The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is Cauterize anything other than useless?

Some_Guy
Some_Guy
✭✭✭✭
Has anyone ever found an actual use for this ability? I ask seriously.
I've been away from the game for a few months and I know this was possibly the most criticized ability in the game since the day it was added. But METAs shift and people find new things, so I was wondering if anyone had found a legitimate use for this random targeting heal. Maybe in solo play? I doubt this would be a legit part of a serious healer build... Or is this still possibly the most useless skill ever?
Anyone?
We Wipe On Trash
Vivian Naiviv CP Altmer Sorcerer
Shivnado the Potato CP Redguard Sorcerer
Cüddle Mönster CP Argonian Sorcerer
Ebonheart Pact Spy CP Dunmer Dragonknight
Delilah Blackheart CP Redguard Dragonknight
My Best Friend CP Argonian Dragonknight
Sensual Heals CP Dunmer Templar
Daggerfall Covenant Spy CP Redguard Templar
Föcùs-Thê-Hælèr CP Argonian Templar
Goes-the-Wrong-Way CP Dunmer Nightblade
Anu'Thir Phuh'Kinspy CP Redguard Nightblade
Works-in-Sweatshop CP Argonian Nightblade
Anu'thir Phuh'kin Bearpun CP Altmer Warden
Bubble Crumbles CP Redguard Warden
A'driån Kin'hör CP Argonian Warden
Clearly, your egg was left in the shade too long.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Some people use it occasionally if solo for a kind of HoT. Pretty *** IMO though. ST. Every 5s so not reliable as a normal hot, and not even that much. Utterly useless as a healer.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can use it as a burst heal. It heals everytime you hit the button.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When you hit the button it will heal immediately, its a cushion heal as well as an on demand burst heal.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Meh, I've used it on my DK tank to help when the healer is crap but other than that, I rarely see it
    Argonian forever
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not as bad as ppl think. Can help you get out of execute range in a pinch. But I prefer the damaging morph...its actually useless in PvE, don't use it there.
    Ps4 - PSN:jdmaya
    Dårth Måul (AD- Dunmer Mag DK) Legate
    Latest Vid:https://youtu.be/WZp_IdyrL6Q
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    worst skill of the shittiest class in the game,

What? you expected something good out of it?

Too weak in PvP(plus FoO actually hits decent while being cheap, so you lose damage by picking the heal morph over it), totally no need for it in PvE.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 27, 2018 8:00PM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean at least DKs are still fantastic in PvE used as Tanks/Stam DPS, and are (despite complaints) still valuable in PvP when played skillfully which many ppl do. They aren’t uncommon in PvP atm though I can only speak for that in terms of the CWC patch.

If you want to talk about the worst class then look no further than Wardens. It’s uncommon to see even a single Warden in PvE, and in PvP they’re getting carried rn by Shimmering shield which will def get nerfed eventually. Mag Warden already lost their undodgeable birds (good change though). Plus their main burst from Scorch is easy to avoid against nearly every Warden I’ve fought. That makes them the absolute worst PvE class while simultaneously okay in PvP..... aka the actual worst class. Have to avoid “P2W” cries unfortunately :unamused:

All I’m saying is chill out lol. DKs aren’t the only class getting shafted. Sorcs and Templars have been getting big nerfs since Morrowind and Wardens were never good. It’s a trend that ZOS is setting of balance through nerfs - no one likes it.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cauterize is a perfect example of a horrendous skill which could get massive buffs to make DK Healers viable.

Will it actually happen though? Nope.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »

I mean at least DKs are still fantastic in PvE used as Tanks/Stam DPS, and are (despite complaints) still valuable in PvP when played skillfully which many ppl do. They aren’t uncommon in PvP atm though I can only speak for that in terms of the CWC patch.

If you want to talk about the worst class then look no further than Wardens. It’s uncommon to see even a single Warden in PvE, and in PvP they’re getting carried rn by Shimmering shield which will def get nerfed eventually. Mag Warden already lost their undodgeable birds (good change though). Plus their main burst from Scorch is easy to avoid against nearly every Warden I’ve fought. That makes them the absolute worst PvE class while simultaneously okay in PvP..... aka the actual worst class. Have to avoid “P2W” cries unfortunately :unamused:

All I’m saying is chill out lol. DKs aren’t the only class getting shafted. Sorcs and Templars have been getting big nerfs since Morrowind and Wardens were never good. It’s a trend that ZOS is setting of balance through nerfs - no one likes it.

Stam warden is literally a better stamDk even without shimmering shields, there is no defending it.

Don't really care about it to be honest. Stam warden also wouldn't be that good of a class if zos didn't nerfed stamplar/stamDK into ground, just to make wardens look ''unique''. in other words, pay. to. win.

Tho It is what it is, MMOs are all about milking the playerbase nowadays, and ESO just proved its no exception.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 27, 2018 8:18PM
  • Dragath
    Dragath
    ✭✭✭✭
    i'd double the healing but removing the first tick.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've run into some tanks running it. Saved my rear during a no death run one time.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dragath wrote: »

the issue with it is the fact that you don't get the heal when you need it, but instead at every 5 seconds, which is random.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

the issue with it is the fact that you don't get the heal when you need it, but instead at every 5 seconds, which is random.

Like all smart heals they will heal the lowest target. When you need the heal, you cast cauterize and it immediately fires the heal (which heals for a nice chunk) thus delivering it when you need it

Outside of that, you let it run when you are healing a small group and it provides a cushion to suppliment your healing. The skill is primarily for dk healers which are in need of more help. Cauterize is not the answer that issue though.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stam warden is literally a better stamDk even without shimmering shields, there is no defending it.

Don't really care about it to be honest. Stam warden also wouldn't be that good of a class if zos didn't nerfed stamplar/stamDK into ground, just to make wardens look ''unique''. in other words, pay. to. win.

Tho It is what it is, MMOs are all about milking the playerbase nowadays, and ESO just proved its no exception.

Someone sounds jaded. I have yet to see a single instance of a stam warden pulling better numbers than a stam dk. There's also a reason most top trials guilds are still running dk tanks and not warden tanks.

Besides all that, dk is still easily the best 1vX class in PvP, no question.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

Someone sounds jaded. I have yet to see a single instance of a stam warden pulling better numbers than a stam dk. There's also a reason most top trials guilds are still running dk tanks and not warden tanks.

And guess who doesn't care about trials?

Dk is best 1vX class? rofl... Where are your 1vX clips?

Or are you one of those pugs who Xv1 a permablocker and get stomped?
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 27, 2018 10:57PM
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You are, so... so wrong.

DK is the worst 1vX class in the game due to *** sustain and mobility. Sure, SDK pulls high parses in PvE, but now stamblade outdoes them, and they are on par with stamsorc and templar. And yeah, DK makes good tanks. The one thing making them better is chains. Wardens have comparable regen and tankiness.
    Best houseknight EU.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Did you actually say that stam DK is a better 1vX class than stam warden? I thought april fools is a month away. Cause you know, only on april fools day that statement would make any sense.
  • Some_Guy
    Some_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, just to confirm, cauterize is the single most useless skill in the entire game?
    We Wipe On Trash
    Vivian Naiviv CP Altmer Sorcerer
    Shivnado the Potato CP Redguard Sorcerer
    Cüddle Mönster CP Argonian Sorcerer
    Ebonheart Pact Spy CP Dunmer Dragonknight
    Delilah Blackheart CP Redguard Dragonknight
    My Best Friend CP Argonian Dragonknight
    Sensual Heals CP Dunmer Templar
    Daggerfall Covenant Spy CP Redguard Templar
    Föcùs-Thê-Hælèr CP Argonian Templar
    Goes-the-Wrong-Way CP Dunmer Nightblade
    Anu'Thir Phuh'Kinspy CP Redguard Nightblade
    Works-in-Sweatshop CP Argonian Nightblade
    Anu'thir Phuh'kin Bearpun CP Altmer Warden
    Bubble Crumbles CP Redguard Warden
    A'driån Kin'hör CP Argonian Warden
    Clearly, your egg was left in the shade too long.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some_Guy wrote: »
    So, just to confirm, cauterize is the single most useless skill in the entire game?

No, that title goes to soul trap.
  • sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cauterize is a perfect example of a horrendous skill which could get massive buffs to make DK Healers viable.

Will it actually happen though? Nope.

Alcast made a video on a DK healer but not without skill equipped.
    NA-Xbox one- Ebonheart Pact- Nord Tank DK
    PC-NA Ebonheart Pact Nord Stam Templar
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    Meh, I've used it on my DK tank to help when the healer is crap but other than that, I rarely see it

I’m pretty sure you’re better off just casting Igneous Shields for the group, or Green Dragon Blood for yourself. It’s a wasted slot on a DK tank bar when you have significantly better skills at your disposal.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make cautarize instantly target player with lowest hp and keep shooting heals a few pulses? Like a dk version of BoL.
  • Blobsky
    Blobsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only assumption is nobody here has ever used it, because this skill is incredible in pvp. It is literally a magicka vigor. Depending on the build it can be absolutely invaluable.
    Yt Channell: Blobsky

DC EU Nightblade
    Owner of 'The Travelling Merchant' - Craglorn trade guild since near release!
  • Dragath
    Dragath
    ✭✭✭✭

its not the issue. its the intended effect of my change.
    you have to be smart about it and get rewarded with a big heal, use it BEFORE you expect you need the heal, get the benefit after. thats the reason why vigor and shields are so strong, use it and then go offensive.
    its a lot better than a little heal at the beginning.
    Blobsky wrote: »
    My only assumption is nobody here has ever used it, because this skill is incredible in pvp. It is literally a magicka vigor. Depending on the build it can be absolutely invaluable.

looking at how much it heals, i think the healing over 15 seconds is too weak to compare it to vigor. you get the first heal immediatly, which is often not needed when you go offensive and then you get a lot less healing over the 5 second duration than you get from vigor.
    i'd rather have them change it to my proposal above or reduce the overall time to 10 seconds while keeping the 4 ticks.
    vigor and shields are really good against burst damage and allow you to go offensive without having to worry too much, cauterize not so much.

PS: i really do like your content. keep it up. :)
    Edited by Dragath on March 1, 2018 12:53PM
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What's cauterize?
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

its not the issue. its the intended effect of my change.
    you have to be smart about it and get rewarded with a big heal, use it BEFORE you expect you need the heal, get the benefit after. thats the reason why vigor and shields are so strong, use it and then go offensive.
    its a lot better than a little heal at the beginning.
    Blobsky wrote: »

looking at how much it heals, i think the healing over 15 seconds is too weak to compare it to vigor. you get the first heal immediatly, which is often not needed when you go offensive and then you get a lot less healing over the 5 second duration than you get from vigor.
    i'd rather have them change it to my proposal above or reduce the overall time to 10 seconds while keeping the 4 ticks.
    vigor and shields are really good against burst damage and allow you to go offensive without having to worry too much, cauterize not so much.

PS: i really do like your content. keep it up. :)

Its about 22k over 15s in light, or about 25k over 15s in heavy without defile. Not awful, as it has a very cheap cost, but not IMO worth a slot on the bar since its not reliable. If it was changed to one AoE pulse every 3s with the same total hps I would run it easily. More reliable and some actual group utility. Vigor can do 2.5-3.5k hps depending, and is AoE. I use magelight OW or FOO BGs/duels.
    Edited by ak_pvp on March 1, 2018 1:33PM
    Best houseknight EU.
  • coplannb16_ESO
    coplannb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    problem with both morphs is, that it starts to tick immediatly. Its 15 sec duration, 1 heal/fireball per 5 seconds.

now what would help a DK in PvP would be that I can precast it and it fires on the first target I attack (thus it starts ticking down only when/after I attack someone)

similar for a healer I should be able to precast it so it fires on an ally in range only if the ally is in need. this should be smart enough that, if it heals for 5000 HPs it fires when an ally is in range that has less than 5000 HP. Then it would work as backup-emergency somwhat/bursty heal when a target drops below a comfortable Mutagen-HoT HP level.

similar to the original ability (which was a toggle/aura) they could make an aura out of it again. Cast it / activate it for free, when an enemy is in range and attacked it fires a fireball for 1/3 of current magicka cost every 5 seconds. So DPS and magicka cost stay the same, but its more useful and less of a hassle.
    Similar could work for heal...
    Edited by coplannb16_ESO on March 1, 2018 1:44PM
    max level: mDK, stamBlade, stamSorc, magPlar, mDen, stamDen, magBlade, stamCro
    ESO+
    # of mules: 4 (FULL)
    maxed bank: FULL -_-
    Stop the grind! Get rid of stupid events and daily-quest gallore. Get rid of "have a chance of 1 in a million to get a piece of 1 in 30 to get a stupid motif or pet... wtf..."
    And at this point just remove all classes and have everyone choose their set of skills. then balance accordingly to skills always used vs. skills never used.