The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Can we change the appearance priority?

Lyserus
Lyserus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Currently it's polymorph>(hats)>costume>outift>gear (the higher ones override the lower ones)
It provides the least possible ways to customize the appearance of your character

If we change it to (hat>) outift>costume>polymorph>gear, it will provide the best customization, since hats and outfits can be "empty" and costume cannot change the skin on polymorph.

Also, can we change the shadowsilk gem (goblin disguise) into polymoroh already? :)

@ZOS_GinaBruno some suggestion here on how to make players happier by allowing more customization :)
  • Lyserus
    Lyserus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nobody? :o
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it would be nice to see skeletons wearing armor, or put a goofy hat on my Xivkyn. I just assume there are some technical difficulties with doing something like this because the frame of some polyorphs might be different than regular players.
    [DC/NA]
  • MinuitPro
    MinuitPro
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should edit tabard in there... I think it's between costume & outfit.

I'm still hoping they add an option to show/hide tabard on body, keeping the nameplate choice... sometimes we like seeing it when grouped up, other times we just want people to see our membership without blocking the appearance.
  • Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, please! I would actually use my polymorph at that point. :)
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lyserus wrote: »

Not a fan of costumes losing priority over outfits.
  • Lyserus
    Lyserus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well you can unequip your outfit anytime you want and wear the full costume you know
    Edited by Lyserus on February 21, 2018 5:09PM
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well you can unequip your outfit anytime you want and wear the full costume you know

not really as I like to use dyed weapons with my costumes. outfit taking priority over costume means I'm stuck with red weapons again
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, you're thinking you can break costumes apart, the way you can swap out pieces of a motif.

No. You can't.

In some cases, sure, there are costumes that are just using repurposed motif art (scarlet judge, almost all of the classic costumes from when the store originally launched.) There are also some costumes that are, very clearly, modular, such as the pirate outfits. However, that's not the same thing as being fully modular, and a lot of costumes would completely fall apart if you tried breaking them into separate pieces this way. For example, the Warden or Naryu costumes are not designed to be broken into pieces, so it's not like you could apply her chitin shoulder over your Wood Elf jack, the assets just aren't designed to do that.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently it's polymorph>(hats)>costume>outift>gear (the higher ones override the lower ones)
    It provides the least possible ways to customize the appearance of your character

If we change it to (hat>) outift>costume>polymorph>gear, it will provide the best customization, since hats and outfits can be "empty" and costume cannot change the skin on polymorph.

Also, can we change the shadowsilk gem (goblin disguise) into polymoroh already? :)

@ZOS_GinaBruno some suggestion here on how to make players happier by allowing more customization :)

I have a better idea.. GOBLIN/REIKLING race! We need some fresh content! Most of the needed animations are already there... just need some underpowered racial passives to make it a thing. PROFIT!
  • Eddyble
    Eddyble
    ✭✭✭✭

Mmmm, I dunno about the suggested order. I imagine as others have said, it could pose technical challenges. BUT, I am for standardizing the order of skins. Especially to finally resolve the long disputed vampire issues. Also, I agree that the Goblin should be a poly. throw us a fricken bone here ZoS. :#
    Eddyb1e - Xbox One - NA
    Eddyble - PC - NA
  • Stickbow
    Stickbow
    ✭✭✭

Zeni specifically said that outfit overrode costume in the ESO live episode covering the Outfit system - and it does on my toons.

So it's polymorph>(hats)>outfit>costume>gear now.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stickbow wrote: »

Zeni specifically said that outfit overrode costume in the ESO live episode covering the Outfit system - and it does on my toons.

So it's polymorph>(hats)>outfit>costume>gear now.

Wrong, costumes override outfits in the current system. I know this because I use both, and costume always gets priority.

Regardless, the proper order should be (hat)>costume>outfit>polymorphs>markings>gear

Polymorphs alter the physics skin of the character, giving toon a different body type and sometimes a new face that people really enjoyed before Hide Helm was broken by the Outfit system.

With polymorph have priority only over bod markings and gear, players could use costumes on the Xivkyn models. Costumes having priority over outfits allows use to use dyed weapons without the full outfit visible while equipped.

In that ideal scenario, I could have my BiS gear, a Xivkyn polymorph, a full body outfit, and a costume equipped, with Hide Helm, and it could display my toon as a Xivkyn with silver swords in Crafty Lerisa's costume w/o the hood.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Polymorphs don't scale, though. To use a poly head on a costume body, the poly head would have to be its own scaling hat. Not only to keep with appearance priority, but to avoid all sorts of clipping issues.

Also, Outfit didn't break anything. Hiding your polymorph helmet is now under Gameplay settings where the original hide helmet was.

The actual priority from top to bottom is:

Outfit weapons
    Polymorph
    Hat
    Costume
    Outfit armor
    Base gear
    signing off