The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Rookie Crafting Question

Black12Jack44
Hi there, I am playing with a stamina-based Dark Elf, using a combo of medium and heavy armor. I gathered enough parts to be able to maximize the passives for the shalk exoskeleton (heavy) and shadow of the Red Mountain (medium) armor sets, but these sets, and the former especially, are hideous aesthetically. So, is there a way to alter the appearance of these sets or to create my own armor but somehow have my newly created armor have these sets' passive benefit properties? Thanks!
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's what the new outfit system is for............ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP_SgtZh95Q
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Black12Jack44
    Thank you very much. I just really got into the game a few months ago, so there is a lot that is new to me still!
  • Black12Jack44
    Just out of curiosity though, is it possible to craft your own version of items that would create a set and have the benefits of existing sets available through enemy/chest drops (e.g., gaining passives by wearing an increasing number of the same set)?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are certain sets that are only available through crafting. They are unlocked by going to that location and knowing the required number of researched traits on the item you want to craft. Crafted sets can require anything from 2 to 9 traits to be researched on the item you want to craft.

However, you cannot craft sets that drop from defeated enemies, nor can you acquire crafted set pieces by defeating enemies. You can buy gear crafted by other players as well as gear that drops from overland zones or is acquired through PVP currencies. You cannot sell gear acquired from dungeons or trials because those are bind on pickup, but you do have a limited window to trade gear with group members.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Crafted+Sets
  • Black12Jack44
    Good to know; thanks for the quick response and helpful info!
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just out of curiosity though, is it possible to craft your own version of items that would create a set and have the benefits of existing sets available through enemy/chest drops (e.g., gaining passives by wearing an increasing number of the same set)?

no.... crafted gear and loot gear are separate.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other important thing to note is that dropped sets can include amulets and rings. You cannot make items for those slots as part of crafted sets. Most players therefore use a combo of one crafted set and one dropped set - five items each - for maximum goodness.
  • Black12Jack44
    ghastley wrote: »
    The other important thing to note is that dropped sets can include amulets and rings. You cannot make items for those slots as part of crafted sets. Most players therefore use a combo of one crafted set and one dropped set - five items each - for maximum goodness.

Thanks. That is what I have started doing. Definitely seems to be the best way to maximize stats!
  • Black12Jack44
    Hi everyone, a few more rookie crafting questions. In working to improve my characters, I have seen in various places to craft armor sets that are not available to me. I have been researching traits for a while, and from the list below, it looks like I need to have a certain number of traits researched for specific armor sets:

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Set+Bonus+Crafting+Locations

So, let's take the Nightmother's Gaze set for example, for which 6 traits seem to be required. How do I know which 6 traits I need to have researched? I have researched far more than 6 total at this point, but I am guessing it needs to be specific traits researched? Thanks!
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, a few more rookie crafting questions. In working to improve my characters, I have seen in various places to craft armor sets that are not available to me. I have been researching traits for a while, and from the list below, it looks like I need to have a certain number of traits researched for specific armor sets:

So, let's take the Nightmother's Gaze set for example, for which 6 traits seem to be required. How do I know which 6 traits I need to have researched? I have researched far more than 6 total at this point, but I am guessing it needs to be specific traits researched? Thanks!
    Nope. You just have to have the number of traits researched. Any traits you want. However you have to have that number, 6 for Nightmother's for example, finished for each piece you want to craft. 6 for the helm, 6 for the shoulders, 6 for the hands, 6 for the chest and so on. Researching a trait on medium armor doesn't count for heavy or light. Researching a trait for a sword won't count for an axe or dagger.

That's why its usually suggested anyone starting research start with traits they might want to use, like training, so they can make a full set with the same trait. Especially since the first few traits get done rather fast.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You need 6 researched for that piece( slot) that you want to craft. It can be any of the traits. So as @JKorr mentioned its best to start with traits that are most desirable to you. Also some traits are more common drops than others. for example well fitted and sturdy are very common whereas divines and impenetrable dont drop quite as often. The only traits you will have issues with acquiring for research are the nirncrux traits. gear with them only drop in craglorn and the trait mat can be pricy so even crafted research gear for the traits can be pricey.
  • Black12Jack44
    Thank you both! That makes more sense that it has to be that many traits for each piece of gear. I will continue researching and crafting away!
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to add that jewelry crafting will be coming with Summerset (you have to own the chapter in order to craft jewelry), so we will be getting more options to help us customize our gear. It will now be possible, though perhaps not desirable, to use two crafted sets.

Also, welcome to ESO and to crafting! It takes a lot of time to get everything researched, so without research scrolls (which can be obtained from Rolis Hlaalu for writ vouchers or from the Crown Store) it will take you over a year to get all traits researched (there are 9 traits on each piece of gear to learn). So, be sure to pick up the passives that reduce research times when you reach the appropriate skill level to unlock them. Researching more than one piece at a time is essential.
  • Black12Jack44
    Thanks! Those are great tips, and that's good to know about the Summerset Isles; I hadn't heard that, and it would be really nice to have the ability to craft jewelry.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also get guildmates to craft them for you, this tend to be cheap to free for new players at least if you have the materials.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes; I forgot to add that part. Many guilds have crafters who are happy to make research items "to order", so to speak, for guildies. I don't charge for research items, or ask for the mats, even nirnhoned items, however due to the fact that the rng gremlins in craglorn really don't like me anyone who wants nirnhoned items has to give me the nirncrux.
    Edited by JKorr on April 16, 2018 6:08AM
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if this is still the case, but your sub-CP150 provisioning writ requirements were dependent on what alliance you belonged to. (I.E. An Aldmeri Dominion character doing level 1 writs would be required to make different food/drink than a Daggerfall Covenant character doing level 1 writs)

With this in mind, the NPC merchant chef/brewer only sold the recipes specific to the zone/alliance they were located in. (So a chef in Marbruk, Greenshade would be selling AD-specific recipes, and a chef in Daggerfall, Glenumbra would be selling DC-specific recipes.)

