The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Getting disconnected exactly every 60 minutes - what's the reason and how to solve this?

Seraphayel
Seraphayel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Yeah, as the title says. I am getting a lot of disconnects in the last days and today I figured out something: they're all happening exactly every hour. Had one on 11:31 and another one at 12:31.

My LAN is working and I don't experience this anywhere else. Is there a way to figure out what's going on?
PS5
EU
Aldmeri Dominion
- Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: Talked to my internet provider and they told me that there are no disconnects in my router logs. So it must be either the PS4 or ESO, it is not my provider or internet connection.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Update: Talked to my internet provider and they told me that there are no disconnects in my router logs. So it must be either the PS4 or ESO, it is not my provider or internet connection.

that depends on how their logs are kept. having worked for an ISP, i know in some cases where connections have dropped and the logs dont record it because of the way the logs are kept. It only shows in certain places and not others.
    like if they look at your IP address - if the IP wasnt released, it wont show the IP dropped and was reassigned. So in other words, dont rule them out just yet.

it wont be ESO. i could almost guarantee drops in a timed fashion will never be the game unless everyone gets hit with it. I would be looking at the connection between the ps4 and your router. Check those logs. It may be something your router is doing weird with upnp or something.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »

that depends on how their logs are kept. having worked for an ISP, i know in some cases where connections have dropped and the logs dont record it because of the way the logs are kept. It only shows in certain places and not others.
    like if they look at your IP address - if the IP wasnt released, it wont show the IP dropped and was reassigned. So in other words, dont rule them out just yet.

it wont be ESO. i could almost guarantee drops in a timed fashion will never be the game unless everyone gets hit with it. I would be looking at the connection between the ps4 and your router. Check those logs. It may be something your router is doing weird with upnp or something.

Well he said he double checked my logs back until December and he couldn't even find one unusual disconnect (except the usual 24h disconnect happening at 5am in the morning). Just today I already had 2, yesterday 6 and the days before 4-5 per day as well.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭

You don't know what yo'ure talking about buddy. I've got the same problem as this guy via this thread: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4922174#Comment_4922174

It is not a problem with the ISP. It can't be a problem with the PS4. Why?

Because when this "Unable to connect. Make sure you have a valid connection" message is thrown back and we get a DC from ESO.... i am using my internet! On my phone. In ps4 audio chat... on the laptop. I speedtest when this happens and it runs fine. The internet is NOT down because I am still talking to people THROUGH the internet!

This needs to be ZOS responsibility and they won't admit it
    "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop."

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

Completed: vHoF | vMoL | vSO | vSO HM | vAA | vAA HM | vHR | vHR HM | vMA | vDSA
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, as the title says. I am getting a lot of disconnects in the last days and today I figured out something: they're all happening exactly every hour. Had one on 11:31 and another one at 12:31.

My LAN is working and I don't experience this anywhere else. Is there a way to figure out what's going on?

Are you basing the 60 minute disconnect on one 60 minute gap, or can you repeat this over a period of several hours where the disconnect happens at exactly one hour intervals?
    PS4NA
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess what, 21:31, me in a battleground: disconnect.

22:31 - disconnect. And it's not my router. What is going on?
    Edited by Seraphayel on March 8, 2018 9:31PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess what, 21:31, me in a battleground: disconnect.

22:31 - disconnect. And it's not my router. What is going on?

@Seraphayel If you're dropping like clockwork every 60 minutes, my advice is to give your machine a static IP on your LAN outside of the lease range.

This issue sounds a lot like a DHCP renewal that is causing a momentary loss of connectivity and some online games handle that better than others. My guess is your router is handing out private IP addresses with a one hour lease time. When the hour is up, the lease renewal isn't as smooth as it should be and the connection drops for a few seconds - long enough for ESO to timeout. Giving your device a static (manually configure) may solve this.

PS4NA
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One solution is to schedule precisely 59 minute play sessions.

