The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Thoughts for a PvP "tesla tank' build

Datolite
Datolite
✭✭✭✭✭
I've seen the videos for PvE. I had an idea for a tank for large scale PvP and possibly anti zerg.

Altmer Magsorc
2x Swarm Mother
5x Storm Knight's heavy
5x Thunder Bug (or Livewire for heals)
All magica and spell power enchants
Sword and board with plenty of shields and buffs
Lightning staff with WoE and Eye of the Storm

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Edited by Datolite on February 25, 2018 7:16PM
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Build lots o health.
    2. Slot vamp drain.
    3. ???
    4. Congrats, now you're tanking with science!
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimlok_S wrote: »
    1. Build lots o health.
    2. Slot vamp drain.
    3. ???
    4. Congrats, now you're tanking with science!

Edit nevermind I see. That's a great idea but it would leave the mag pool a bit dry.
    Edited by Datolite on February 25, 2018 7:27PM
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to double post, but what would be better with the high health vamp build? Templar (for blazing shield) or magsorc?
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swap swarm mother for grothdar. IMO, run either warden or Templar for a health stack build.

I have more experience as a warden. If warden, do some block cost reduction with sturdy/CP/glyphs. Use max health + mag recovery food. Go double S&B and maybe weigh the merits of one bar using an asylum S&B for the absorb magicka morph of defensive posture.
    Adenoma-Badenoma-Sadenoma
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, and do that health based AOE CC, use the leeching vines morph, and the polar wind heal thing that scales off of max health.
    Adenoma-Badenoma-Sadenoma
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adenoma wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and do that health based AOE CC, use the leeching vines morph, and the polar wind heal thing that scales off of max health.

I'm not very experienced with warden yet but I am seriously considering the health stack thing.

Swapping out for Grothdarr is tempting but the whole point of this build is to disrupt the zerg's front line. Go just close enough to be targeted, then pull in all their squishes into your aoe and your front line.

My main concern is having enough survivability and so I was considering dual shield stacking magsorc. But a templar with blazing shield and vampiric drain would be just as effective plus more aoe.

Thoughts?
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen the videos for PvE. I had an idea for a tank for large scale PvP and possibly anti zerg.

Altmer Magsorc
    2x Swarm Mother
    5x Storm Knight's heavy

explain pls the idea of anti-zerg?
    anyway, I still don´t get the idea of tanks in PvP?!
    stand somewhere and not die? but also not killing anyone?
    what sense does that make???
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azurya wrote: »

Altmer Magsorc
    2x Swarm Mother
    5x Storm Knight's heavy

This build is meant to be exactly what a Cyrodiil tank should be. Lots of survivability, lots of AoE damage and a function to pull squishy DPS players from the zerg and into your reach. Here is an updated version I'm working on...

Altmer Magsorc
    2x Swarm Mother (pulls in squishies)
    5x Storm Knight's heavy (aoe proc)
    5x Thunder Bug (aoe proc)
    All magicka/health and spell power enchants
    Spell damage/crit mundus

FRONT BAR, SnB
    1 Boundless Storm (resists and aoe)
    2 Power Surge (crit heals)
    3 Streak (in or out of the zerg)
    4 Bound Aegis (resistances)
    R Hardened Ward (protection)
    F Spell Wall (invincible for 6 sec)

BACK BAR, Destro
    1 Lightning Flood (more aoe)
    2 Wall of Elements (more aoe)
    3 Mage's Fury (execute and spammable)
    4 Inner Light (crit)
    R Invigorating Drain (heal)
    F Eye of the Storm (big aoe)

Now I'm just trying to decide whether to go infused/impen on armor or sturdy.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bad synergies, imho.

S+B + heavy armour - fairly standard for a build based on blocking/mitigation - where the damage taken is a lot less than the attackers tooltip - reducing the healing you need to stay alive - as you only need to heal the damage that gets past block/resists.

But adding sorc damage-shields into the mix - those do not benefit from armour resists/blocking at all - so combining block/heavy-armour with shields isn't nearly as effective as combining with heals.

Without light armour you will have massive magica sustain issues - especially if pumping spell-dmg rather than recov.. I also can't see how you could sustain blocking and where the heals would come from with no resto staff.

These are some of the reasons magsorcs are pretty-much pidgeon-holed into light armour/damage shields.

The only way I could see any possibility of a tanky heavy-armour magsorc build working is using ice-staff/resto, using resto heavies for sustain - and possibly desert-rose or bloodthorn. But I suspect it would still be inferior to the standard light builds in most cases - and inferior to heavy builds on other classes due to poor heals and the inability to block-cast heals while using weapons made for blocking (s+b/frost)

Edited by Biro123 on February 27, 2018 3:42PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    Bad synergies, imho.

S+B + heavy armour - fairly standard for a build based on blocking/mitigation - where the damage taken is a lot less than the attackers tooltip - reducing the healing you need to stay alive - as you only need to heal the damage that gets past block/resists.

But adding sorc damage-shields into the mix - those do not benefit from armour resists/blocking at all - so combining block/heavy-armour with shields isn't nearly as effective as combining with heals.

Without light armour you will have massive magica sustain issues - especially if pumping spell-dmg rather than recov.. I also can't see how you could sustain blocking and where the heals would come from with no resto staff.

These are some of the reasons magsorcs are pretty-much pidgeon-holed into light armour/damage shields.

The only way I could see any possibility of a tanky heavy-armour magsorc build working is using ice-staff/resto, using resto heavies for sustain - and possibly desert-rose or bloodthorn. But I suspect it would still be inferior to the standard light builds in most cases - and inferior to heavy builds on other classes due to poor heals and the inability to block-cast heals while using weapons made for blocking (s+b/frost)

Only works with Templar running channeled focus+ ele drain with atro + 3 cost reduction/Regen glyths. You'll probably sit at 1600 Regen, 40k health and just let the procs + blazing shield deal DMG. But otherwise you are a healbot.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    Bad synergies, imho.

The hope of this build was to mitigate the cost of damage spells by relying on the AoE armor procs and AoE dots. Then Fury and heavy attack. That combined with some Witchmother brew and a tri-potion (or health/magicka/immovable) and I'll have all the resources I need to block and cast all day.

You do make a point about the shield stacking. Would have to rely on vampiric drain and a high health pool to stay alive. Also mist form is great because it will help proc the AoEs at 30% of the damage cost. Do you think between vamp drain and Surge's crit proc I would have enough heals? If not, what's a good alternative for magsorc?

Light armor is not possible with this build. Or any tank build in Cyro. I am using magsorc for the lightning synergies. It may not be BiS but it's an interesting disruption build concept.

New skill lineup...

FRONT BAR
    1 Boundless Storm
    2 Power Surge
    3 Streak
    4 Dark Deal/Bound Aegis
    R Invigorating Drain
    F Spell Wall

BACK BAR
    1 Lightning Flood
    2 Wall of Elements
    3 Mage's Fury
    4 Inner Light
    R Baleful Mist
    F Eye of the Storm
    Edited by Datolite on February 27, 2018 4:29PM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One idea could be to try building around ulti recov and high uptime on resto or snb ulti (resto probably better for the heals) - using shields only when the ulti isn't up.. But that kind of departs quite a bit from your tesla idea..

Don't really know how effective that would be either.

Other ideas I've had but never tried (never quite got that last bit of gear - and hate farming) is a health-regen-based build. Sorcs have passives that can give a significant health recov buff - paired with the right race, troll-king, maybe permafrost, surge for passive heals etc... But then I know there have been a fair few health recov nerfs lately, so not sure how well that would work either.

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Toast_STS
    Toast_STS
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azurya wrote: »

Altmer Magsorc
    2x Swarm Mother
    5x Storm Knight's heavy

tanks work pretty well in PvP. Just stand still in the front and let the pugs pile up and then when you got enough the bomb blades come in and do their thing. It only work on pugs but that's mostly what zergs are.
    VR14 DK Leaps-in-keeps