Not sure if this ever got updated, but if you're struggling to find a chef/brewer selling the recipes you need, make sure you're shopping in a zone that matches that character's alliance.

Edit for redundancy.
    Edited by Feric51 on April 16, 2018 1:29PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Black12Jack44
    I wasn't aware of that either, so thanks for your input!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my General Purpose Crafting Leveling Spiel with the most effecient way to level the various crafts and approach trait research with a plan:

Equipment Crafting

Decon all mob loot other than what you are using to research traits. Research traits, learn two on all items you would use, then learn 3, etc. Focus on Divines, Infused and Training for your first three for Armor, Sharpened, Precise and Training for your Weapons. Then go for the other ones. Nirn is expensive, and a lot of people suggest putting a priority on that, I can't see why. The Trait is all but useless for Armor or Weapons. Best place to find Mob Loot is Public Dungeons, then over land grind spots. Grind on mobs until your bags are full, then go on a decon fest. Remembering to save the ones you need or want to research. Use the Lock Function and or an Inventory Mule to hang on to those. Only invest Skill points while leveling it into the Research and Extraction Passive, the last really only needing one point.

Enchanting

Ignore all the "advice" on the web about using an enchanting partner. First, use Mob Loot decon to raise this up to a point. Later on as you approach end game have some some gold, then start making Green, Blue or Purple Glyphs on one character and decon them on an Alt. You will level Enchanting faster than trading the glyphs with another player, which is tedious by the way. (like pull out your hair and make a doily tedious). Use Green up to about L15 in the Enchanting Skill, Blue up to about L30/35 and Purple up to about L46/47. Then learn the runes you don't know, you should be at or near 50, if not, make/decon some more Purples.

Provisioning and Alchemy

Don't worry about these, you can level these professions in about an 20 minutes, for both. Just collect the Various Solvents and Reagents and Provisioning Ingredients/Recipes as you go along. Once end game, then you can level it. Use Mushrooms to level Alchemy, or Flowers that make potions you won't use. Make sure you grab solvents (waters) as your leveling as they can be rare to find in the guild stores. For Provisioning, make the highest level Green Recipes you can make. Blue or Purples do not give any more inspiration than Greens, so save those for character use.

Yes, use Drop Sets for now, and Yes, level your crafting skills and do the Trait Research. Traits are why you craft as they allow you to make Special Crafted Sets. There are two sets in the game that your going to want to make, Julianos for your Magic Characters, and Hundings Rage for your Stamina Characters. There are no better sets in the game to have 5 pieces of. Period. Well, Twice Born Star is great to, but your a year out from making that. But you need to start learning your traits now.

While it takes 6 traits known to be able to make Hundings or Julianos, 9 Traits for Twice Born Star. You don't need to know learn all of these traits on everything before you craft anything. In fact, there are nice sets that you only need to know 2 or 3 or 4 traits to make. So, learn 2 traits first, then 3 etc. This way you can be making set items in just a few days. So, start learning those traits. Focus on the gear you will use first, then fill in the rest later. This means:

Casters
    Heavy Chest/Legs
    Light Feet/Hands/Waist
    Shoulders and Heads are good to, but there are 2 Piece Monster sets that can take up those slots. So learn the traits on these pieces, but prioritize the ones above.
    Staves (all 4 of them)

Stamina
    All Medium Armors
    Daggers, Swords, Axes, Bow and Shield if your going to Tank.

Learn Training, Divines and Infused on the Armors first, Sharpened, Precise, Infused and Training on the Weapons. Powered is good for the Healing Staff, Defending is good for Sword or other one handed Melee. Then fill in the rest until you have 6 traits on each piece of gear you will use. Eventually you will learn all 9 traits. Some people recommend Nirn as an early trait to learn. Unless they change it, don't listen to them. You might use it on a Shield or a Weapon but that is about it. You need it someday, but it's expensive and you need your gold for other things.

Invest the skill points into the Research Passives. I can't stress enough how much of a time sink Trait Research is. Be able to learn more than one at a time, and reduce the time needed. Get an addon for Trait Research Tracking, I recommend Craft Store. If your on the Consoles, find one of the spreadsheets out there or make one to track this. Have I mentioned you need to learn your traits?

Doing this you will be ready to invest skill points into Crafting when it matters and not have to spend months getting ready. Did I mention Trait Research and how much a time sink it is? The last two traits will take you a month each to learn, on each item you learn them on. Get started now, yesterday would have been better.

Edited by Nestor on April 16, 2018 6:31PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Black12Jack44
    Thanks so much for the info Nestor! I think I may have come across some of this somewhere else, and the stuff about trait research is something that is particularly useful. I've found it bit tricky regarding what to prioritize there, so that's helpful to have some guidelines for where to start.