The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best AOE skills for PvP?

teladoy
teladoy
✭✭✭✭✭
What are considered the best aoes for pvp? I'm not talking only about damage, please consider effectiveness and other things. Manly I would say for BGs and cirodill.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now you've got me wondering, is the destro ultimate as effective in Battelgrounds? Or would be be better to choose a more single-target ultimate for a MagSorc?
    Edited by VaranisArano on February 25, 2018 1:36PM
  • TarrNokk
    TarrNokk
    ✭✭✭✭
    He did not ask for ultimate.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One if the more fun aoes is volcanic rune. It's not bis for anything but it's pretty fun to watch a few people fun into a breech, door way, or narrow and get blown into the air. It's absolutely useless in absolute open field but hell all aoe is.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TarrNokk wrote: »
    He did not ask for ultimate.

The destro ultimate IS an AOE.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the fight ,in a controlled fight lighting wall of elements is easily top tier, especially if you run multiple aoes.
  • TheFamousMockingbird
    Most any ground based AoE skills have limited uses in highly mobile PvP combat. They are great in chokepoints or static flag defenses. Caltrops and WoE are good there. Also don’t overlook the improved synergies for AoE like Sorc lightning splash. As for mobile AoE I think DW whirlwind is probably tops. NB sap essence and DK deep breath also not too shabby. Of course we all hate being hit with subterranean assault. A combo I have tried is the AoE morph of Templar solar flare, solar barrage, which is an AoE and gives you 3 empower tics. Coupled with spin to win whirlwind. Very underrated. Many don’t like the solar barrage because of the cast time but once it’s running you are a death machine.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dawnbreaker.
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extended ritual
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Proxy x24 people
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll second Dawnbreaker.

I think Sap Essence is too weak to accomplish much of anything outside of a bomb build (I mean, it might --- sometimes). Steel Tornado, on the other hand, scales up to the damage of a single-target attack, and gets another 10% from DW passives during execute. It's a viable skill to finish off NBs that are trying to cloak away.

Concealed Daggers is an interesting one to attack players trying to blend into a crowd. It hits up to 3 people.

Also from the DW line, Blade Cloak is a great offensive / defensive skill. The nice thing about this type of skill is that it's pre-cast, as you approach a fight, so the cost of opportunity during the fight is zero. It's good added pressure and a counter to enemy AOEs.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    sub assault.

basically an aoe wrecking blow that actually hits harder than a wrecking blow.

undodgeable-unblockable with an insanely big hitbox too.

And no I don't care about nerfing stamdens anymore, Im just telling what it is.

There is not a single thing that scares me more then a wild sub assault train appearing out of nowhere.

not even proxy det.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 26, 2018 4:34PM
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sub assault.

basically an aoe wrecking blow that actually hits harder than a wrecking blow.

And no I don't care about nerfing stamdens anymore, Im just telling what it is.

There is not a single thing that scares me more then a wild sub assault train appearing out of nowhere.

not even proxy det.

Played against 3 stam wardens in a BG match. There was no escaping the 3 sub assaults and 2 dawnbreaker. Instantly melted everything.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    One if the more fun aoes is volcanic rune. It's not bis for anything but it's pretty fun to watch a few people fun into a breech, door way, or narrow and get blown into the air. It's absolutely useless in absolute open field but hell all aoe is.

I love that combo. As they are eating the rune, meteor is coming at them.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • SosRuvaak
    SosRuvaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    I'll second Dawnbreaker.

I think Sap Essence is too weak to accomplish much of anything outside of a bomb build (I mean, it might --- sometimes). Steel Tornado, on the other hand, scales up to the damage of a single-target attack, and gets another 10% from DW passives during execute. It's a viable skill to finish off NBs that are trying to cloak away.

Concealed Daggers is an interesting one to attack players trying to blend into a crowd. It hits up to 3 people.

Also from the DW line, Blade Cloak is a great offensive / defensive skill. The nice thing about this type of skill is that it's pre-cast, as you approach a fight, so the cost of opportunity during the fight is zero. It's good added pressure and a counter to enemy AOEs.

all of those abilities are great
    but personally as a nightblade, my dw bar has room for 2 weapon abilities, and i have chosen bouncing daggers and steel tornado. bouncing daggers is great in literally every situation. it gives you a buff, does a nice amount of damage for its cost, and has the ability to affect 3 people at once. steel tornado is just great at any point someone gets low, as an execute ability i think it is too useful to swap. That blade cloak is soo *** useful though, when in zerg pvp that blade cloak ability comes really handy. still though, just being able to spam bouncing daggers to get someone low enough to finish with steel tornado, is often enough.
    For the Pact!
    ~Sump Scales~
    Lusty Argonian Nightblade
    ~Baron Humbert von Gikkingen~
    Smokes-His-Greens
    ~Ruvaak~
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    sub assault vs dawnbreaker...

Why not both?
  • del9
    del9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blade Cloak in Dual WieldOP in group play - 25% damage mit to all AOE including siege. Plus passive AOE damage

Caltrops - large area with strong snare

for NBs in BGs - mass hysteria - aoe fear plus snare and minor main

sub assault + DB = bis burst aoe
    PCNA

• Sublime
    Sublime
    ✭✭✭✭