The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Alcast builds...

ckrobinson83
ckrobinson83
✭✭✭✭
As someone who is really bad at builds, I try and find online sources to help out. Alcast seems to have a very complete website with a lot of good info, but I was wondering something about the one build I'm trying: The Dragonknight Stam tank.

I would think that the primary stat on that (after health) would be stam, yet his builds all show magica. So clearly I'm missing something. Any thoughts on that?
https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-dragonknight-tank-build-pve/

Thanks
  • Glockcoma725
    Glockcoma725
    ✭✭✭
    His tanks use ALOT of magicka moves. Really the Taunt, Heroic Slash and Absorb shield are the only three skills he uses in that build that use Stamina, and none of those 3 are really big drains as long as your squeezing in heavy attacks. Now, if you plan on dropping a few of those skills and swapping in stamina skills then definately attribute more stamina than he has. But that is a pretty solid set up right there tbh
    PC-NA CP570 @Glockcoma725
    Maximus Dezimus Meridius Tank DragonKight
    Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
    Myrddin Emrys DD Sorceror
    Smokes-All-Herbs Healer Templar
    Azog the Defiler DD Warden
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, you do have to block a bit...
  • Glockcoma725
    Glockcoma725
    ✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

You got me there, I actually haven't tanked since the new update, I forgot block cost is way harder. Before the update I didn't have any issues, but I'm betting it's hard now. I shall show myself to the door
    PC-NA CP570 @Glockcoma725
    Maximus Dezimus Meridius Tank DragonKight
    Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
    Myrddin Emrys DD Sorceror
    Smokes-All-Herbs Healer Templar
    Azog the Defiler DD Warden
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as "Stamina Tank" now. StamDK DD - yes, but every tank is a hybrid now. Half of the skills are magica based, those from Shield line need stamina. Base attribute is health, but magica and stamina are equally needed for a tank.
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You got me there, I actually haven't tanked since the new update, I forgot block cost is way harder. Before the update I didn't have any issues, but I'm betting it's hard now. I shall show myself to the door

Haha, for what it's worth my tank has about equal magicka and stamina with about 1k more stamina. It's important to have a balance.
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only reason for a tank to have more stamina than magica is to make sure that Shards return stamina and not magica.

I prefer Woeler.eu for tanking builds, though. Woeler.eu explains things well enough that even a noob like me can adopt the build to work for their own skill level.
    PC, EU
    Not elite, not the best. Just enjoying ESO.
    Not the worst either. "Casual" != "totally ignorant"
    @taciti
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Not if you are going to PUG it...

Woot! Bad PUG joke! I win the internets!
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most tanks will use more magica skills than stamina skills. Magica regenerates while blocking, allowing you to use those skills. Stamina doesn't regenerate while blocking, making it more difficult to replenish stamina.
    Taunt and Heroic slash are both free when the 1H&S ulti is active, so that's a pretty nice get-out-of-jail card for when your stamina is really running low. Absorb Shield reduces block cost (while on your bar, I think), further helping you to manage stamina.
    PC, EU
    Not elite, not the best. Just enjoying ESO.
    Not the worst either. "Casual" != "totally ignorant"
    @taciti
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam is for taunting, low slash and blocking and all the mag is for utility skills(buffs, heals,..). Both pools are important but you should have a bigger stam than mag pool due how the orbs/shards now work. Also having a good mag regen is quite nice as tank because you can use more utility skills.
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • ckrobinson83
    ckrobinson83
    ✭✭✭✭
    Huh. I'm running a warden tank who's doing pretty well, both before and after the update. Mainly pugs, but she has 0 magica and a very high health and some stam.
  • Tetrafy
    Tetrafy
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main reason we go for health is because of shields on the DK. Then mag recovery becomes way more important than stats into mag since Morrowind update. Heavy attacks give back stam so mag recovert and resists near cap are important too.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All good points. +35 health, solid stam pool since it does not regen while blocking and for shards synergy use you want stam higher than mag. For mag, focus more on mag regen than size of mag pool. As mentioned above, Woeler explains this very well for a DK tank.

One minor area where you can 'season to taste' is the ranged taunt (undaunted skill) morph - you can choose either a stam mag morph depending on your build/style.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on February 19, 2018 5:09PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that specific build used to be called a stamina tank, but is now called a "health tank" (if you look for it under the current dragonbones PVE builds using the navigation bars). The name of the build just hasn't been updated on it's specific page, and obviously it can still be classed as a stam dk tank.

Alcast explains that the build has great stamina sustain, so it can have lower stam, but it does rely on having shards or orbs from group members. That level of health is necessary in trials and vet-dlc dungeons, but in any other content you won't need that much health and can take more stamina if it suits your playstyles.

I came to this thread thinking it was a discussion of Alcast's builds generally. I am so grateful for how much he does for our game. I'd played with my own builds for 3 years before I did a version of one of his "Meta" builds and the difference was insane. More than that it taught me were I was going wrong with my own theory-crafted builds. It is great that he is now offering non-meta builds (e.g. sorc tank, dk healer) although I feel he is just copy/pasting his meta gear sets instead of focusing on what each class does distinctly well (e.g. high crit is more useful on a nightblade healer because of the large numbers of dot's and hot's in play).
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of DK tanks run a lot of magic skills because you need stamina for blocking and taunting (and vigor if needed). You don't want to run a lot of stamina skills because then you would have no stamina left for blocking. It's a resource balance. Tanks run tri glyphs for this reason and are Argonians because of the tri resource gain when consuming a potion (usually also a tri pot). But I have seen a lot of different builds and that seems to be the most successful for a majority of people. I once watched an ice staff tank try to tank nAS and they blamed me (the healer) for their death. I ran that trial on normal on my tank and didn't die once and we only had one healer and he was focused on healing the group. Some people literally believe you just have to stand there and hold block through EVERYTHING while the healer heals them. I believe a tank needs to be self sustaining for a certain amount of time and what has worked for me is being a hybrid.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Mureel
      Mureel
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      malicia wrote: »
      Only reason for a tank to have more stamina than magica is to make sure that Shards return stamina and not magica.

I prefer Woeler.eu for tanking builds, though. Woeler.eu explains things well enough that even a noob like me can adopt the build to work for their own skill level.

Was just gonna say, for tanking go Woeler.
    • Luigi_Vampa
      Luigi_Vampa
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Check out @Liofa as well for tank builds. His videos are informative and in depth as to why he does what he does. I think he even just posted a DK tank build here.
      Edited by Luigi_Vampa on February 19, 2018 5:25PM
      PC/EU DC
    • Nifty2g
      Nifty2g
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      That's a well rounded build, you don't need more health than that for most trials. There is no such thing as a stamina or magicka tank though, if you're going to tank just call yourself a tank

Most groups don't run a magicka dragonknight so the only thing I'd change in that build would be engulfing flames front bar and spell symmetry/balance back bar.

Other than that, you can beat pretty much everything with that exact set up

Also depending on skill level I assume is why he has absorb magic on bar, mostly don't need absorb magic instead replace it with heroic slash, and just heavy attack every now and then for the resource gain
      Edited by Nifty2g on February 19, 2018 5:32PM
      #MOREORBS
    • fred4
      fred4
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      DKs get stamina from using Earthen Heart skills, due to the Helping Hands passive. Tanks typically cast Igneous Shield for this. You don't regenerate stamina, but you have a way of converting magicka to small amounts of stamina, while holding block. If your block cost is small enough, this will sustain you quite a bit.
      PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
      PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    • ckrobinson83
      ckrobinson83
      ✭✭✭✭
      Thanks for all the input folks! I'm doing the level thing for my new tank now and I appreciate it.
    • Nighn_9
      Nighn_9
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      If Alcast ever left ESO, so many players would lose their minds xD
      Edited by Nighn_9 on February 21, 2018 2:09AM
      NA / PC
      November Beta 2013
      WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
      WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
    • SmellyUnlimited
      SmellyUnlimited
      ✭✭✭✭
      @ckrobinson83

Note that on his tank build, the Mage's Guild skill "Balance" (morph from Equilibrium) is a major part of the build.

You trade health for Magicka. It's instant, can do it as many times as you like. You can continue casting the Magicka abilities you need, or trade that magicka for stamina via Igneous Shields spam.

However:

You do want (and he mentions this also) more Stamina than Magicka. That way, when you snyergize on a shard, you're resupplying yourself with Stam (since you can already get Magicka on the fly). So if your personal stats give you a large magicka pool, but a smaller stam pool, you need to reenchant some gear to stamina (or reallocate Character points).

Ultimately, as a tank you'll want a number of Tri-glyphs (at least on the big pieces).
      DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
    • Ragnarock41
      Ragnarock41
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Maybe if people stopped calling Dk tanks ''stam Dk'' your question would sort itself out.
      Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 21, 2018 4:42AM
    • DoctorESO
      DoctorESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Nighn_9 wrote: »
      If Alcast ever left ESO, so many players would lose their minds xD

But I assume there would also be a power struggle and someone will fill the void and be the new almighty queen or king of the ESO builds.
    • Conduit0
      Conduit0
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Maybe if people stopped calling Dk tanks ''stam Dk'' your question would sort itself out.

Its an old habit that is hard to break. Prior to Morrowind they were called stam tanks because you stacked large amounts of stamina, helping hands was percentage based so the more stam you had the better your sustain was.
    • Ep1kMalware
      Ep1kMalware
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      As someone who is really bad at builds, I try and find online sources to help out. Alcast seems to have a very complete website with a lot of good info, but I was wondering something about the one build I'm trying: The Dragonknight Stam tank.

I would think that the primary stat on that (after health) would be stam, yet his builds all show magica. So clearly I'm missing something. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Alcast is terrible at builds, for tanks check out woeler.
    • SmellyUnlimited
      SmellyUnlimited
      ✭✭✭✭

Thanks

I also would recommend Gilliam and Nightblade Mechanics guides specifically for Nightblades (both Mag/Stam) over Alcast’s.
      DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
    • Tasear
      Tasear
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Alcat's healer builds aren't that great if it's not Templar.
      Edited by Tasear on February 25, 2018 1:02AM
    • Ragnarock41
      Ragnarock41
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Conduit0 wrote: »

Its an old habit that is hard to break. Prior to Morrowind they were called stam tanks because you stacked large amounts of stamina, helping hands was percentage based so the more stam you had the better your sustain was.

Well, It triggers me when people make a build with barely 15k stamina and call it a ''stamDk'' nowadays.

I've seen magsorcs with more stamina than that...
      Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 24, 2018 8:38AM
    • Ep1kMalware
      Ep1kMalware
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks

I also would recommend Gilliam and Nightblade Mechanics guides specifically for Nightblades (both Mag/Stam) over Alcast’s.

Yeah his video is little winded but if one genuinely wants solid build advice it's a must watch.