The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Necroed Threads

SilverIce58
SilverIce58
✭✭✭✭✭
Why do people necro threads? Like I understand you put a comment on a thread that's maybe 3 months (at max) old, but why do people comment on threads that are 6 months to several years old? Are they just so bored that they go diving through the forums? I'm genuinely curious about this.
PC - NA
CP 1125
Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you necro a thread, people will come and tell you you're bad for doing it and should just create a new topic. If you create a new topic that's already been covered, people will come and tell you to use the search function to find an old thread covering the topic. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes wonder if they Google an issue then just post in the thread that pops up without looking at the date.

I've done a 3 month necro before by mistake on mobile as I didn't see it was in a different sections and thought it was "recent discussions" being displayed.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do it so that I can post this:

zKBtpnR.png
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for the irony i'll be back in a year
    Self-proclaimed Vampire Lord, or in this case, Blood Sion. º,...,º
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder if they Google an issue then just post in the thread that pops up without looking at the date.

I've done a 3 month necro before by mistake on mobile as I didn't see it was in a different sections and thought it was "recent discussions" being displayed.

Yeah, that's happened to me as well. Specifically the Google thing. I'll be looking at an error code or some other weirdness, read a thread, start to go, "wait, that's not true anymore," and then notice that it's from 2014, and @UrQuan is in the thread.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

rpzMGIp.gif

I'll be waiting.
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much this.

Sometimes you're just frustrated with a problem and you want to comment on it so someone will see it hoping for a solution and in the frustration you wont look at the date because you'll just tunnel on the issue rather than the date which at the time will seemingly be semantics in the sense that the date doesnt really matter that much to the person at the time just the fact that the issue was raised already.

I know because ive done that accidentally one or two times (once on this forum and on other forums).
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I blame google. I've done that before. If I'm looking for something, I'll search google first. What I hate is when it doesn't put you on the first page of the post, you look at the date for the page you're on and you see something a few months old...on page 34. You go to reply and BAM!!! Necro post.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that's happened to me as well. Specifically the Google thing. I'll be looking at an error code or some other weirdness, read a thread, start to go, "wait, that's not true anymore," and then notice that it's from 2014, and @UrQuan is in the thread.

Totally screenshotted that and sent it to UrQuan @starkerealm lol

I agree with the others tho. Googling or just focusing too much on the issue so you don't bother looking at a date.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I miss @UrQuan

Ever since some ... person... shut down "thread for PC users" I'm missing a lot of peeps
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A wild UrQuan appears!
    latest?cb=20080605130653

Yeah, I haven't really forumed since I had to go on disability in 2016 & couldn't really use a computer (I'm much better now, but work's way too busy for me to be on the forums while at work, and that was always the majority of my time hanging out on the forums), so any thread that I posted in are definitely necros.

Now it's time to vanish again...
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is still a valid question which has not been answered or a relevant post of an on going issue, does it matter it was Necro? Part a of a point being made, may be to show how long it's been going on.

Is there a official set expiration date which a thread is not to be posted to? If so, why are they not locked for further posting. If it is not locked and can be found, does that make it fair game to post on.

Now I do agree that if the issue no longer applies, leave it buried.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to start a new thread and link the old threads I found for reference.

However, if the thread is on one of the monthly dead horse topics around here, I confess to getting deja vu whichever way because its either a dead thread springing back to the front of my discussions or I'm like "didnt I read that exactly thing a month ago? Oh, okay, that was a different thtead but same idea"
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Google is good at showing old posts
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People complain when you make a post about a topic that has been discussed before people complain when you search a topic then ask something in that thread

You can't win on the forums
  • Niobium
    Niobium
    ✭✭✭✭

I've searched and found threads that resolve my issue. I find that when I go to reply the thread has already been locked and the issue it resolved was actually posted years ago. Sometimes necro's are still relevant and giving a nod that X issue is still current and the fix still works is good. Not necessarily for ESO, but generally speaking.

It can definitely happen that threads are necro'd for good reasons and sometimes even unknowingly.

Edited: To check OP date and make sure I wasn't replying to a necro thread. You just never know how sneaky those *** can be!
    Edited by Niobium on February 22, 2018 9:58AM
  • lardvader
    lardvader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just waiting for this thread to die so I can necro it - I'll yell you why then ;)
    CP 1200+ PC EU EP
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »

A wild UrQuan appears!
    latest?cb=20080605130653

Yeah, I haven't really forumed since I had to go on disability in 2016 & couldn't really use a computer (I'm much better now, but work's way too busy for me to be on the forums while at work, and that was always the majority of my time hanging out on the forums), so any thread that I posted in are definitely necros.

Now it's time to vanish again...

Nuuu... he's escaped again. :(
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you necro a thread, people will come and tell you you're bad for doing it and should just create a new topic...
    ...and sometimes, those people are from ZOS and will lock the old thread, settling the matter by fiat.

Personally I think sometimes it would be better to necro a thread, give new people the chance to look at all the old postings, so they don't repeat the same old arguments over and over and over again.

Of course, the important question is if that thread id still relevant.

I mean, the game has changed a lot since who-knows-when... threads lamenting how stick and skirt dominates PvP as it once upon a time did... would not really have much relevance now, right? Or threads asking for barbershop, discussion how lore-conforming race changes might be or whatnot... thuse had best stay buried and forgotten.

And noone really needs the hundreth "can we have flying dragon mounts" or "let us have -everything- account wide" or "dwemer PC race would be cool..." idi... uhm... mental malfunction. Especially not when someone "bumps" the thread, as in, just posting something without any new information value, just to drag the equine corpse of the discussion back for another beating...

On the other hand, more general threads dealing with basic game questions... stuff about the lore that might interest new people as well, or suggestions for guilds or other game systems that have not been considered by the powers that be yet... for those, it would be nifty to not start a new thread, but have the old thoughts revieable for new readers as well. (though I suppose you can always link to the old thread when starting a new one)

But eh. Not like its any kind of big deal, right?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you necro a thread, people will come and tell you you're bad for doing it and should just create a new topic...
    ...and sometimes, those people are from ZOS and will lock the old thread, settling the matter by fiat.

Personally I think sometimes it would be better to necro a thread, give new people the chance to look at all the old postings, so they don't repeat the same old arguments over and over and over again.

Of course, the important question is if that thread id still relevant.

I mean, the game has changed a lot since who-knows-when... threads lamenting how stick and skirt dominates PvP as it once upon a time did... would not really have much relevance now, right? Or threads asking for barbershop, discussion how lore-conforming race changes might be or whatnot... thuse had best stay buried and forgotten.

And noone really needs the hundreth "can we have flying dragon mounts" or "let us have -everything- account wide" or "dwemer PC race would be cool..." idi... uhm... mental malfunction. Especially not when someone "bumps" the thread, as in, just posting something without any new information value, just to drag the equine corpse of the discussion back for another beating...

On the other hand, more general threads dealing with basic game questions... stuff about the lore that might interest new people as well, or suggestions for guilds or other game systems that have not been considered by the powers that be yet... for those, it would be nifty to not start a new thread, but have the old thoughts revieable for new readers as well. (though I suppose you can always link to the old thread when starting a new one)

But eh. Not like its any kind of big deal, right?

In my experience, most of the time, a necroed thread will get locked because the information within is sufficiently out of date.

For example, more than once, I've been attacked in a thread based on information from two years ago that was true when I made the original post, but is no longer how the game functions. Werewolves and their Stam Regen buff is a frequent example.

When old threads are still relevant, they usually survive unmolested. Or, sometimes survive, anyway.
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna necro this thread in 6 months.

But hopefully by then, i've stopped playing this game.
    Edited by Yolokin_Swagonborn on February 23, 2018 4:55AM
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    ... so any thread that I posted in are definitely necros.

hmm...
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If i...
    * started 3 months ago, should i never comment or start a thread on any topic that has ever been covered prior to me starting?
    * resurrect an old thread, people complain.
    * start a new thread on an old topic, people complain.

Conclusion: People like to complain, i ignore them. If someone doesnt want to read that thread on that topic that has come up a dozen times in the last 4 years, then they should be an intelligent person and dont click on it. If they open it just to complain about the thread, then they really should get a life... or go back to posting their nonsense drama on facebook, where it belongs.
    Edited by Anotherone773 on February 23, 2018 5:36AM
  • Nyghthowler
    Nyghthowler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When old threads are still relevant, they usually survive unmolested. Or, sometimes survive, anyway.

LOL.Thread molesting. Show me on the dolly where the bad forum user touched you...

Edited by Nyghthowler on February 23, 2018 6:49AM
    I'm not prejudiced; I hate everyone equally !
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Grimm13 wrote: »
    If it is still a valid question which has not been answered or a relevant post of an on going issue, does it matter it was Necro? Part a of a point being made, may be to show how long it's been going on.

Is there a official set expiration date which a thread is not to be posted to? If so, why are they not locked for further posting. If it is not locked and can be found, does that make it fair game to post on.

Now I do agree that if the issue no longer applies, leave it buried.

I asked a forum moderator this question when I got warned for it when I first started posting. He told me anything that doesn’t have a reply in a week is considered a necro. So there you go.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If i...
    * started 3 months ago, should i never comment or start a thread on any topic that has ever been covered prior to me starting?

Conclusion: People like to complain, i ignore them. If someone doesnt want to read that thread on that topic that has come up a dozen times in the last 4 years, then they should be an intelligent person and dont click on it. If they open it just to complain about the thread, then they really should get a life... or go back to posting their nonsense drama on facebook, where it belongs.
    If it's a thread about Auction Houses you should ALWAYS make a new thread! It's one of the rare time I can get away with my horse beating gif.

On a serious note it depends if you have anything new to say on the topic. That's not to say you shouldn't have a voice or feel you can't create new discussions on old issues, but if the discussion on your specific thought has already played out then you're going to see the same thing again.

Using the AH example, if a thread is new and actually offers something to talk about the past 100+ haven't I will engage and debate/talk about it. If the thread is just "This game should have a AH like other games, I don't like this system" then the OP could easily go look up every answer to that in multiple threads.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If i...

If it's a thread about Auction Houses you should ALWAYS make a new thread! It's one of the rare time I can get away with my horse beating gif.

On a serious note it depends if you have anything new to say on the topic. That's not to say you shouldn't have a voice or feel you can't create new discussions on old issues, but if the discussion on your specific thought has already played out then you're going to see the same thing again.

Using the AH example, if a thread is new and actually offers something to talk about the past 100+ haven't I will engage and debate/talk about it. If the thread is just "This game should have a AH like other games, I don't like this system" then the OP could easily go look up every answer to that in multiple threads.

Also, nerf sorcerer and please give us necromancer class ;)

Those topics never get old.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a grey area kinda thing.
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    It's a grey area kinda thing.

Not really. The mods are pretty clear about it.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll happily participate in the necro-ing of thoughtful threads, threads that have a congenial give-and-take, and threads that support a positive community.

Those sorts should never die .... for long
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis