The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can anyone submit screenshots with their bug reports in game?

Lord_Ninka
Lord_Ninka
✭✭✭
Because I sure can't! All my latest bug reports with screenshots attached somehow replaced the screenshots I actually took with screenshots taken right after I clicked "Submit", i.e. it shows the "submitting ticket" box and sometimes a faded bug reporter menu. Just wondering if this is happening to everyone or just me.
  • GiantFruitFly
    GiantFruitFly
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed it as well. The attach screenshots option doesn't even let me select my own screenshots to submit or give me time to get a good camera view of whatever I'm trying to submit before automatically taking its own screenshot. So in the end all I get is a blurred "submitting ticket" box as well, which might as well makes the attach screenshots functionality useless.

Which is aggravating when I'm trying to point out clipping in a certain armor style on male characters. And I'm not sure if what is effectively a text only report of a cosmetic issue will even be looked at.
    Edited by GiantFruitFly on February 20, 2018 3:20AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually attach screenshots to the email they send me thanking me for reporting the problem.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Lord_Ninka and @GiantFruitFly : It happens to everyone. I don't doubt that both of you are familiar with the process of submitting a screenshot. However, I will describe it in detail for the benefit of others who may read this discussion to learn more about it, and answer your questions about what you see, too. So please keep reading.

First, it is important to remember to take a screenshot of the HUD which shows the circumstances under which the bug is visually evident before we access F1 > Customer Support > Feedback or enter the /bug command in the Chat window text entry field.

Of course, every bug isn't shown on the HUD or reported by an error dialog, so it isn't always necessary to attach a screenshot. Nonetheless, a screenshot can show important information. For example, it can show the location of a Lorebook which the character cannot read because the game client doesn't display an Interactive Prompt for it (but be sure to include the name of the Lorebook in the report, regardless).

When I use /bug to access the Feedback feature of Customer Support; write the report; checkmark the "Attach Screenshot" box below the text entry field; and use the Submit button, the following events occur:
    1. The game client notifies the megaserver, which sends a unique ticket number to identify the report (an educated guess; I'm not a ZOS programmer).
    2. If the "Attach Screenshot" box is checked, then the game client attaches the most recent screenshot which has been made and stored in the folder ...\MyDocuments\The Elder Scrolls Online\live\Screenshots . There is no way that I've discovered to initially attach more than one screenshot. *
    3. The game client displays a "thank-you" dialog which ends with the report's unique ticket number.
    4. At that point, I have an opportunity to make a written note (or take a screenshot of it), and after I use the Submit button, the game client sends the report with any attached screenshot to the megaserver.
    5. Afterward, I can find a screenshot without any date or sequence prefix to its file name near the start of the /Screenshots folder. It usually contains a shot of of the "thank-you" dialog with its contents replaced by "Submitting screenshot", but sometimes it contains a shot of the "thank-you" dialog with its text contents instead (including the ticket number). Note: if that file is not renamed or deleted, then it will be overwritten when I submit another bug report.
    As Paul Harvey ended each of his radio newscasts: "So now you know."

One flaw in the design of this process is that we cannot select which screenshot(s) to attach to the report. The feature simply attaches the last .PNG file that it finds in the /Screenshots folder. (They will be very upset if you test this by storing a photo of your upright middle finger, with the other fingers curled, in that location.) *

A second flaw is that the screenshot of the "thank-you" dialog usually does not contain the text which has the ticket number for the report. The inconsistency in the output of the game client in this respect is, of course, evidence of a bug which I reported about three years ago.

A third design flaw is that the "thank-you" acknowledgement does not disclose whether any screenshot was attached, such as the name of the file that it attached (if any). The only way to know that it was attached is on the very, very rare occasion that a Customer Support representative responds to the /bug report and mentions the sceenshot that was attached.
    * I have never made a video and attached its file to a /bug report. However, it might be possible to use a photo editor to combine two or more static screenshots into one file, and store that file as the most recent in the /Screenshots folder. That would fail if there is a limit to the file size which the Feedback feature will accept as an attachment to a bug report.

Edited by Shadowshire on February 20, 2018 7:34PM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @VaranisArano
    I usually attach screenshots to the email they send me thanking me for reporting the problem.
    For what it is worth, the only "thank-you" e-mail that I've received during the past two years (at least) after submitting a bug report is when I have reported an Exploit of the UI by another "player" which is probably a robot. Not that I do that very often.

Edited by Shadowshire on February 20, 2018 7:42PM

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, the only "thank-you" e-mail that I've received during the past two years (at least) after submitting a bug report is when I have reported an Exploit of the UI by another "player" which is probably a robot. Not that I do that very often.

If I want an email, I have to use the Ask For Help option.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I want an email, I have to use the Ask For Help option.
    That's an interesting way to submit a bug report. Thank-you for the tip. :smile:

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just log into the support website, find the ticket, attach screenshot. Sometimes, I even add additional information.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Lord_Ninka
    Lord_Ninka
    ✭✭✭
    I am fully familiar with the process and have successfully attached screenshots many tines before the latest update. I've only gad this issue since dragon bones, on pts and live.

Thanks for your effort @Shadowshire , but this happens even though I do as you say (and as I've always done). In particular I take the screenshot before submitting it (obviously) and don't press any key to take a new screenshot of the ticket being submitted, which should be too late anyway.