The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

I don't know what to do. I can't get a "Templar" right...

Maulclaw
Maulclaw
✭✭✭
I have played many MMOs up to this point, and each one of them dealt with the whole "build" mechanics differently. Guild Wars 2 user-friendly with its system up until these past few years where everything is either meta or completely useless. On the other hand, I am having real... and I mean huge issues with customizing my character's skills and overall build... even when said character isn't even level 30 yet. I'm playing as a Nord Templar, and I have the Werewolf as my Ultimate.

Nothing that I try to do works, not even following the "guide" that the game provides. I'm not comfortable with the way these skills are placed and that strips away all the fun. I don't know if I should focus on stamina or magicka... I just don't know what to do anymore. I've sunk all of the gold I had saved up until this point in resetting my skills over and over again. I just want to set foot on a solid ground and have fun, but that doesn't seem likely anymore and I'm just getting tired at this point. Getting gear is also a nightmare as I understand nothing about crafting nor have the resources for it.

So yeah... now I'm broke, running around with bad gear and a faulty "build" that gets me killed even by normal mobs. I can't just find that one class that I like. They all feel out of place and incredibly overwhelming.
Edited by Maulclaw on February 25, 2018 4:58PM
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    go magicka for easy mode and just spam puncturing sweeps for dmg and heal and fill other slot swith something you like
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well untill you figure more stuff out
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely go magicka...will make a world of difference or at least go Zerg in cyrodil till you have vigor
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Maulclaw
    Maulclaw
    ✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    Definitely go magicka...will make a world of difference or at least go Zerg in cyrodil till you have vigor

I only understood half that sentence.
  • Kraynic
    Kraynic
    ✭✭
    I don't know what you are looking at in the way of builds, but you should avoid looking at end-game builds when you are leveling up as a new player. I say this because those builds are all intended for people that already know the game/class well, are hitting hard content with an organized group, and have access to gear that you won't even see for some time. There are also some skill morphs that won't be recommended at max level that sure make things nicer when leveling.

You need to decide between magicka and stamina. If you go stamina, you will be doing damage mostly using weapon abilities. Your class skills will be more for utility/survival, and offense will be from weapon, guild, and (eventually) alliance war skills. If you go magicka, you will likely never slot a stamina based skill. You will be using a mixture of class, guild, and alliance war skills for damage, healing, or utility. Stamina will be used for dodge, break free, and the occasional block.

No matter which way you go you will be a primarily melee fighter, because it is hard to keep multiple things at range. There are a few things that come to mind that may help you.

1) Look at your skills and make sure you are using any AoE abilities that match the damage resource (magicka/stamina) that you are using. Make sure those get placed at the beginning of a fight, and that you stand in the AoE so that your enemies take damage just for the privilege of being close enough to fight you. If you are going stamina, that would be skills like volley (and morphs), caltrops from the alliance war if you have it, blade cloak from dual wield that moves with you, and/or an ultimate like nova. If you are going magicka, you would be placing wall of elements, spear shards, cleansing ritual if morphed to ritual of retribution, and/or nova.

2) When you are new to the game, survival is harder due to not being as sure of when you need to block or dodge an attack. I have watched people I have been helping with gear/skills die to attacks that I see coming and would have reacted to before taking the full hit. This isn't anything unusual or bad, just a part of being new to the game. Be sure you are watching for the heavier attacks, and don't let them connect. Your survivability will increase in spite of what quality of gear you are wearing. You might also check out some videos on animation cancelling. Cancelling an animation with a dodge or block can be really handy when solo.

3) Make sure you are using (to the best of your ability) gear and food that is as close to your level as possible. The way battle scaling works, your gear gets worse and worse the farther behind your character's level it is. The same goes for food. There are some foods that scale with your level, and those seem to me to be the best since you don't have to worry about them diminishing in effect as you level up. I made a post not too long ago about battle scaling with some screenshots to see the effect it has on gear as you level. You can find that post here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4851878/#Comment_4851878.

If you are on PC/NA or PC/EU, I could help you get caught up on the gear/food front.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »

I only understood half that sentence.

