The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Run, run, run

egood1225
egood1225
Soul Shriven
Could someone let me know why a majority of players in Elder Scrolls Online run everywhere? It seems no matter where I am, or what I'm doing - other people are running. Either that, or if they're on a horse (or other type of mount), they're speeding everywhere. I prefer to walk slowly, but it seems 95% of all players I see are running everywhere.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because it saves time and gets you from Point A to Point B quicker. That's the only reason.

But you should try it in real life. You burn a lot of extra calories :D
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    egood1225 wrote: »
    Could someone let me know why a majority of players in Elder Scrolls Online run everywhere? It seems no matter where I am, or what I'm doing - other people are running. Either that, or if they're on a horse (or other type of mount), they're speeding everywhere. I prefer to walk slowly, but it seems 95% of all players I see are running everywhere.

I understand you, I am just walking especialy in places that I like to know better, feel better like Vivec city - totaly different perspecitve :) Most of the players though rushes evereywhere because they don't want to waste their time on things like walking because they have limited amount of time to play, they want to progress as fast as possible... But on certain level, when you feel that you achieved what you wanted you can relax and simply enjoy the game (like you should from very begining). Its beautiful game, very detailed (for MMO ofc) and build with taste. Sometimes its good to stop for a moment, even few minutes, take a deep breath and admire whats arround you, its really refreshing.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no patience to look at my char walking slowly
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time is a finite resource, whilst I sometimes like to stop and smell the roses if I have something to do I want to do it faster so I can do more things afterwards.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • ihazzit
    ihazzit
    ✭✭✭
    I can think of a few, such as dailies, dolmens, writs, buying things 'cause popular items go quick. It can be unproductive if one doesn't get those done rather quickly, but outside of that it's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAkLQWgExqs
    If you are angry about anything in this game you are only punishing yourself.
    Options
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because we have so much to do and so little time. If you work and have a family, your gaming time is a precious resource and you don't want to waste it lollygagging.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run everywhere because thats the default speed of my character.

On my farmer, I sprint everywhere because I wear gear that lets me run really fast for a long time, so why not.
    Options
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They must be playing stamina characters.

On my wimpy magicka warden, I can TRY to run ... but she gets out of breath in seconds and just can't. LOL.

A stamina Orc character, though ... he can run across a city before he gets winded. B)
    Options
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My orc is fat
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My orc is fat
    I called my orc fat once then got corrected by my friend that he was not fat, they were eating muscles.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One reason that I did not see was that the players have already been in that area and did all the quests there. They just want to get where they need to go. Also in cities, they run or ride from the banker to the crafting area.
    Just my two cents worth.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
    Options
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    egood1225 wrote: »
    I prefer to walk slowly, but it seems 95% of all players I see are running everywhere.
    Not everyone is hard RPer you know
    Options
  • TamrielSaviour215
    TamrielSaviour215
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what build I am playing. If I am on my main, I am usually farming for mats to do dailies, craft for guilds or other builds. If you are in a high loot region, its not sensible to get on a horse when you will just jump off in 3 seconds to farm some more wood. I have a couple builds that I just run non stop trying to do things quickly to gain exp, gold, and mats. But I also have builds that I take my time with and enjoy quests and areas that I never took the time to check out from before.
    PS4/NA
    Jasunr Cosmus - Imperial Templar, Supreme Healer of the Cosmos CP 240
    Itzal Siavish - Khajit NB, Thief LVL 38
    Bruxana - Altmer Sorc, Powerhouse DPS Lvl 18
    Torvakor - Redguard Stam Warden Lvl 7
    Langsdon Emerson - Imperial DK Tank - Lvl 31
    Options
  • Shanjijri
    Shanjijri
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Khajiit is too old to take his time.
    Options
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Griffe wrote: »
    My Khajiit is too old to take his time.

That makes both 0% & 100% sense at the same time...
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
    Options
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    speed running dungeons :(

I wish this wasn't a thing... If dungeon gear was BOE it might reduce those grinding (speed running dungeons).
    Options
  • Saphayla
    Saphayla
    ✭✭✭
    Running outside when going from store to store, from location to location? That's perfectly normal and understandable.

Sprinting in dungeons, barely leaving enough time to loot bodies? *** that.
    Options
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I remember when someone wanted the game to force everyone into a walk while in any town. Everyone jumped on that someone.
    Options
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    time is a precious resource and you don't want to waste it lollygagging.

You wind up in Cidna Mine if you lollygag.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.

Loremaster’s Archive open for questions!
    Options
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's only if you ask too many questions and stick your nose where it doesn't belong.