...in all seriousness, that's weird and I wish you luck solving it.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DHCP Leases don't ever really release the IP unless they get no response from the Host. The way it works is:

1. IP is given with a lease, lets use One Hour here, but can be any length, ISPs are typically a week long
    2. At 50% of the Lease, in this example, 30 minutes, the DHCP server sends out a renewal packet.
    3. If the Host responds, the IP is reserved for another hour. with a renewal scheduled again for 30 minutes in this example.

So, unless there is no response from the Host, the IP is never dropped. Which also explains why everyone is essentially on a static IP unless there is a major network outage or change that lasts long enough or is of the proper scope to reset the DHCP Scopes.

Usually the only device that gets an IP from the ISP is the first device (Router, AP or Firewall). Internal devices are served from a private IP pool (192.168.x.x or 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 or 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255).

Edited by Nestor on March 8, 2018 9:52PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    DHCP Leases don't ever really release the IP unless they get no response from the Host. The way it works is:

1. IP is given with a lease, lets use One Hour here, but can be any length, ISPs are typically a week long
    2. At 50% of the Lease, in this example, 30 minutes, the DHCP server sends out a renewal packet.
    3. If the Host responds, the IP is reserved for another hour. with a renewal scheduled again for 30 minutes in this example.

So, unless there is no response from the Host, the IP is never dropped. Which also explains why everyone is essentially on a static IP unless there is a major network outage or change that lasts long enough or is of the proper scope to reset the DHCP Scopes.

Usually the only device that gets an IP from the ISP is the first device (Router, AP or Firewall). Internal devices are served from a private IP pool (192.168.x.x or 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 or 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255).

Understood. But what if there is a response, but it's slow? I'm only trying to offer the OP some real things to check before blaming ESO. Clearly if it was ESO, we'd all be getting kicked every hour and we're not.

Also adding this in case it's a WiFi related issue (Op does not mention if hardwired or wireless connection in play)

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Wifi-drop-every-hour/m-p/929859
    PS4NA
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it is not every 60 minutes anymore, crashed at 23:01 so 30 mins after the disconnect before. Everything else works only ESO is kicking me from the server.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/30d582/xbox_disconnects_from_live_every_hour_on_the_hour/

Same issue, different console. Solved by assigning a static IP to the console. I'm not saying this will fix your problem, but it's worth a shot - only a couple of minutes work. You don't have any repeaters/range extenders in place I assume?
    PS4NA
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dotme wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/30d582/xbox_disconnects_from_live_every_hour_on_the_hour/

Same issue, different console. Solved by assigning a static IP to the console. I'm not saying this will fix your problem, but it's worth a shot - only a couple of minutes work. You don't have any repeaters/range extenders in place I assume?

No, not as far as I know... I am quite an idiot when it comes to all the hardware and software stuff about my internet connection. I am just using a Switch to get more LAN connections (I got the disconnects with Wlan as well but not so often).

How do I set a static IP adress?

@dotme Thank you very much! Today it's really getting on my nerves because the only thing I think about during playing is when will the next dc happen...
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dotme wrote: »
    Understood. But what if there is a response, but it's slow?

A slow response is on the order of seconds. This can be configured in most Servers to be any schedule, but it is usually 4 or 5 requests in around 30 seconds, no response, the sequence is repeated again in 5 minutes. Also, I have yet to see an ISP lease be less than One Week in length. So, even if the host misses the first request sequence, it will get another one in 5 minutes, and so on until the original week is up.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2009/01/29/dhcp-client-behavior/

If I was the OP, the first thing I would try is to go wired into the Console, if it is not already. Gaming on Wireless is just too problematical and too many things can interfere. For example, this could be some device that is latched onto his wireless that does an intensive network scan or traffic upload/download every 60 minutes. Also, some APs have a mechanism to kick all devices periodically, perhaps that can be configured. I have an AP at home that I can schedule to reboot on a time sequence I set as you just need to do that with APs. Good take away is to reboot your AP once a day, manually, when you think about it.

