Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Problems with my Solo Sorcerer

Meanah
Meanah
Hello all!

I read so much on the forum and google but this game is very very very difficult for someone who loves eso,
but is new to this kinda games! I’m level 20 now but I have some problems with stayin’ up when 2 enemies facing me, even with my pet :/
I’m a High elf solo sorcerer with 25 points in magic (all)

Skills I used with one bar Fire staff second bar Lightning staff:
Force Pulse
Crystal fragments
Volatile Familiar
Daedric Prey
Magelight
Power overload
Liquid Lightning

What I do is:
Magelight / Violatile / Liquid Lighting / Daedric Prey / Light attack / Force pulse / Light attack / Force pulse / Crystal Fragments… Again
This goes okey, I think..??

I have 5 light armor, 1 medium and 1 heavy.
I don’t know what the best thing is I can do with enchanting? Only thing I know is everything magic related?

I hope someone have tips for me? Thank you very much
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What armour sets are you running as that will help you, with the right traits and mundus stone too.

Even a set of Magnus or Seducer or Julianos would help. What traits in your weopons too as that's a big help. Enchants you want all magika

You need defence, for PvE you NEED power surge, as it heals.on crits you do. So if you overlap AOE down like liquid lighting and blockade you get the heal ticks come in. Also a ward! They wre key to survival as a Sorc.

Other options are heals from twilgiht or healing ward
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Meanah
    Meanah
    Beardimus wrote: »
    What armour sets are you running as that will help you, with the right traits and mundus stone too.

Even a set of Magnus or Seducer or Julianos would help. What traits in your weopons too as that's a big help. Enchants you want all magika

You need defence, for PvE you NEED power surge, as it heals.on crits you do. So if you overlap AOE down like liquid lighting and blockade you get the heal ticks come in. Also a ward! They wre key to survival as a Sorc.

Other options are heals from twilgiht or healing ward

Hi there thanks for you feedback, I don't run armour sets, I only wearing what I found in the game.
    Can I use those sets at level 20?

When I use enchantings what can I do best? More magic or more crit or....?

My level is too low for Power Surge & ward but it is on my wishlist! :)

• Captain8504
    Captain8504
    ✭✭✭
    Armor sets is where you get most of your damage...id get someone to craft you a good overland set with all training prefered..it'll help you level faster and also makes damage output a lot higher.
  • Meanah
    Meanah
    Armor sets is where you get most of your damage...id get someone to craft you a good overland set with all training prefered..it'll help you level faster and also makes damage output a lot higher.

I going to ask that in the zone chat TY! :)

• Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you get hardened ward and power surge you’ll be nearly unkillable for normal enemies.

In the mean time, you can slot rapid regen from the restoration staff skill line to stay alive. On the front bar destruction staff on the back bar resto staff.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Meanah
    Meanah
    If you get hardened ward and power surge you’ll be nearly unkillable for normal enemies.

In the mean time, you can slot rapid regen from the restoration staff skill line to stay alive. On the front bar destruction staff on the back bar resto staff.

Thanks I'm going to try this and focus on armor / enchanting!

• Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are on Xbox NA i will craft a set of training armor at your level for you for free. Let me know. Gamertag is: iTz John Locke
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That’s another good hint.

While you won’t be able to craft sets this early, you should be collecting materials and crafting armor and staves.

Learn crafting by deconstructing junk that you pick up. Make potions. Deconstruct glyphs, weapons, and clothes. Try making yourself gear as you level. Go into towns and do the ‘writ’ quests, you’ll level up crafting quickly. Research any items you find with special traits and learn them.

At the least you should learn Alchemy, clothier, and woodworking.

Add in blacksmithing and enchanting if at all possible.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you use the light armor skill annulment? It is almost as good as Ward.
  • Meanah
    Meanah
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    If you are on Xbox NA i will craft a set of training armor at your level for you for free. Let me know. Gamertag is: iTz John Locke
    Ah Thanks! That’s very Nice but i’m on PS4
  • Meanah
    Meanah
    Minalan wrote: »
    That’s another good hint.

While you won’t be able to craft sets this early, you should be collecting materials and crafting armor and staves.

Learn crafting by deconstructing junk that you pick up. Make potions. Deconstruct glyphs, weapons, and clothes. Try making yourself gear as you level. Go into towns and do the ‘writ’ quests, you’ll level up crafting quickly. Research any items you find with special traits and learn them.

At the least you should learn Alchemy, clothier, and woodworking.

Add in blacksmithing and enchanting if at all possible.
    I do the deconstruction, researching & simple crafting something withouten thinking about it, but I don’t use the items I craft, Always thinks that the gear I find is more usefull, Ty for the tips! I should focus more
  • Meanah
    Meanah
    Can you use the light armor skill annulment? It is almost as good as Ward.
    I have no idea, gonna check this later Ty!
  • Meanah
    Meanah
    Sorry for my bad english btw! Im not very good to type it, Reading Goes wayyy better
    Edited by Meanah on March 9, 2018 5:12PM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Xbox crew being ace!! I'll offer the same on Xbox EU if you are there @Meanah
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Meanah
    Meanah

Wauw Xbox people are very friendly :blush: im on ps4 but thank you anyway
    Edited by Meanah on March 9, 2018 5:17PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can, I'd try putting Wall of Elements on your destro staff bar for another AOE DOT.
  • SinisterG
    SinisterG
    ✭✭
    hi there. i just got my sorc up to around 32 and hear are some things that worked for me. Running solo you always need a self heal or damage shield. i would change out one of your damage abilities for twilight matriarch or hardened ward and also switch mage light for power surge as this gives you heal on crit. for group mobs i use elemental blockade, volatile familiar then liquid lightning. fire off a few light attacks and 90% of mobs will be dead before the skill timers run out. For single target you can use daedric prey, volatile familiar, liquid lightning and force pulse. Use your matriarch heal or hardened ward as needed. I think at your level you may not have access to some of these skills but you will soon. in the meantime, maybe think about switching your familiar to a clanfear because it has a good self heal and does some tanking for you.

hope this helps. BTW, i'm on PS4 NA, PSN name iniquitousGD. if i can help you out in game, i will
    -Ruin -
    It bleeds all life away

I will show you all that I have mastered
    Fear.
    Pain.
    Hatred.
    Power.

This is the art of ruin
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first character is a mag sorc (and is my main now) and I never bought any kind of set armor. I used only drops and quest rewards. I found the heals from clanfear to be very good and after level 15, I put a healing staff on my back bar and threw some healing skills on it, too. In a bind, I'd just switch weapons real fast, heal up, and switch back. Good luck! Sorcerers are so fun!
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ps4 eu? ill craft u some armor.whats your gametag?
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

Vasanha
    This one hears nothing. Sees nothing. This one only sweeps.
    desperately need a survey assistant
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I read "Problems with my sad sorcerer" - my bad.

I ran normal Maelstrom yesterday on my Mag Sorc (level 30) for the first time. I run Julianos 5pc, Seducer 3pc and a 3 pc majicka jewelry set (mine are from Cyrodiil). Max health plus magicka regen food (Orzorgas) with spell damage potion.

I'm not very co-ordinated so mostly single bar for me in solo content and I have only ever run Maelstrom twice before, on a magplar and a stamblade.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Meanah
    Meanah
    If you can, I'd try putting Wall of Elements on your destro staff bar for another AOE DOT.
    I can do this, I always Looking at that skill but never took it ty

• Meanah
    Meanah
    SinisterG wrote: »
    hi there. i just got my sorc up to around 32 and hear are some things that worked for me. Running solo you always need a self heal or damage shield. i would change out one of your damage abilities for twilight matriarch or hardened ward and also switch mage light for power surge as this gives you heal on crit. for group mobs i use elemental blockade, volatile familiar then liquid lightning. fire off a few light attacks and 90% of mobs will be dead before the skill timers run out. For single target you can use daedric prey, volatile familiar, liquid lightning and force pulse. Use your matriarch heal or hardened ward as needed. I think at your level you may not have access to some of these skills but you will soon. in the meantime, maybe think about switching your familiar to a clanfear because it has a good self heal and does some tanking for you.

hope this helps. BTW, i'm on PS4 NA, PSN name iniquitousGD. if i can help you out in game, i will
    Im going to take wall of elements and morph it as spon as possible to blockade.. Want to try the rotation that you use and see what it does for me, Thanks for the reply, very clear info! And very Nice that you wanna help me out but im a eu player :smile: thanks

• Meanah
    Meanah
    method__01 wrote: »
    ps4 eu? ill craft u some armor.whats your gametag?
    Hey, That’s very Nice of you, im a eu player Yes! My gamertag is Mean-Ah thank you very much! :blush:

• Meanah
    Meanah
    @disintegr8 lol! Believe me he’s very Sad :p
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magsorc is built to run solo. In fact she’s sort of specialized as a solo world boss killer. Hence she has to do reasonable damage while being survivable and having good sustain. Her whole build is pretty simple and basic:

Armor: 5 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy. Julianos x 5, Necropotence x 5.
    Weapons: Dual lightning staves.
    Ultimate for both bars is Ice Comet (not a bad ultimate but slotted primarily for the full time Mages Guild passives).

Bar 1: Lightning Flood, Blockade, Empowered Ward, Clannfear, Twilight Matriarch.
    Bar 2: Power Surge, Elemental Drain, Flex Spot, Clannfear, Twilight Matriarch.

Summary of rotation vs a world boss:
    Buff with power surge. Debuff with EleDrain. Open with hard cast of Crystal Blast (flex spot). Drop lightning flood and blockade. Empowered ward. Heavy attack x 2 (lots of sustain). Then just keep all that stuff (except crystal blast) going continuously, healing the clannfear (great tank) with the twilight matriarch as necessary. Empowered ward primarily helps the clannfear while your buffed up twin AoEs and heavy attacks do the killing.

Since your shield and pets scale off your magicka, you want a good pool of magicka. Spell damage is very helpful. Crit % (like for all sorcs) is vital (I like +50%) and will take care of your personal healing. The pets give you the breathing room to use heavy attacks for sustain while augmenting your damage so mag regen can safely be ignored on this build.

Simple and quite effective. This solo build is effective but not impressive in groups. As wonderful a tank as the clannfear is solo, he is not helpful in a group. When my sorc does group, she usually swaps clannfear for Bound Aegis (makes her tougher but does not impact her well practiced rotation.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on March 11, 2018 12:37AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you get into using sets, I highly recommend using 5x Law of Julianos alongside The Thief Mundus Stone. You gain good Damage, but also boost up your critical chance high which makes Power Surge heal you far more reliably when your Liquid Lightning/Blockade is hitting enemies. As a Mag Sorc, your main survivability in PvE will come through Power Surge heals. You need to hold back on your shield casting and know when you should or shouldn’t cast shields. Generally Power Surge is enough to keep you alive, and if you spam shields you’ll deal much less damage while simultaneously burning all of your Magicka away.

Since you’re currently level20, I’d kind of urge you to push through the lvl1-50 experience as you are lol. Once you hit Lvl50, aka Champion Rank 1 (CP1), I’d say it’d be great to have a crafted set of Training-traited Julianos ready for you. Remember to have crafted gear in the Training trait! Also at CP90 you’ll basically gain 12% free Spell Crit from a CP passive :)

Once you reach CP160 (max gear rank), I’d recommend;
    • 5x Law of Julianos armor pieces (chest, hands, belt, legs, shoes)
    • 3x Willpower jewelry pieces ( ring 1, ring 2, necklace)
    • The helm, shoulder, and staff set can be pretty much anything.
    Use 3x CP150 Magnus until you acquire a monster set you like or special Staves like an Asylum Staff from Normal Asylum Sanctorium :)
    - All Divines armor traits
    - All Arcane jewelry traits
    - All Max Magicka Enchants
    - Preferably Infused frontbar and Infused/Nirnhoned weapon traits, with a Beserk Enchant on backbar and Absorb Magic enchant on frontbar
    - The Thief mundus stone. The Apprentice is a bit more damage, but The Thief will make Power Surge healing much better for solo play!
    - Purple Quality gear (gold-quality on the Julianos pieces if you can afford, since it will always be a *very* good setup for all Mag PvE DPS characters).

As for 5 Light, 1 Medium, 1 Heavy.... there is an Undaunted passive that grants 2% Max Health, Max Mag, and Max Stam per how many *weights* of Armor you’re wearing. That’s why people do this. You’ll be benefiting far more from using 7 pieces of light armor until you reach Undaunted Rank 9 (when you unlock the full passive). Keep Julianos all Light Armor. The helm/shoulder make up for the extra 2 light or 1 heavy+1medium.

On the side Id keep a purple set of CP160 Julianos with the Training trait as well. Preferably a Training version of your helm/shoulder/staves too. Yes it’s a lot to get at first, but invest toward it. You will be so happy you did it in the long run!

Hope this sorta helped and was informative lol. I also run a Mag Sorc and am mostly solo. This is what I’ve found best from experience. The only sets that really compete with Julianos are:
    - Mechanical Acuity, better DPS but not nearly as good as Julianos for a solo Magicka Sorc who needs consistent and reliable Power Surge heals. Julianos is the “standard” Mag DPS set and will always be a very good choice for all content in the game.
    - Necropotence, which has a tiny bit more DPS as Mag Sorc but grants a lot more Max Magicka to you if pets are currently active. It translates into bigger shields, but much less Critical Chance. Again, you want those consistent Surge heals lol. can’t lose out on the tons of Spell Crit from Julianos.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion your over complicating it, as many people do. Solo your first priority is surviving and second is DPS. I pretty much facemelt all overland mobs including elites and delve bosses( but not world bosses yet) with a quite simple setup. I do have about 150 champion points allocated( im lazy and behind and she already kills everything), but i was still melting mobs before i had a 150 CP with a lot worse gear(note she is level 25 currently, so i have a lot to unlock yet). heres how i run mine:

* Attributes:2/3rds magicka, 1/3 health
    * Mundus stone: The apprentice ( you can look up the various locations you can find this boon)
    * Food: Blue ( max health+ magicka). You can probably get people to make you this for free.
    * Staff: Lightning on front bar, resto on back( I been playing around resto sorc. I can pretty much healtank and kill most overland content without weapon swap, it just takes a minute...or 10. I would go lightning/resto or lightning/fire.
    * Armor: Light, magicka benefits, can be mix matched( i dont worry about gear until CP 160 but fungal grotto group dungeon drops a decent set that is pretty easy to obtain)
    * Abilities:
    - Unstable familar morphed to clannfear. IMO, clannfear is the best solo pet because he is very tanky and has a nice heal for both of you.
    - crystal fragments morphed to crystal blast( Heavy damage and you can weave this like no tomorrow, also has an AOE/stun/knockdown component.
    - Encase morphed to shattering prison( this is a root, shattering prison adds damage at the end)
    -Annulment( LA ability)- damage shield.
    - one of your lightning abilities all on one bar.

*Ultimates:
    - I use storm atronach for group content( group dungeon bosses)
    - I use overload( storm calling ultimate) for solo work and sometimes for trash in dungeons.

* Burst: This will pretty much kill everything before you run out of magicka( assuming your using magicka food)
    - Rotation: Crystal shards, Light attack, shards, light attack.... yeah you can pretty much do this for most overland content. If you time your light attacks right you will fire shards one right after another without the 10 minutes of animation. Use clannfear to tank( hit at range you shouldnt have aggro before your first attack). Encase( shattering prison) to keep melee at a distance and kite if need be and annulment and your clannfear heal( hit the summon key while he is already summoned to heal) as "Ut oh" abilities. Use overload if you run out of magicka, It will both recharge magicka and keep damage up. You can toggle it on and off so i only toggle it on to recharge for more burst damage then toggle off and back to shards.

*Sustained: Mix a lightning ability with light and heavy attacks. Shattering prison, annulment, and pet used the same way.

I honestly very rarely need the sustain and find myself melting everything with shards and overload instead. I basically only use sustain in fast pace dungeon running. As you gain more skills and better understand the game and your character and its abilities, your preferences will change and you begin to make your final build. But for now this is a really easy way to start out and just learn from there.

You can reset attributes, skill points, and champion points, for a gold fee, so dont worry about trying to make an endgame build right now. Just learn the class and what it can do and how you want to play it and go from there. Also there are A LOT of skill points you can gain in this game. Far more than you will need on any non crafter.

Also to note: your passive abilities are very important. So make sure your putting points in those.
    Edited by Anotherone773 on March 10, 2018 4:16AM
  • Captain8504
    Captain8504
    ✭✭✭
    Meanah wrote: »

Wauw Xbox people are very friendly :blush: im on ps4 but thank you anyway

What server on ps4 are you on? I'm on NA server..
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Meanah you've had some top Sorcs reply here and PS4 crafted stepped up, threads like this restore my faith in the community!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Meanah
    Meanah
    I want to thank everyone for their help! especially @method__01 the gear and wapens that you craft for me are great!! You send me so much items to start with! I appreciate it :smile:

When I put the gear on that method craft and the resto staf that he/she gave to me it goes wayyyy better, I needed to use the resto staf one time so its amazing! I do alot more damage now :smiley:

Someone told a skills i don’t kno Which one it was but that one is on my bar and its very helpful, for now im happy