The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

1 Tamriel the Class System

rynth
rynth
✭✭✭✭✭
like the title says what ESO did for 1 Tamriel they should do for the class skill lines. At character creation after choosing the race, look, and name of your character you get to choose three skill lines from all the class skills. Thus instead of having people want a whole new class all ZOS need to do is add a class skill line. They could have a shrine in game for if you decide you want to swap out class skills that would cost you say 10,000 gold(just a guess and me throwing out a number) for each class swap and cost of removing the number of skill pts. put in that class. PvE, PvP, role playing builds would be just about endless with all the skill lines that are offered now and added in the future.

Now I know people going to hate this idea because they are set in their ways and have grinded for that weapon to fit their build. But, have to move beyond that and look at the possibilities and new ideas creating a class skill line pool to choose from. You can literally build your own class and idea and show it off. Not to mention it allows easier flexibility to add new content for class stuff later down the road and maybe more frequently.
When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh

So basically your trying to mix and match class lines to allow for some type of hybrid class system.
    This would completely turn the traditional ES class system on its head. People would pick the best 3 of all classes.

How about no

You already choose your class lines by picking the class.
    Edited by Katahdin on February 28, 2018 6:54PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • NobleGuardian
    NobleGuardian
    ✭✭✭
    Horrible idea, get out. I’m calling you a doctor so you can get your head checked out
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, thank you.

I like my classes the way they are.
    The Moot Councillor
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about we throw over the entire class system on which the game was based and on which loads and loads of time has been spent balancing, yeah?

Uh, sure.
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Uh

So basically your trying to mix and match class lines to allow for some type of hybrid class system.
    This would completely turn the traditional ES class system on its head. People would pick the best 3 of all classes.

How about no

last time I checked ES never had a class system, you picked from a wide variety of skills that were open to choose from at any time. Oh wait that is sort of what I'm talking about now, huh who'd a thunk it. Actually that isn't so picking the best of three classes because which ones are they then that work best together?????
    When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There seems to be quite stiff competition for the daftest thread of the forum these days, but this one is well ahead at the moment. Just no, thanks.
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about we throw over the entire class system on which the game was based and on which loads and loads of time has been spent balancing, yeah?

Uh, sure.

well game isn't based on the classes i.e. no class specific quests and as to nerfs well that is no biggy because no matter what there are always going to be nerfs.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rynth wrote: »
    Uh

How about no

last time I checked ES never had a class system, you picked from a wide variety of skills that were open to choose from at any time. Oh wait that is sort of what I'm talking about now, huh who'd a thunk it. Actually that isn't so picking the best of three classes because which ones are they then that work best together?????

Well, the Elder Scrolls never had a class system that locked you out of certain skills, no. But the class system in ESO doesn't lock you out of weapon skills, at most it locks you out of some magical effects that you would learn through magical training in the other TES games.

It would still mean that people would choose the best of all the classes, thus wrecking much of the diversity in the game. Furthermore, you'd have to drastically limit the amount of passives that players could have, and rebalance everything to account for passive and skills that previously couldn't be combined on the same player.

It'd be a mess for the devs.
  • Morvane
    Morvane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shadow, Light and a bit of Mushrooms <3
    DC Dunmer Sorcerer since 2014
    @morvayn54, PC/EU
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh

How about no

Well, the Elder Scrolls never had a class system that locked you out of certain skills, no. But the class system in ESO doesn't lock you out of weapon skills, at most it locks you out of some magical effects that you would learn through magical training in the other TES games.

It would still mean that people would choose the best of all the classes, thus wrecking much of the diversity in the game. Furthermore, you'd have to drastically limit the amount of passives that players could have, and rebalance everything to account for passive and skills that previously couldn't be combined on the same player.

now I'll agree with you for the passives, hadn't thought about that.....perhaps do away with passives. but again as to the three most op skill lines fact is no one knows which of those are or if there are any three that beat out everything else.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh

How about no

now I'll agree with you for the passives, hadn't thought about that.....perhaps do away with passives. but again as to the three most op skill lines fact is no one knows which of those are or if there are any three that beat out everything else.

