The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How does Volatile Familiar inherit crit rate and is snapshotting possible (one hopes not)?

Jarryzzt
Jarryzzt
✭✭✭✭
"LeFou, I'm afraid I've been thinking..."
"A dangerous pastime!"
"I know..."

Playing around with my Magsorc questions came up. In particular, I wonder how Volatile Familiar (and, by extension, all other pets) inherits its crit rate. Specifically:

a) Never, because there is some natural crit rate (that may be zero) which can never be changed?

b) When it is summoned (and fixed until death/resummon)?

c) Each time you cast the pulse?

d) Each time the pulse "pulses" (five times in 8 seconds)?

To me, option (d) makes the most sense, because that just sort of makes it like any other damage skill with multiple damage packets over time so far as I understand this game's damage model (which is why you have the bow DoTs on the backbar and Flawless Dawnbringer on the front bar). And prevents stupidly ridiculous snapshotting - option (b) is the absolute worst-case scenario in that regard because I can just walk around with a perma-crit familiar then.

But I am just guessing it's option (d), and wanted to confirm or disprove said guess.