The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Destruction staff improvements

Anhedonie
Anhedonie
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno , @ZOS_JessicaFolsom , @ZOS_Wrobel

Alright, so you guys want us to do heavy attacks as part of normal rotation, correct? In that case I would like to present you a couple of suggestions to make heavy attacks fun and engaging in PvE. Also, this suggestions only for destruction staff.

1.Heavy attacks.
Lightning Staff - creates a lightning chain that zaps nearby enemies. Affects all enemies in 8 meters around the caster.
Flame Staff - creates a cone of fire affecting all enemies in 6 meters. Charge time - 6 seconds. (just take DK's Engulfing Flames and make animation last 10 seconds).
Ice Staff - creates a beam of ice. Single target only. 28 meters range. Charge time 6 seconds. Pretty much current lightning staff attack, but longer and with icy visuals.

2. Tri-Focus.
Lightning Staff - each affected enemy restores 25 magicka to caster. Only up to 6 targets can restore magicka.
Flame Staff - Damage of heavy attack increased by 3% each second during channeling up to 24%. Damage bonus is lost after heavy attack is complete.
Ice Staff - slows down the target by 5% each 2 seconds. Stacks up to 3 times. Slow effect persists for 5 seconds after heavy attack is complete. Can be refreshed.

3.Ancient Knowledge.
Ice Staff - remove taunt.
Keep magicka for blocking gimmick. But add something like " gives 50 spell and physical resistance to caster for each tick of heavy attack. Maximum bonus - 500 spell and physical resistance."

Edited by Anhedonie on February 21, 2018 1:31PM
Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lol
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can't speak for others, but I am already annoyed with how long the charge times are now. Increasing them that much would make me never heavy attack... Not to mention how difficult it would be to time the attack during the 5 second off balance window.

Also, part of the reason why you run a destro staff is to be ranged. Limiting the effective range to 6 m on the flame staff and 8 m on the shock staff would also not be desired for most players.

I wouldn't complain about having extra effects, but not at the cost of longer charge times and shorter range.

Playing since beta...
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anhedonie wrote: »

Alright, so you guys want us to do heavy attacks as part of normal rotation, correct? In that case I would like to present you a couple of suggestions to make heavy attacks fun and engaging in PvE. Also, this suggestions only for destruction staff.

1.Heavy attacks.
    Lightning Staff - creates a lightning chain that zaps nearby enemies. Affects all enemies in 8 meters around the caster.
    Flame Staff - creates a cone of fire affecting all enemies in 6 meters. Charge time - 6 seconds. (just take DK's Engulfing Flames and make animation last 10 seconds).
    Ice Staff - creates a beam of ice. Single target only. 28 meters range. Charge time 6 seconds. Pretty much current lightning staff attack, but longer and with icy visuals.

Lightning staff already kinda works like that, with the passives. It hits up to 3 enemies.

Flame staff having an AOE effect makes no sense, as it's the staff type designed to boost single target damage.

Frost staff creating a beam would make it harder to use for tanking than it is now, as it'd be interruptible. I'd rather they just lower the cast time on frost heavy to the same as 1h/shield heavy.
    2. Tri-Focus.
    Lightning Staff - each affected enemy restores 25 magicka to caster. Only up to 6 targets can restore magicka.
    Flame Staff - Damage of heavy attack increased by 3% each second during channeling up to 24%. Damage bonus is lost after heavy attack is complete.
    Ice Staff - slows down the target by 5% each 2 seconds. Stacks up to 3 times. Slow effect persists for 5 seconds after heavy attack is complete. Can be refreshed.

Heavy attacks already restore magicka, so adding even more to the already-overused lightning staff is just going to make it more meta and put the others further behind.

Again, channeling is bad, for dps and for tanks alike. Do not like the idea of a heavy atatck taking 6 seconds or being channeled, you'd just be killing heavies for staves entirely.

Ice staff already has an inherent snare built in with the chill effect and through all ice abilities. the addition of an even heavier snare is not really necessary, and probably not wanted by anyone in pvp since they're already complaining daily about elder snares online.
    3.Ancient Knowledge.
    Keep magicka for blocking gimmick. But add something like " gives 50 spell and physical resistance to caster for each tick of heavy attack. Maximum bonus - 500 spell and physical resistance."

Again, channeled beams for tanks are bad, and removing the taunt is a bad idea right now (if anything 1h/shield should also taunt on heavy attacks, it's a nice mechanic to benefit tanks). I'm not against something like destructive clench taunting for ice staves, but the heavy should stay. Maybe make it more clear to new players that ice staves are for tanking and not damage.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ancient knowledge? No thanks. I’ll keep the 8% single target damage buff.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fun is subjective.

Looking at your suggestions don't look fun.

I can't imagine in any situation why you'd lower the range of a ranged weapon to melee range nor increase the channel time of the Destruction staff, which has one of the slowest, if not the slowest, heavy attack animation in the game already.
    Argonian forever
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The duration of staff heavy attacks needs to be reduced a bit, maybe to 1.8 seconds down from 2.2 seconds. And I think this applies to all heavy attacks, they do not restore ressources when your opponent blocks them. This isn't much of an issue for melee heavies, because they are quick and not quite as obvious. But staff heavy attacks are slow and very obvious, thus get blocked often and give you nothing for their long cast time. This could also apply to pve, as there are certain mobs and bosses that will start blocking once you channel a heavy attack.

Heavy attacks need to be made more rewarding/reliable, especially after all these sustain nerfs.
    Edited by Dracane on February 21, 2018 3:38PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anhedonie wrote: »

1.Heavy attacks.
    • Lightning staff: So, splash damage? (See Tri-Focus passive...)
    • Flame - so you want the current single target bonus + lightning's AoE bonus? How about 'no.'
    • Ice staff - you won't have time in combat to hold HA for 6 seconds. Even if you could, no one would.
    2. Tri-Focus.
    • Lightning - so, Heavy Attacks? (That's what they do now, restore resources.)
    • Flame - 8 seconds for 24% bonus to HA?
      • Quick math: 1 LHA (Long Heavy) for 1.24% damage every 8 seconds, or 4 NHA (normal Heavy) for 4x HA damage...
    • Ice already proc's chilled status effect. Stacking (unless by other players) would have zero effect, because the first would be worn off by the time the seconds HA completed.) Minor Maim >> slowed all day long.
    3.Ancient Knowledge.
    • If you don't want the taunt, remove the skillpoint from the passive.
    • There is only one 'tick' of frost HA, and it already gives you a small shield in the process.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS