The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Outfits: Anything I’m missing?

kylewwefan
kylewwefan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Took me awhile to figure this thing out yesterday. I hadn’t really anticipated it being so cool. Well when I started seeing people dressed really sharp.

I’d like to work on all my characters....but the 2 I did so far cost me about 20k gold. And now I need to buy Minatour daggers cause those things look sick.

Also I have som issues with armor weights and dying not looking right. I’m a big Daggerfall Fan so yeah.

Now my medium chest that looks like it would be all metal, looks completely different from the heavy shoulders and helm when dyed the same color. I use the light gloves because they have the intricate lions on them and they look all messed up dyed the same color.

Is this something you just have to deal with?

So, now I need to start hunting down some more achievements and get more colors to work with. Feels like I’m slowly getting caught up to speed. I’m wandering if there’s other cool stuff I missed.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well...the material an item is made out of affects how a dye applied to it looks. Just like in the real world, if you paint aluminum or leather it’s not going to look the same. So a medium chest isn’t going to exactly match other parts that are heavy.

There are some ways to mitigate this. Dyes can also have a sheen that changes the properties of what they’re dyeing a bit. For example, some dues have a metallic gloss that can make leather look more metallic, or a flat gloss that tones down the metals in heavy armor. You just have to play with it a bit since there’s no description to dyes.

Or just embrace the mismatch. Sometimes it’s about pieces complimenting each other rather than matching. Take a look at character design from other fantasy games...one that makes an effort at character design. Sometimes bringing in more colors and textures and a less uniform look can make the characters cooler.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for reply. I spent some time trying different dyes last night. Trying to match up the Akatosh Gold. On the heavy pieces it looks so good, but medium/light has kind of a greenish tinge. Yellows look alright in certain lighting but are way off in darker or off lighting.

Funny, changing looks of gear I find getting questioned a bit more of my build in dungeons. I much prefer not having to look at Ugly monster helms.

I may have to switch all heavy for a more uniform look. The off colors are really bugging me.
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too had this issue and what I found is on certain items the next shade up or down will match very closely. I had to do this with warriors steel and the other lighter one (windhelm maybe) to get the entire costume to match. Try to mix and match similar shades of the desired color. One last point, the dye color and the applied color are almost never the same, reds become purple, oranges become browns, etc.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer