The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

A Werewolf's Journal: Dragon Bones

Chrlynsch
Chrlynsch
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Caius here, bringing another chapter to my werewolf journal.

Needless to say to my fellow wolves, we know that this patch had started off very rough with a Werewolf breaking bug. ZOS has stated that it will be addressed come Monday Feb 19th. Cross our claws.

Now a big change that has come for werewolves this patch is a buff to the stam return of our heavy attacks. This means that we will have a net gain to our heavies if you clip with an ability.

My heavy armor werewolf brings in 6.25k stamina with a heavy attack. This buff alone wouldn't be much to shake a tail at, but with the change to off balance this means 12.5k stamina return from a heavy attack on an off balance target. I can say that we can cross sustain off our needs improvement list.

The thing I really like about this change is how it can be countered in pvp by block and dodge builds.

Bugs and broken things
Pack Leader: wolves don't respawn after a death. You must drop form and enter wolf again to get them back.

Claws of Anguish: Still not affecting healing regeneration.

Synergies: Werewolves can not activate allies synergies, only feeding frenzy. Even when activating feeding frenzy do we gain undaunted resource return. (Also currently friendly synergies break werewolf form, this should be fixed monday).

Resurrecting: Werewolves don't have the ability to resurrect fallen allies.

Stealthing: Werewolves can not enter stealth, only using an invisibility pot or heavy attack CP passive works. With the removal of stealth damage increase we should be able to gain the stealth mechanic, whether or not we use it should be our choice.

Unchained: Currently does not work with werewolf form from my tests.

Proposed improvements

Ultimate generation: Werewolves should continue to gain Ultimate while in form, a successful long hunt should fuel you for your next transformation. Other classes/ultimates encourage ultimate stacking and building. Werewolf should be the same. Allowing players who chose to build for strong werewolf focussed gameplay to do so.

Devour: Only check for corpse on activation of synergy. Too many times players resurrect or npc bodies despawn, leaving you with an empty stomach.

Claws of ______: An aoe ability, can be dodged and blocked. Must become undodgeable.

Claws of Anguish: This morph applies disease dot which has the chance to proc Major Defile. Though the primary effect of this morph is to apply Major Defile. Redundant, change damage type to bleed, or poison.

Brutal pounce: Increase the damage of this ability so it is in line with other aoe abilies such as steal tornado or impulse.

Feral Pounce: Either reduce the minimum range of this ability to 10m or remove the time added minimum range component. Too many times do we use this ability to gain time only to have no time rewarded. It is impossible to tell what 10m is especially when different enemies have different sized hit boxes that you move to.

Hircine's Fortitude: A subpar morph. Change the hot to Health Regen with an aoe heal component half the strength of the base heal.

Ferocious Roar: thus morph just doesn't work anymore with the changes to off balance Cool down. Better off retooling this whole ability. But grant it major brutality per next request.

Rousing roar: Grant this ability major sorcery as well as major brutality, this will make werewolves not running Pelinal's more viable.

Gearing

Salvation set: Add 33% werewolf timer reduction to your group. (This gives solo players 53% slower werewolf timer and a group of four wolves perma wolf)

Hircine's veneer: Increased stamina regen for up to 12 groupmates. While in werewolf form Hircine's heal also detects nearby stealthed enemies for 5 seconds (like magelight).

What is everyone's opinions on the state of werewolf, what would you like to see in terms of fixes, buffs, future content.
Edited by Chrlynsch on February 18, 2018 5:50PM
Caius
Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
PC NA
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What bothers me a little is the fact that the devour synergy got left out of the synergy-improvements in Dragon-Bones patch. Overall the improvement with synergies (aka easier to use them) is a huge QoL change to ESO.

High priority:

1. If an ally, pet or enemy stands on top of a dead corps you´re still unable to feed on them. Pre Dragon-Bones other synergies in the game were functioning the same way. If someone else were close to you when a synergy passed by, it was sometimes impossible to activate it. Same thing happens if you try to capture a flag (resource/keep in PvP areas and a dead corpse is lying close to the flag. The timer that shows how long it takes for the flag.

2. Bring back perma-wolf with 4 or more transformed werewolfs in the same group. Even though this was an un-intentional bug from the beginning, it encourage group-play with a otherwise niched playstyle. Either that or let us gain ultimate in werewolf-form.

3. Unchained passive needs to be fixed, it´s an essential passive for stamina builds in general (at least if playing CP-PvP).

Medium priority:

1. With the new changes to off-balance we´re able to gain more stamina back on our heavy attacks. This change solve the majority of the sustain issues werewolf has. More improvements can of course be done but it´s a nice buff. However, since you need to use heavy attacks in a more tactical way (aka proc off-balance into a heavy attack) your heavy attacks need to actually hit the target more reliably. At the moment the heavy attack from werewolfs are really clunky. If you heavy attack on an enemy that is off-balanced (as of Dragon Bone patch) you won´t always gain the 2x resource gain. If your enemy is moving and isn´t close to the werewolf when they heavy attack begins its "channelling motion" you don´t always get the 2x resource back,,even if the enemy is within the heavy attack range. I think this issue is similar to how magicka Templar sweeps works (or used to work). If you start your jabs when the enemy is out of range and then proceed to move within the range of the skill, not all of the following jabs will hit the target. These are only theories of the root of the problem, and I don´t know for sure. If any ZOS employee could look into it, it would be appreciated.

2. Bug-fixes as mentioned in OP´s post.

3. Remove the speed-cap from werewolfs. This would make them exclusive of ignoring speed-cap.

Changes to current skills:
    - Rework of Hircine´s fortitude into:
    a) A purge
    b) A group-healing ability (<--- Preferably)
    Keep the original burst heal but make it a clear choice of damage (Hircine´s Rage) vs defense (Hircine´s Fortitude)

- Rework Ferocious Roar into:
    a) A morph that give major sorcery instead of major brutality. This way a group of werewolfs can decide which player runs which morph to optimize their group.
    b) The morph no longer stuns/fear nearby enemies (off-balance effect is also removed), instead it gives snare-immunity and major expedition for you and nearby allies.

Pursuit passive:
    - Add a 10 meter stealth detection passive to this passive (not stackable with detection pots)

I think a fair compensation would be to increase the damage from Fighter´s Guild abilities against werewolfs (and vampires since they go under the same passive skill in FG´s tree)
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something that I forgot to add:

Would be interesting to see the heavy attacks apply a separate bleed-damage compared to the light attack bleed.