LOL! o:)
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because
    • Sprint is closer to 'run' speed.
    • "Run" is about as fast as a walk should be.
    • and RP walk is so slow you actually risk travelling back in time.

The speeds are exaggerated to a very slow degree, then some NPC mob adds a 70% snare on you as well. If you want a prime example, on a new character you can outrun an unleveled horse at a dead sprint.

You also have to factor in
    • You can fight a daedric god, but you can't fathom how to get over that 6" tall picket fence in front of you.
    • Characters and mounts both have ridiculously low acceleration ~ pretty sure my Tiger's gonna set me back in my saddle when I kick it in gear.
    • Every stupid little environmental thing resets your sprint - blade of grass, mudcrab, rock that is 1.2 inches tall.
    • Things that would get nudged out of the way or flat out knocked down are apparently rooted in stone - don't bother trying to walk your 800 pound steed around the local lady picking flowers, she is permanently immovable.
    • You can get dismounted when the wind blows.
    • NPC's are complete morons, blocking paths, able to push you out of the way. *Bonus points for getting blocked by two chatting NPC's when you're in mystform...*
    • The combat system isn't bright enough to know when an NPC is outclassed (wouldn't engage you, for fear of death) or simply not worth your time (A level 10 skeever nipping at my CP300+ heals wouldn't even scuff my boots, let alone do damage).

Add all these things together and you lose so much time simply trying to walk from point A to point B, you have to sprint to make up the difference.
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on March 2, 2018 12:37PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because

The speeds are exaggerated to a very slow degree, then some NPC mob adds a 70% snare on you as well. If you want a prime example, on a new character you can outrun an unleveled horse at a dead sprint.

• You can fight a daedric god, but you can't fathom how to get over that 6" tall picket fence in front of you.
    • Characters and mounts both have ridiculously low acceleration ~ pretty sure my Tiger's gonna set me back in my saddle when I kick it in gear.
    • Every stupid little environmental thing resets your sprint - blade of grass, mudcrab, rock that is 1.2 inches tall.
    • Things that would get nudged out of the way or flat out knocked down are apparently rooted in stone - don't bother trying to walk your 800 pound steed around the local lady picking flowers, she is permanently immovable.
    • NPC's are complete morons, blocking paths, able to push you out of the way.
    • The combat system isn't bright enough to know when an NPC is outclassed (wouldn't engage you, for fear of death) or simply not worth your time (A level 10 skeever nipping at my CP300+ heals wouldn't even scuff my boots, let alone do damage).

Add all these things together and you lose so much time simply trying to walk from point A to point B, you have to sprint to make up the difference.
    Love this post. Laughed so hard made my eyes water.
    Just want to add one thing, about that that 6" tall picket fence. That may be true, but I am stopped dead in my tracks by a 1" rock that I have to jump over.

PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
    Options
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because

• NPC's are complete morons, blocking paths, able to push you out of the way.

Just want to add one thing, about that that 6" tall picket fence. That may be true, but I am stopped dead in my tracks by a 1" rock that I have to jump over.

PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Easily_Lost it's already on the list ;)

Can also add that when you do jump, it's 3 feet in the air, but only 6 inches forward. The more dire your circumstance (lava), the higher your vertical, the shorter your distance.

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on March 2, 2018 12:35PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Easily_Lost it's already on the list ;)
    I was laughing so hard that I missed it. Eyes watering so bad could not read. :D

PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Options
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    No, that's only if you ask too many questions and stick your nose where it doesn't belong.

LOL! o:)

"You'll never see the light of day again."
    Options
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    on a new character you can outrun an unleveled horse at a dead sprint.

e85ca29d88d3c26841f5752330123d3a4278828505527d747d80613c957bbb1f.jpg
    Options
  • Kreetar
    Kreetar
    ✭✭✭
    we've got places to be and people to see! no time to stop and sniff the roses! :lol:
    dip me in the blood of mortals and throw me to the Dremora

Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I walk a fair amount - both on foot and while mounted. I will argue that public dungeons especially encourage racing through them. If you try walking/sneaking through a public dungeon, the mobs you just killed will respawn on your head before you can loot them, check nearby containers/bags etc for loot and move on. So, that kind of forces you to run through public dungeons and only do cursory exploration. I get why that is (MMO / lotsa players) but nevertheless it does encourage speed running dungeons.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Options
  • Meanah
    Meanah
    My lover hates that I play this game, so if I don’t run than my time runs out ;)
    Edited by Meanah on March 10, 2018 1:34AM
    Options