and you get one back after each 24-hour period that goes by.

So unless you're just really really bad at staying alive, you shouldn't run into too much trouble with the deletion limit.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one pitfall I see with this is that gear is un-bankable in a guild bank once it has been worn. At that point it is bound to your account and only bankable in a private bank.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    The one pitfall I see with this is that gear is un-bankable in a guild bank once it has been worn. At that point it is bound to your account and only bankable in a private bank.

Imagine the brother of a butt kicking name taking nord finds her remains and Always uses her axe, though. Then you keep only one gear piece!
    Edited by DocFrost72 on March 9, 2018 7:41PM
  • vivapadomay
    vivapadomay
    ✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

From what I gathered, your deletes recharge at a rate of 1 every 24 hours.

PC NA
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You'd have to use non-set gear that doesn't bind.

It would mostly be super low-level gear, though, so that wouldn't be a big deal.

It would be interesting to get ahold of some of the non-binding named quest reward items at those low levels for some extra RP flavor beyond just using simple iron and maple weapons.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • vivapadomay
    vivapadomay
    ✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    You'd have to use non-set gear that doesn't bind.

It would mostly be super low-level gear, though, so that wouldn't be a big deal.

It would be interesting to get ahold of some of the non-binding named quest reward items at those low levels for some extra RP flavor beyond just using simple iron and maple weapons.

Yeah this would be by its very nature a pretty low-level affair. As I said, I'm a newbie to ESO, so I'm interested to see what limitations the system places on my Grand Idea.

PC NA
  • Glockcoma725
    Glockcoma725
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, like the above stated, do not do pickup groups if you intend to continue that. Wipes happen. Sometimes often
    PC-NA CP570 @Glockcoma725
    Maximus Dezimus Meridius Tank DragonKight
    Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
    Myrddin Emrys DD Sorceror
    Smokes-All-Herbs Healer Templar
    Azog the Defiler DD Warden
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if it defeats the purpose of your idea, but if I were playing a permadeath character I would get a set of Phoenix ASAP. It prevents death once every 10 minutes and can be bought in the Imperial City for tel var (dangerous place, be careful) or obtained from other players. http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Phoenix+Set