The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Could a level 40, zero CP, stamplar solo public dungeon bosses?

Danikat
Danikat
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I have a character I specifically use to play PvE solo. Until recently this hasn't been a problem, I may not win every fight first time but I can do it eventually. I usually can't solo overland bosses but someone else always shows up relatively quickly. If it's another low level player I get a decent fight, if it's a level 50 with CP I'm rushing to get enough damage in to get credit before they kill it, which isn't fun but at least it gets the job done.

Recently (around the time I hit level 40 and shortly before Dragonbones was announced) I noticed I was dying a lot more often. So I re-did my whole character, loosely following various stamplar guides I found online. I'm using dual-wield and bow, 5 pieces Hunding's Rage, 3-4 (depending on which weapon set) Nightmother's Gaze, 4 medium, 2 light and 1 heavy (I'm still levelling the armour skills) and all purple rarity.

One thing I found odd was everything I read said I should aim for 18k base health, up to about 22k with food, but I really struggled to hit that without sacrificing stamina points. I'm using blue level 40 health runes on all my armour (all the guides I found said you'll need 2, maybe 3 and the rest can be stamina) and a ring with a health bonus (again guides said this should be stamina) and I've only got 16,316.

Anyway, the new build is a noticeable improvement over my previous 'whatever drops were the right armour weight and had the highest level/armor rating' jumbled mess. In general I can survive and win a lot more fights, but I'm still having trouble with bosses in public dungeons and unlike overland bosses it can be a very long wait for anyone else to show up because not many people seem to do public dungeons and most the ones who do will rush through for the skyshards/quest and skip the optional bosses. But I'm a completionist, I want to do all the achievements while I'm in the dungeon.

I've been sitting in Bonesnap Ruins for about 30 minutes now, watching Bloodmaw and hoping someone else would show up to fight him, and not seen anyone.

If it's totally impractical to expect to solo public dungeon bosses without CP and I need to come back and do them later I'll do that, frustrating as it is. But if I could make some changes to my character (that's not "reroll as X") and be able to do it that would be preferable.
PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I you throw everything at sustain you might be able to get through the fights, but it would be slow. CP really help with that without sacrificing damage. I can't say if it's impossible (and it most likely isn't), but I don't think it's worth your time right now either. Once you hit CP you'll rush through the first 100 pretty fast and they will help *a lot* with public dungeons and similar content.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    You can but it won't be easy if this is your first character. Also keep in mind that all the build guides you see are written for CP160+, so not all the stats will make sense to a level 40 character since you are on the tail end of level scaling.

I don't have a stamplar so i can't comment on the class/skills but in general, you need a reliable way to heal yourself while doing decent damage. Sounds generic but that is really all you need to solo those public dungeon bosses.
    Put the bow on the back bar and use it to lay down AOE (Endless Hail is great for that) and have any needed buffs on that bar and use dual wield on the front bar, morph Flurry into Bloodthirst to give you a nice heal while you attack.
    Use blue food to buff Stamina and Health. Make sure your gear is near your level.

bye1.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on February 19, 2018 6:45PM
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This one could easy - yep - so far on 2 classes: Magden, Sorc
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    You can but it won't be easy if this is your first character. Also keep in mind that all the build guides you see are written for CP160+, so not all the stats will make sense to a level 40 character since you are on the tail end of level scaling.

I suspected that might be the case. Seems a bit silly to me to label a guide as the low level/newbie version of a build (with an alternate high level version), then require CP160. But a lot of them also assumed you'd have all the skill lines fully levelled (including Fighters/Mages Guild & Undaunted) so I'm not surprised that's what they're doing.

I think I might look at my heal skills again and see if I can use better ones. That's one area where I did follow the guides, but they all seemed to be suggested my least favourite templar heals so maybe I'll just go with what works for me instead.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are in at-level gear, hop into nonvet PvP and get vigor.

That'll make solo PvE way easier, and you'll probably want to get it eventually anyway.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, is this your highest leveled character? I don't think so, since you're a veteran player here. Then why don't you use your CPs, earned by your other characters, with this one? You knew it is possible, didn't you?
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are in at-level gear, hop into nonvet PvP and get vigor.
    That'll make solo PvE way easier, and you'll probably want to get it eventually anyway.
    agree.gif

Both Vigor and Caltrops are very useful in PvE, so even if you don't like PvP, you really should try to get both.
    smile.gif

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, is this your highest leveled character? I don't think so, since you're a veteran player here. Then why don't you use your CPs, earned by your other characters, with this one? You knew it is possible, didn't you?

Nope, this is my highest level character.

There's a few reasons for that:
    • I play pretty erratically - barely logging in some days, or taking breaks for a week or a few weeks for various reasons, usually because too much other stuff is going on in real life. (Sometimes I think I'm on the forum more than I'm in-game because I can log in here when I'm away from home.)
    • It took me a while to decide on a class for this character, so I spent a lot of time levelling her only to delete and restart and then do it again.
    • I've had at least 3 other characters since day 1, now it's up to 6 others (plus a mule) which take up some of my time.
    • I play slowly - I don't do grinding if I can avoid it, I always talk to everyone and read all the dialogue and I spend a lot of time exploring - looking around, taking screenshots, trying to climb the scenery etc.

CP would probably make things easier. But it also seems a bit like the old tactic from pre-One Tamriel where you'd just come back to hard content when you were well above the intended level. Not necessarily a bad strategy, but not as appealing to me as learning to do it without the boosted stats making it easy.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been sitting in Bonesnap Ruins for about 30 minutes now, watching Bloodmaw and hoping someone else would show up to fight him, and not seen anyone.

If it's totally impractical to expect to solo public dungeon bosses without CP and I need to come back and do them later I'll do that, frustrating as it is. But if I could make some changes to my character (that's not "reroll as X") and be able to do it that would be preferable.

Bloodmaw is one of the toughest fights in there.

Just keep in mind there is a big difference between 100 to 150 CP's and 300 CP's and 720 CP's. So, just because you have some Champ Points, does not mean your all of sudden the terror of the land. So, come back later. Or, just come back on those few bosses that are pesky.

Public Dungeons are not supposed to be Solo'd. They are supposed to be done with groups of people, just loose and undefined. The fact that CP boosted characters can solo them is beside the point. Also, it is good that an L40 with no CP can't solo the bosses, they really should not be able to.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kwik1
    Kwik1
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you spend some time in Cyrodil to get Vigor you can solo all public dungeons.

A friend of mine just started playing and we got him Vigor at lvl 15 and I crafted him a full set of Hundings/Nightmothers and he is using whatever jewelry he finds. yes I gave him stamina enchants and weapon enchants for lvl 20 and he is currently doing all the public dungeons (urichs skill finder is awesome btw) to get some quick xp and skill points.

Yes he has died a few times but he has still managed to solo everything including the group bosses.

yes I also gave him the sta/health/sta regen drink as well as weapon buff pots for him to use.

So with good gear although easy to get gear and drink and pots and glyphs with vigor, yes you can rather easily.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't have done a public dungeon solo at level 40 with zero CP, as a new player.

With that said, though, I'm sure there will be some people who will come on here to say it was easy for them. LOL.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it's good to know it's my expectations that are the problem, not my build. I can change those for free. :D

• NoFlash
    NoFlash
    ✭✭✭
    My question is, How does one get 7 stars in ESO forum but have a level 40 zero CP toon? If you switched from EU to NA or vice versa shouldn't you already have this knowledge? Forgive my ignorance.

Anyways as the above said. get to 160 cp and unlock vigor/caltrops. If you dont like pvp and have battlegrounds, i think like 10 matches will unlock vigor. with 0 cp, youll get a boost up until like cp 100 or something then it will slow down a bit.
    Daggerfall Covenant

The Ninja Squirrels
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you run solo on Stamplar I recommend running 2H for the brutality, mitigation and heals, instead of 2W. Gear is not that important because you are leveling but you can craft 5 Hunding's Rage and 3 Night Mother's Gaze or the other way around with training trait. Skill setup would look like that:

Front Bar: Reverse Slice | Brawler | Biting Jabs | Power of the Light | Rally || Flawless Dawnbreaker / Dawnbreaker of Smiting
    Back Bar: Poison Injection | Endless Hail | Acid Spray | Repentance | Restoring Focus || Crescent Sweep or Ballista

Buff with Really and Restoring focus, use repentance on dead bodies as needed to restore stamina

Rotation is quite simple: Acid Spray->Endless Hail->Poison Injection->Bar Swap->Power of the Light->Brawler->Biting Jabs x 2 [repeat and keep those buffs up] Note that you will probably need to weave heavy attacks on your bar to keep stamina up. To do that simply press the attack button [LMB] and when the animation is about half way press the skill button.

Note that 2W builds for classes that don't have that buff as part of their skill kit assume that you will be using crafted brutality potions which is quite wasteful & impractical for leveling and overland.
    Edited by Asardes on February 20, 2018 1:23PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Sawzallz
    Sawzallz
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    If you run solo on Stamplar I recommend running 2H for the brutality, mitigation and heals, instead of 2W. Gear is not that important because you are leveling but you can craft 5 Hunding's Rage and 3 Night Mother's Gaze or the other way around with training trait. Skill setup would look like that:

Front Bar: Reverse Slice | Brawler | Biting Jabs | Power of the Light | Rally || Flawless Dawnbreaker / Dawnbreaker of Smiting
    Back Bar: Poison Injection | Endless Hail | Acid Spray | Repentance | Restoring Focus || Crescent Sweep or Ballista

Buff with Really and Restoring focus, use repentance on dead bodies as needed to restore stamina

Rotation is quite simple: Acid Spray->Endless Hail->Poison Injection->Bar Swap->Power of the Light->Brawler->Biting Jabs x 2 [repeat and keep those buffs up] Note that you will probably need to weave heavy attacks on your bar to keep stamina up. To do that simply press the attack button [LMB] and when the animation is about half way press the skill button.

Note that 2W builds for classes that don't have that buff as part of their skill kit assume that you will be using crafted brutality potions which is quite wasteful & impractical for leveling and overland.
    Where is the heals come from because rally gives 1000 a second and
    I can't get many heals yet I can do 10k a hug and 6k a basic attack
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sawzallz wrote: »
    Asardes wrote: »

Where is the heals come from because rally gives 1000 a second and
    I can't get many heals yet I can do 10k a hug and 6k a basic attack

If you had bothered to read the tool tip, you would have seen that Rally heals when the ability expires, including when it's refreshed.

Rally

Rally.png

Focus your strength to gain Major Brutality, increasing your Weapon Damage by 20% for 33 seconds.
    You heal for X Health every 2 seconds while active, and an additional Y Health when Rally expires.
    The final heal is increased by up to 564%, in proportion to the length of time Rally has been active.
    Also heals you when the effect expires.

Note that both the heal over time and the final heal can crit, and I'm quite capable of fully healing myself with the final heal if Rally has been active for more than about 15s. Even in PvP, where heals are halved by Battle Spirit, I can still heal for more than half of my HP from Rally alone.

Also if you concentrate on how much you can do per attack with a certain ability you miss the big picture. On any build most of your damage comes from DoT (Damage over Time) abilities, with things like Endless Hail, Razor Caltrops, bleeds and other abilities that deal their damage over 8-10s and have to be refreshed deal 60% or more of your total DPS.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 ways:
    1. Normal way. With any build get some healing spell. Not Twin slashes morph but some solid healing. For a DW stamplar it would be Vigor from alliance war. You can get it as soon as L10. Just go to Cyrodiil under 50 lvl campaign, fing a raid and try to be useful. With a healing spell keep it up all the time, use heavy attacks to regain resources
    2. Cheesy way. Get a Brawler (2-H skill). With it just stand and spam HA+Brawler, you will be just invincible
    Rawr