Still I stress, don't game on a Wireless Connection, your just asking for annoying issues.

Second thing to try is to connect directly to the ISP's device, bypassing any internal router to eliminate that as an issue.

Third thing I would try is a factory reset of the router.

• dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dotme Thank you very much! Today it's really getting on my nerves because the only thing I think about during playing is when will the next dc happen...
    Don't thank me yet. We don't know what the problem is - but the "every hour like clockwork" aspect hints that it's probably a systematic disconnect, not random. You're using Ethernet/LAN cables? Assigning a static to the PS4 is easy, but finding an address to use that is outside the range your router is handing out requires you to log into your router and view (not change) the DCHP settings. Otherwise, you could give the PS4 an IP that gets handed out to another device by the router and conflicts are bad.

https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-ps4/

That's the how-to on setting up a static IP on the PS4. On the router side of things (viewing the DHCP range to see which addresses you can use) that's down to the make/model of the router. Just remember you're not changing anything there - you just want to view the range. Let's say your router is at 192.168.0.1 and it's handing out DHCP addresses from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200 - So you can give your PS4 a 192.168.0.99 address (for example) that is outside the range handed out by the router and is therefore safe.

If it all goes wrong, you can always set the PS4 back to Automatic on Network Settings and you'll be back where you started. Good luck and I hope this is going to solve the regular drops you're experiencing. If you have a friend or family member who is handy with networking, I'd encourage you to get them to help. It's not a big job, but needs to be done right. :smile:
    Edited by dotme on March 8, 2018 10:32PM
    PS4NA
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I logged into my router. I'm in Germany and the router interface is German so I'll try to translate as good as possible.

My PS4 Pro is connected via LAN to my router. The IPv4 is 192.168.178.36 (is this the IP/ISP?)

I have two options for the PS4 IvP: [always the same IPv4] and [define free ports]. Should I activate one of them in my router interface?

In my PS4 settings the IP is 192.168.178.36 and the gateway is 192.168.178.1

My router gets rebooted every 24h once at 5am.
    Edited by Seraphayel on March 8, 2018 11:01PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    192.168.x.x is a private IP handed out by your router to your internal LAN

Google the make and model of your router and the term "Port Triggering" and you should find specific instructions on how to do it. Although it sounds like your in the right area.

Here are the ports you want triggered

PlayStation 4 Ports:

TCP Ports 10040 through 10060
    UDP Ports 50000 through 60000
    UDP Ports 12000 through 32000
    UDP Port 6250
    UDP Port 5060
    UDP Port 5062
    UDP Port 3478 through 3479
    TCP Port 80
    TCP Port 433

• Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you considered that you might be being trolled by a roommate (or sibling, or neighbor, or angry ex) who is removing your console from the allowed devices through your router interface, then reenabling it?

That would be pretty funny actually.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    192.168.x.x is a private IP handed out by your router to your internal LAN

Google the make and model of your router and the term "Port Triggering" and you should find specific instructions on how to do it. Although it sounds like your in the right area.

Here are the ports you want triggered

PlayStation 4 Ports:

TCP Ports 10040 through 10060
    UDP Ports 50000 through 60000
    UDP Ports 12000 through 32000
    UDP Port 6250
    UDP Port 5060
    UDP Port 5062
    UDP Port 3478 through 3479
    TCP Port 80
    TCP Port 433

I could do this with all ports except 50000-60000 and 12000-32000 (my router told me the maximum range must be 255 or less).

I tried the always same IP option with the IP I found out earlier and it did not help. Already got 2 more disconnects after that. I changed ports now and will see tomorrow if it helps.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Have you considered that you might be being trolled by a roommate (or sibling, or neighbor, or angry ex) who is removing your console from the allowed devices through your router interface, then reenabling it?

That would be pretty funny actually.

