The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magic Wardens and Ice Staves

Vaughndaunted
Vaughndaunted
✭✭✭
So I’ve got 3 Wardens and I’d like to use them as intended, but what’s their intentions? They lack DPS and they lack usage of ice staves due to pulling aggro in a pve situation. Do you all think ESO has plans to buff magic Wardens?
PS4/PS5 NA
Master Crafter
End Gamer
9+ years playing ESO
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Their issue is that their ice skills don't scale. They need to give some actual magic scaling to their ice skills. We have been telling them that since the morrowind beta.

If you don't want the taunt don't put a point in the passive that gives it a taunt.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wardens are off heals and off tanks. For dps they run the same as every other mag dps, lightning staff for AOE and inferno for single target. Don't use ice staffs for dps, like every other mag class.

@Narvuntien Winter's Revenge is an AOE dot that scales on mag, like you are asking for.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wardens are off heals and off tanks. For dps they run the same as every other mag dps, lightning staff for AOE and inferno for single target. Don't use ice staffs for dps, like every other mag class.

@Narvuntien Winter's Revenge is an AOE dot that scales on mag, like you are asking for.

Good news one skill, a morph of a skill, in a whole tree has damage scaling.

They are the second best tanks and the second best healers... okay as Stam dps and the worst mag dps.
    Edited by Narvuntien on February 21, 2018 11:27AM
  • Djeriko
    Djeriko
    ✭✭✭
    You can use ice staves with Wardens. I recently had a guildie help me with that and I felt slightly dumb for not thinking of it before. Just ignore the first passive on the destro staff. If you have skill points in it already, you have to respec. When it's not selected you can then use the heavy attack on the ice staff without pulling aggro and be able to get your magic back.
    "When in doubt, kill it with fire."
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »

They are the second best tanks and the second best healers... okay as Stam dps and the worst mag dps.

I don't understand what you are trying to say? Are you upset that a tanking skill line has a skill that mag dps can use? Because that is what the winters embrace skill line is for, tanking.

Your first paragraph comes off as sarcastic but your second one dead on. So I am not sure where you stand on the topic.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My frost Mage is coming along just fine. I’m trying to play mine to their strengths though, and not strict meta.

People would be crying a lot more if they were OP AF PTW class so they made it kind of just OK IMHO.

Not sure what you’re really expecting from the warden, but they’re not terrible by any means.
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    My frost Mage is coming along just fine. I’m trying to play mine to their strengths though, and not strict meta.

People would be crying a lot more if they were OP AF PTW class so they made it kind of just OK IMHO.

Not sure what you’re really expecting from the warden, but they’re not terrible by any means.

my opinion too!
    My warden healer is a dream in healing, and that already before she got decent gear.
    and if possible she can do dmg too
    My warden tank looks fine so far, 3 days old, lvl 41 now, mainly lvl her by dungeonfinder, to get the points needed for doing a full job in tanking, but as said she does her job well, playing one bar S+B and the other Frosty stave, but to early to give a definite roundup
    what definitely sucks is the stamwarden as dmg-dealer, when I have time, I work it over, but in meantime it don´t look much promising
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find Winter's Revenge + Blockade works well enough, abuse the Chill/Frozen debuff and spam Force Pulse destroys hordes of trash mobs quickly.
  • Vaughndaunted
    Vaughndaunted
    ✭✭✭
    I really wish they had a dps vs tank switch for the mag warden. But it might break the game... you lose dps with an ice staff. They should really buff the class skills passives so it matches the DK with a flame staff in comparison. It would be nice to utilize the element intended for the class. But I guess it’s geared to fit pvp as well.
    PS4/PS5 NA
    Master Crafter
    End Gamer
    9+ years playing ESO
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I’ve got 3 Wardens and I’d like to use them as intended, but what’s their intentions? They lack DPS and they lack usage of ice staves due to pulling aggro in a pve situation. Do you all think ESO has plans to buff magic Wardens?

Their intention is to tank. Warden tanking and ice staff tanking were built for each other.

PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

Their intention is to tank. Warden tanking and ice staff tanking were built for each other.

^^This. You may wish ice damage was a thing, but ZOS sees the ice-staff as a support staff, not a DPS staff, which isnt a surprise(cold slows you down and will take a lot longer to kill you than fire or lightning) and as such is more suited to control...not to say you cant use it for DPS(dont take the passive) but that it wont be as effective as fire or lightning....which is the case in the real world too
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wardens are off heals and off tanks...

oMJ28xM_700wa_0.gif
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their issue is that their ice skills don't scale. They need to give some actual magic scaling to their ice skills. We have been telling them that since the morrowind beta.

If you don't want the taunt don't put a point in the passive that gives it a taunt.

There are only 2 true ice bases damage skills for the warden. The ult should naturally scales to max stats and the winter revenge of the AoE states of scales off magicka.
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

for farming i tend to use my magwarden because no other job of mine clears trash mobs quicker. Three quick skills and everything dies.

• M3atwad
    M3atwad
    Ive setup a pretty good dps warden using skoria, winterborn, but have to back bar the ice staff. I think if they were to add a passive to wardens that increased damage to chilled enemies the class could be in a better spot.
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope. What I can see though is that devs will nerf fetcher infection dot.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wardens last passive for Winters embrace increases cold damage %6

Along with the animal companions passive that increases damage %2 for each animal companions skill on your bar.

Sorcs have the same thing though. Maybe if they increased it from %6 to %12 or higher they could compete.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem, atleast that I see, is pvp. Stam and mag both have crazy burst dps in pvp and they have arguably the best selfheals/buffs. Everyone know how hard stam wardens hit, but magwarden is the real sleeper when it comes to crazy burst damage. So I guess what I'm saying is, any buff to warden is gonna meet heavy resistance and alot of rage QQ threads from pvp players
    Edited by Datthaw on February 21, 2018 5:35PM
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    The problem, atleast that I see, is pvp. Stam and mag both have crazy burst dps in pvp and they have arguably the best selfheals/buffs. Everyone know how hard stam wardens hit, but magwarden is the real sleeper when it comes to crazy burst damage. So I guess what I'm saying is, any buff to warden is gonna meet heavy resistance and alot of rage QQ threads from pvp players

i guess it depends what you do. Against single target enemies maybe its not all that great but i lay down the winters revenge, blockade and follow up with fissure and all trash mobs are dead. It kills much faster than my stamblade with whirlwind, uses less resources also.

so in dungeons it would seem a great support job in a way. you keep the aoes down on the boss and kill all the adds with them while buffing and backup healing.

From my experience with mmos, most players see roles as black and white, and roles that are in the grey spectrum tend to confuse people.

I made my third warden the other night. I have a magic warden for dps with restoration and healing spells also leveled. A bosmer bow/bow and not a redguard melee/tank. I just find they are one of the better jobs to adapt to other situations.

I have gone in with my magwarden set as dps and we wipe because of healing issues etc and then i change it up to add the more defense ultimates and a couple skills and we easily clear.

not sure if a lot of the other jobs can do that, but i am not alcast or whatever.