Really?

Okay, if I want to tank, I'll grab from Dragonknight and Warden. DK tankiness and crowd control + Warden selfhealing, yes please.

If I want to heal, I'll grab from Templar and Warden to get the benefits of both.

DPS depends too much on class at the moment for me to really figure out what would be the most effective, but I don't doubt that the number crunchers and build testers would soon have it figured out.

As it is currently, all of the classes have strengths and weaknesses. This leads to balanced PVP (a class is good at one thing and really bad at something else, rock, paper, scissors style) and a PVE environment where all the classes can fill all the roles, but each class has a niche they fill more efficiently than the others.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fun idea, okay here are my three:

Dawn's Wrath
    Draconic Power
    Shadow

oh yeah, come at me bro...

edit: and, to all you cynical boo birds out there today:
    tumblr_n0r7lyt53S1qdhrnoo1_500.gif

:p
    Edited by geonsocal on February 28, 2018 7:21PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won't happen. Too much effort has already been invested into the class system (not to mention possible future revenue for selling new classes) and on top of that there would be some absurd combinations that would be impossible to balance.

PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • leothedino
    leothedino
    ✭✭✭✭
    This would completely turn the traditional ES class system on its head.

You know, traditional class system... those traditional classes we had to pick on character creation on the single player games? Specific classes locking us out of other spell schools or weapon skills? Those classes?

No idea what 'traditional ES' games you played, but the unique selling point of TES has been it's open free-form classing, until ESO, anyway.
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh

How about no

Really?

Okay, if I want to tank, I'll grab from Dragonknight and Warden. DK tankiness and crowd control + Warden selfhealing, yes please.

If I want to heal, I'll grab from Templar and Warden to get the benefits of both.

DPS depends too much on class at the moment for me to really figure out what would be the most effective, but I don't doubt that the number crunchers and build testers would soon have it figured out.

As it is currently, all of the classes have strengths and weaknesses. This leads to balanced PVP (a class is good at one thing and really bad at something else, rock, paper, scissors style) and a PVE environment where all the classes can fill all the roles, but each class has a niche they fill more efficiently than the others.

maybe, maybe but then again you don't know that I bet you someone else come up with a better build and when someone does that someone else will come up with a better combination. The point is have free class skill lines like traditional ES allows for many possibilities for builds not just one build to rule them all.
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    Won't happen. Too much effort has already been invested into the class system (not to mention possible future revenue for selling new classes) and on top of that there would be some absurd combinations that would be impossible to balance.

yeah but thing is they've done one new class in how many years and even then people crap on it, this way all needs be done is add a skill line and go from there. Sure there may be absurd combinations but the thing is it's going to take a year or so for people to go through different combinations. At one point you might have a combo that does really good, but then next week or month someone else discovers a totally new combo(s) that work. heck if ZOS comes out with 2 combo's a year it's going to be a bit before a "regular" build surfaces that would actually stay on top
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh

How about no

Really?

maybe, maybe but then again you don't know that I bet you someone else come up with a better build and when someone does that someone else will come up with a better combination. The point is have free class skill lines like traditional ES allows for many possibilities for builds not just one build to rule them all.

yeah but thing is they've done one new class in how many years and even then people crap on it, this way all needs be done is add a skill line and go from there. Sure there may be absurd combinations but the thing is it's going to take a year or so for people to go through different combinations. At one point you might have a combo that does really good, but then next week or month someone else discovers a totally new combo(s) that work. heck if ZOS comes out with 2 combo's a year it's going to be a bit before a "regular" build surfaces that would actually stay on top

You have an adorably naive view of the meta-chasers in this game.
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    There seems to be quite stiff competition for the daftest thread of the forum these days, but this one is well ahead at the moment. Just no, thanks.

Message of the day, You Sir get an Awesome.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh

How about no

Really?

no not really all you need do is google builds or youtube them and you will come up with a lot of different builds for each class. There is no one single build above all the other classes but different ideas and concepts for different classes that work well within the game. So, by that factor alone allowing the game to run like a true ES game with no classes and choosing your class skills you now add a lot more variables in creating character builds
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh

How about no

Really?

no not really all you need do is google builds or youtube them and you will come up with a lot of different builds for each class. There is no one single build above all the other classes but different ideas and concepts for different classes that work well within the game. So, by that factor alone allowing the game to run like a true ES game with no classes and choosing your class skills you now add a lot more variables in creating character builds

Look, you can complete overland PVE content and most vet dungeon content on whatever build you want. For end-game, you can complete the content, but there's a meta, and people have that figured out.

Opening up all the class lines is going to make more diversity in content where it doesn't matter what you use. End-game content is still going to be as narrow as it ever was, except it'll just be different skills than before.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

Dawn's Wrath
    Draconic Power
    Shadow

Shadow
    Nature
    Storm

Edit: no, wait...!
    Edited by Jitterbug on February 28, 2018 8:34PM
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I didn't like the switch to 1T, I sure wouldn't like this change.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • rustic_potato
    rustic_potato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about no? Would like more classes not make the existing ones useless. Also this is an MMO based of the elder scrolls lore. Stop trying to compare it to the other elder scrolls game.

I play how I want to.

• Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Uh

How about no

First of all, I agree that it would be a rebalancing nightmare and probably not a good idea at this point. However, as far as diversity is concerned, lack of diversity as a result of people choosing the "best" class skills is entirely the fault of the players. If people weren't so hung up on min/maxed meta builds, we'd see a lot more diversity. True, there is some responsibility on the devs to make diverse skills comparable in their effectiveness. But there is little that can be done when people obsess over less than one percent differences.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not following the first thought.
    What was done with One Tamriel that relates to your idea?

One Tamriel, scales the zones like the DLC, what about those changes relates to your idea?
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One Tamriel, scales the zones like the DLC, what about those changes relates to your idea?

One Tamriel opened up all the zones to all levels.
    This would open up all the class lines to everyone.

At least, I think that's the connection.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One Tamriel opened up all the zones to all levels.
    This would open up all the class lines to everyone.

At least, I think that's the connection.

Hmmm, big of a stretch but I’ll go with it.

——————————————————-
    Response to the OP
    ——————————————————-
    If there is such a change, I’d rather a few things happen but it would not align with your suggestion in the same way you described it.

-Skills would need to be unlocked as we adventure similar to a mix of Weapon skill lines stats that raise and unlock based on use.

-There would have to be restrictions on how many active skills we had access to. Meaning those that we can assign to the bar. Not the number but a factor that applies seperately on PvE to PvP zones.

-There would have to be an overcharged feature brought back for assigning stat points.

-CP would need to be removed entirely and replaced with something like the existing skill lines having 1-100 levels and at set increments, there would be passives that unlock in tiers like the constellations in Skyrim.

Other than that, I’m open to unlocked skills or deleting the existing class system. I’d also be open to other ways of removing the class system but in either way, CP and VR have to go away too.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    geonsocal wrote: »

Dawn's Wrath
    Draconic Power
    Shadow

Shadow
    Nature
    Storm

Edit: no, wait...!

yeah, shadow is pretty much a must have...

I was torn between green balance and restoring light for healing - but - figured I could get by with dragon blood from the draconic power skill line, plus dragon leap is always fun...

and, if I really wanted to group heal i could use either vigor or a resto staff...

storm is great for ranged combat and buffing up, but, i'm hooked on my magplar's ranged attack, so I went with dawn's wrath...

definitely would be a tough choice though...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweeps + Surge + Ward = No need for a healer......
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That was a thing in The Secret World, and pretty much every set of skills ended up exactly the same. It was really only the illusion of variety, unfortunately. Everything was homogenized between tanking, healing, damage dealing, melee, and ranged. Just different animations. Same functionality.