The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

bloodthorn for nb healer

Lynx7386
Lynx7386
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Been looking at options for my sustain set on my nightblade healer and came across bloodthorn- has anyone tried it for this role? Obviously I use spellpower cure for my main set. Bloodthorn returns stamina and magicka on direct damage every 5 seconds (around 700 each), and gives max mag, spell damage, and mag recovery.

Seems like the magicka return would help offset the initial cost of siphoning strikes, and work in conjunction with it so your light attacks and funnel health are returning magicka, health, and stamina all at once. Stamina isn't usually a go to resource for healing but would allow more frequent break free, sprinting, dodging/blocking, etc.
PS4 / NA
M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I recommend Alteration Mastery . It is one of the best sets for sustain .

(2 items) Adds 129 Magicka Recovery

(3 items) Adds 129 Magicka Recovery

(4 items) Adds 833 Spell Critical

(5 items) Reduces the cost of all of your abilities by 6%.

''All abilities'' means block , roll dodge , break free , sprint , ultimates , all skills etc. basically everything you can do and has a cost .
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried seducers, lich, worm cult and a few others including bloodthorn for my healers. I have to say for the style I play I prefer lich for my sustain though.

Haven't tried alteration mastery though but it seems to be a much better tank set than healer?
    Edited by RavenSworn on February 20, 2018 3:10AM
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes Lich will be better if you have a high mag pool .

But I would like to use 2 functional sets together if I am a NB healer , such as SPC + Mending / IA , just do more Light attacks and Heavy attacks while Siphoning Attacks is up .
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would absolutely not recommend bloodthorn. Under most cases, sustain is a non factor. In trails you will be running worm or be effected by it from the other healer likely, and in vet dungeons resource sustain is definitely a non factor if built right.

But if yoy absolutely need the resource help, run lich, honestly its the only option to be frank. As a NB healer in dungeons you have no business not running spc on front bar, only bouncing to back bar for refreshing hots and siphoning attacks. Lich is a proc and swap so you can easily back bar lich resto staff 5pc, front bar lightning spc destro and run any monster set you want. Bloodthorn is a very weak pick.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    I would absolutely not recommend bloodthorn. Under most cases, sustain is a non factor. In trails you will be running worm or be effected by it from the other healer likely, and in vet dungeons resource sustain is definitely a non factor if built right.

But if yoy absolutely need the resource help, run lich, honestly its the only option to be frank. As a NB healer in dungeons you have no business not running spc on front bar, only bouncing to back bar for refreshing hots and siphoning attacks. Lich is a proc and swap so you can easily back bar lich resto staff 5pc, front bar lightning spc destro and run any monster set you want. Bloodthorn is a very weak pick.

Monster sets dont really provide much to healers. I'm using a 5/5/1 setup.
    PS4 / NA
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sustain is a not issue on healer as long as you weave 1-2 heavy attacks from your resto bar per rotation - those also give Major Mending - use Atronach mundus and front bar a support skill - I slot barrier on the front bar ultimate slot for the Magicka Aid passive (+10% recovery at rank II - at Assault Rank 9). That should get you to around 1.5K-1.8K recovery depending on what sets you are using and racial passives. Also make sure you have Elemental Drain on target, which will aid you and your team mates. Optionally keep Siphoning Attacks up as well. As I suggested before for dungeons a dedicated healer is not really needed and you can run SPC + Seducer or even Juliaons and also deliver quite high DPS and merely off-heal.
    Edited by Asardes on February 20, 2018 1:53PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

Monster sets don't provide much to healers compared to SPC and other 5piece buff sets.

They provide a lot more than a kind of underwhelming sustain set like Bloodthorn.

But honestly Worm is where you should be looking if you want a sustain set, as it actually buffs your team and will probably give you a better overall effect than bloodthorn (your uptime as a healer is likely to be poor on bloodthorn).
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Monster sets don't provide much to healers compared to SPC and other 5piece buff sets.

They provide a lot more than a kind of underwhelming sustain set like Bloodthorn.

But honestly Worm is where you should be looking if you want a sustain set, as it actually buffs your team and will probably give you a better overall effect than bloodthorn (your uptime as a healer is likely to be poor on bloodthorn).

Ill look into other sets, but why do you day Bloodthorn uptime will be low? It procs on light attacks, heavy attacks, funnel health, and sap essence.
    PS4 / NA
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Ill look into other sets, but why do you day Bloodthorn uptime will be low? It procs on light attacks, heavy attacks, funnel health, and sap essence.

Yeah, actually looking at the proc conditions again, it'll be easy to maintain the uptime, since it's 100% proc every 5 seconds, so just a light weave keeps it up just fine.

But you're still giving up a 5piece for about 250 magicka+stamina regen (as opposed to a 4 percent cost reduction for yourself and all magicka DPS with worm, for instance).

It'd kind of be like dropping a 5 piece to run Engine guardian. Technically it increases your sustain, but does nothing to boost your DDs output--and do you really need more sustain?
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They dont in trials. In vet dungeons a simple skoria provdes far more to the overall dungeon than any overkill unecessary sustain or utility.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been looking at options for my sustain set on my nightblade healer and came across bloodthorn- has anyone tried it for this role? Obviously I use spellpower cure for my main set. Bloodthorn returns stamina and magicka on direct damage every 5 seconds (around 700 each), and gives max mag, spell damage, and mag recovery.

Seems like the magicka return would help offset the initial cost of siphoning strikes, and work in conjunction with it so your light attacks and funnel health are returning magicka, health, and stamina all at once. Stamina isn't usually a go to resource for healing but would allow more frequent break free, sprinting, dodging/blocking, etc.

as a healer, yer own sustain is important... but also sustain for the group. This is why WORM CULT.

for yerself, think about a recovery glyph instead, and ELEMENTAL DRAIN.