This sounds funny and I would laugh about it but I am really desparate at the moment. It's no fun when your playing the game and the only thing you could think about is "when is the next disconnect going to occur".
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like the ESO Support really solved my problem. After they told me to do all the usual stuff (delete save data, router restart, DNS change, open ports etc.) the service guy told me to go into my router interface and deactivate IPv6 and its "Teredo" protocol or whatever (don't even know what one of them is or does). Guess what, after I did that I neither had anymore lags, disconnects or errors. Played three hours in a row and not one lag or disconnect. Felt like Christmas.

ESO has massive problems with IPv6. Turn it off and you should be fine. At least it helped me a lot!
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't know what yo'ure talking about buddy. I've got the same problem as this guy via this thread: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4922174#Comment_4922174

It is not a problem with the ISP. It can't be a problem with the PS4. Why?

Because when this "Unable to connect. Make sure you have a valid connection" message is thrown back and we get a DC from ESO.... i am using my internet! On my phone. In ps4 audio chat... on the laptop. I speedtest when this happens and it runs fine. The internet is NOT down because I am still talking to people THROUGH the internet!

This needs to be ZOS responsibility and they won't admit it

i was quite good at my job thank you very much. i do know what im talking about, clearly more than you do. If you think just because your internet is running means its a game problem, you've got issues. There is so much more to it than that. You cant even tell that your issue and this issue are different.

I had a wifi adapater drop a game and only a game repeatedly, whilst browsing showed no issues. Swapped adapters, problem gone. even the hardware manufacturer support agreed it was doing something weird. And theres so many things that can go wrong with the internet that are not either end that to simply blame the game without doing any diagnostics is lazy and illiterate.

your thread that you link does not have the same issue. its random disconnections which is a totally different issue to being disconnected at regular intervals. dont hijack other peoples threads and take them off topic please.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think just because your internet is running means its a game problem, you've got issues. There is so much more to it than that. You cant even tell that your issue and this issue are different.

Well, in this case it was ESOs fault because it can't handle the interchange between IPv4 and IPv6 very well and kicked me every time it changed to IPv6. This was not a problem with any other game or any other connection to my router, just ESO.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many threads on this and ZOS still not acknowledging the problem is on their end. No other game has this issue on my PS4, but all i want to play right now is this. Frustrating
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried to deactivate IPv6 in your router settings?

@MacCait
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@MacCait

I see no option to turn off IPv6 and as far as I can see my isp doesn't support it. I'm on PS4 not a pc.

I will say that if it is this IPv6 tht is the issue... then ZOS needs to jump on this urgently as many isp's are turning from IPv4 to IPv6.

Saying that it is the isp's fault is not acceptable in 2018!

After 2 months of testing everything, it litterally is this one game that is having the issue. No other device, no other game, just ESO. Its something that in 3.5 years has only started happening recently
    Edited by MacCait on March 19, 2018 1:12PM
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MacCait wrote: »

@MacCait

I see no option to turn off IPv6 and as far as I can see my isp doesn't support it. I'm on PS4 not a pc.

I will say that if it is this IPv6 tht is the issue... then ZOS needs to jump on this urgently as many isp's are turning from IPv4 to IPv6.

After 2 months of testing everything, it litterally is this one game that is having the issue. No other device, no other game, just ESO. Its something that in 3.5 years has only started happening recently

IPv6 settings are in the advanced settings of your router interface. I am on PS4 as well. Turning it off solved every problem I ever had (sounds strange but that's how it is). I had zero disconnects or major lags since I deactivated it.

And I know it's not really acceptable in 2018 but ESO has massive issues with IPv6 and I won't wait for an official ZOS fix for this problem.

If you can't find the options in your router interface call your provider and they might help you.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MacCait wrote: »

@MacCait

IPv6 settings are in the advanced settings of your router interface. I am on PS4 as well. Turning it off solved every problem I ever had (sounds strange but that's how it is). I had zero disconnects or major lags since I deactivated it.

And I know it's not really acceptable in 2018 but ESO has massive issues with IPv6 and I won't wait for an official ZOS fix for this problem.

If you can't find the options in your router interface call your provider and they might help you.

Ok Thanks :)