He's telling you to go magicka, but if you want to go stamina, then you need to go to Cyrodiil and up your AP so you can unlock the Vigor skill, which is what stamina users use.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like how "Templar" is in quotes. Its as though the class is questionable.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like how "Templar" is in quotes. Its as though the class is questionable.

Yeah, reminds me of...
    unnecessary-quotation-marks-4.jpg
    Edited by DoctorESO on February 25, 2018 6:27PM
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are essentially two suggestions here. When they say you should build magic or stamina they are saying put points in that direction and try to wear gear that fits. My recommendation is to wear 5 pieces of gear of the armor type you think you would like to wear. I recommend you also wear 1 each of the other types so you can build them while leveling up (You might change your mind, and also there is an undaunted passive later on that you may want to take advantage of). The choice of building magic or stamina will determine the kinds of class morphs you will use. For instance if you are playing a Stamina Templar you want Biting Jabs, Binding Javelin, and Power of the Light. You'll also be putting more weapon skills on your bar most likely (2H, DW, 1H or Bow). A lot of these things are playstyle choices which are not so easy to answer but I or someone else could walk you through them.

The thing you need to realize as well is that Magic and Stamina characters tend to have a skill or two in their bars which operate as a 'Dump' of the resource they aren't built for. In the case of magic this usually means for dodge roll and blocking. In the case of Stamina this means skills like Rune Focus, Blazing Shield, and Cleansing Ritual all of which have use to you as a stamina character potentially. As you level up with a new character you might have to slot skills which aren't really geared for the build you have in mind but this is fine. At lower levels the game is more forgiving for bad slotted skills. Templar has it easier at the low levels than Sorcerer for instance. A Stamina Sorcerer has to wait until 42 to get Bound Armor which is probably the only 'active' skill in that line a Stamina Sorcerer would want to use. Leveling up most stamina sorcerers run around with Clanfear just to level the skill (Sometimes slot Atronach). The point I'm making is that you might have some dead skills on your bar that you occasionally dump magic into as a stamina. Hope these general strategies help you. Also while turning in quests I recommend you have 1 weapon skill on your bar along with 1 each of the 3 main class trees on your bar. This helps in leveling those skill lines.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • ascan7
    ascan7
    ✭✭✭
    1) Never respec. Just a waste of gold at your level. Simple collect skyshards, do quest and take every active skills of your class and your weapon to level them
    2) if in doubt choose magicka. Way easier to play at beginner level
    3) collect mats and decon everyting to level up professions.

if you are really that desperate, just start over. 30 levels isn't too much
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play a magicka templar and never die in overland content. Use Breath of Life, Puncturing Sweeps, Blazing Spears, and a couple of destro staff skills (blockade and crushing shock are good).

If you're going to be a magplar, you will need to get rid of werewolf. Vampire is the better way to go or stay 'clean'.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    since you played guild wars 2 might be a idea to find a delve small mob and swap a skill out and find what suits trial and error.

if you still struggle i come and help you , my user name the same , sometimes you need to swap a skill or two about , i used to struggle in all mmos , but found patience is your friend and haveing good friends helps wads .

if you have good armour weapons makes a differnce , i run every night dungeons for the armour/weapons sets i need and ask guildes if they want to come even lvl 10 , think iam just cp180 templar/healer .

wish you well
  • Sawzallz
    Sawzallz
    ✭✭✭
    I Made my tempar stamina I do 10k on a crit with a 40% crit chance but my healing is terrible I can get killed pretty fast out numbered I'm cp 300 any tips
    I have everything at 50 except the guilds
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sawzallz wrote: »
    I Made my tempar stamina I do 10k on a crit with a 40% crit chance but my healing is terrible I can get killed pretty fast out numbered I'm cp 300 any tips
    I have everything at 50 except the guilds

If you're having problems dying solo with that build consider using Vigor (From Alliance War) or Rally (From 2H). Blazing Shield isn't too bad in overland content either as it preempts big hits from large groups and reflects damage back. You don't want to be spamming however. Repentance will help you as long as no other Templars run along and Repentance the ground you're on (at least in recovering stamina).
    <And plenty more>
  • Meryyl
    Meryyl
    ✭✭✭
    Police Detective: “Why did you shoot him, Marlowe?”
    Phillip Marlowe: “There was a lot of killing going on and I wasn’t getting my fair share.”
  • knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    are you pc eu if you are add me and i help you , there are dottz gaming alhast to name a few that have builds what skils you need armour weapons etc. all said and done sometimes its just trial and error
  • Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not comfortable with the way these skills are placed and that strips away all the fun. I don't know if I should focus on stamina or magicka. Getting gear is also a nightmare as I understand nothing about crafting nor have the resources for it.

So yeah... now I'm broke, running around with bad gear and a faulty "build" that gets me killed even by normal mobs. I can't just find that one class that I like. They all feel out of place and incredibly overwhelming.

@TheRandomWolf, I have played a Templar DPS, mostly stamina, continuously since prelaunch four years ago. Started as an Imperial, then switched the same character to Redguard when I decided to stick with a stamina build. I play on PC, the North American server, and am in the eastern time zone of the US. If you play on PC/NA, look for me in game and I will gladly help you.

Some general tips:
    1. Most, but not all class skills cost magicka. Most weapons skills cost stamina. So fundamentally what is meant by a magicka build or a stamina build is this: Does your playstyle lean more killing enemies with spells or weapons? Again, this is in general. There are some class skills that use stamina usually through morphing the base skill to a stamina one. So, for example, the Templar skill, Puncturing Strikes, has a morph for magicka builds and one for stamina builds. Level the morph that matches your playstyle.
    2. You have a character attribute sheet on which you can enter the attribute points you gain (3 skyshards = 1 attribute point, for example). While leveling, it does not hurt to put some points in all three attributes: magicka, health and stamina. But as you get close to level 50 and then above level 50, put about 90% to 100% of your attribute points into either stamina or magicka. Most players that have leveled far enough to have the maximum 64 attribute points put them all into magicka or stamina.
    3. Traits and enchantment glyphs on gear and weapons, as well as food, drinks, potions, and mundus stones can all buff your choice of stamina, magicka and health stat numbers, or the stat regeneration. Some skills return one of the stats, usually health. Heavy and light attacks also help regenerate your stats. Typically, players will put their 64 points into their main stat and put enchants on their armor and jewelry to increase that stat or to buff the other two stats. There is no absolute right or wrong way to mix the things that buff your stats. Most players try to find some balance that makes them strong in their chosen playstyle while preventing them from being too squishy.
    4. When you are selecting skills to level, look at the magicka or stamina cost. That's how you know what skills might fit your playstyle. For example, the Mages Guild skills tree is all magicka based. The Fighters Guild skills tree is all stamina based.
    5. Ideally, choose a race for your character that fits your playstyle. Some races have passive bonuses that are more suited to a magicka build and some for a stamina build. For example, the Breton has strong magicka oriented passives, and the Redguard has strong stamina oriented passives. You can use any race with any type of character, but your character will be stronger if you choose a race that fits your playstyle. Go here to compare the different races: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Races
    6. Along with your playstyle preference, try to decide the role you most enjoy playing: DPS (damage dealer), healer or tank. For example, a Templar healer would be best as a magicka-based character. A tank should have high health. A DPS can be either magicka or stamina, but tries to maximize things like spell or weapon damage, critical strike damage, and get the highest possible number for their main stat.

• VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    Magica Templars are more fun imo but I cannot get past urge to be a holy warrior paladin type character.

Would say go magica and at least you can go full healer if you want to
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    VonNelson wrote: »
    Magica Templars are more fun imo but I cannot get past urge to be a holy warrior paladin type character.

Would say go magica and at least you can go full healer if you want to

Go Dunmer. They'll take away the holy image.
    [PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Nord Templar. Go magicka.

I run 5 Seducer, 5 Spell Power Cure and 1 Kena.
    Max Magicka Mundus Stone. All attribute points in magic.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart