The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Can a ZOS level designer please convincingly furnish a large home with 700 slots ?

molecule
molecule
✭✭✭✭✭
Alot of people, including myself, are struggling with the current cap - so perhaps an 'expert' at this could contribute.

It's a number that has obviously been given some serious thought by ZOS, ( how else could you come up with a figure ? ) so perhaps you could furnish ( pardon the pun ) us with some 700 item examples of your work from the Level Design team ?

I would be very interested in Earthtear Cavern, as an example, but feel free to dazzle me with any large home, as a blank canvas for you to demonstrate your design knowledge/ experience/ expertise.

You make some quality environments in the game, and i'm sure you have to stick to the 700 item limit throughout the game, just like us !

To me, after careful consideration - it's a tad low.

No, i'm being serious !

And by a tad low, i mean in the way an ant is a tad smaller than a whale ( add don't pull that perspective stuff on me - i'm wise to that ).

Anyway, i await your screenshots and vids with drooling anticipation of what you can achieve.

Replies - NONE

• Corrinos
    Corrinos
    ✭✭✭
    What is a "ZOS level designer?" It seems they exclusively employ interns.
  • Aethereal'Golden
    Aethereal'Golden
    ✭✭✭
    I wish to see Mathiisen manor decorated by ZOS designer with, okay, 600 slots. And what about 300? I'm curious :)
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please, both interior and exterior. And they should do it as the houses in the loading screens we have to watch are decorated, all beautifully cluttered :trollface:
    The Palace they are going to release would be a good example. Must be funny to convincingly decorate that with 700 slots...
    lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I know when housing dropped they said caps are equal to what they can actually manage.

It's not a random number, but truly the cap for their machines.

From the beginning they always said they were trying to find ways to increase the maximum.

I really don't think it's that they don't want players to furnish their homes.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well I know when housing dropped they said caps are equal to what they can actually manage.

From the beginning they always said they were trying to find ways to increase the maximum.

That's pretty much the complete opposite of what the ZOS statment was. Their statement was that the furniture caps were specifically set towards the low end because they wanted a large safety net to be certain there wouldn't be any performance impacts and that they would look at raising them in the future.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wish they'd stop releasing over-sized, limited-time, Crown Exclusive monstrosities that can't adequately be decorated even with ESO+ membership.

Seriously, they need to figure out a way to raise item caps rather than creating the next giant-*** thing that no one will be able to enjoy decorating. Why do they continue to frustrate us with these item caps while continuing to release over-sized and over-priced homes?

I looked at the Dawnlight Palace on PTS, and it was a joke! The interior looked so bare in the furnished version and pretty much nothing was even added to the exterior of the place. I cannot see anyone being able to satisfactorily decorate both the inside and outside into something that looks like someone lives there. They are going to lose out on sales of these homes that are designed to generate revenue if they don't address this issue. People aren't going to want to waste Crowns on something unless they know they can do it justice and carry out their creative ideas.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on February 19, 2018 9:56PM
  • Yieley
    Yieley
    You just have to get creative! Use bigger items to cover more space, special Furnishings, attention to detail, it can be done!

NAPS4 Homestead Guild
    Tamriel Homeowner Council
    THC
    Edited by Yieley on February 19, 2018 10:45PM
    Join the NAPS4 Homestead Guild :
    THC
    no invite needed to join page and view pics, and you can also request a kind invite to Th© guild here!
  • Yieley
    Yieley
    molecule wrote: »
    Alot of people, including myself, are struggling with the current cap - so perhaps an 'expert' at this could contribute.

It's a number that has obviously been given some serious thought by ZOS, ( how else could you come up with a figure ? ) so perhaps you could furnish ( pardon the pun ) us with some 700 item examples of your work from the Level Design team ?

I would be very interested in Earthtear Cavern, as an example, but feel free to dazzle me with any large home, as a blank canvas for you to demonstrate your design knowledge/ experience/ expertise.

You make some quality environments in the game, and i'm sure you have to stick to the 700 item limit throughout the game, just like us !

To me, after careful consideration - it's a tad low.

No, i'm being serious !

And by a tad low, i mean in the way an ant is a tad smaller than a whale ( add don't pull that perspective stuff on me - i'm wise to that ).

Anyway, i await your screenshots and vids with drooling anticipation of what you can achieve.

Replies - NONE

There's a lot very full and nicely designed homes in my guild, our co-president has Daggerfall done up quite well. You should try visiting more homes to get more ideas.

NAPS4 Homestead Guild
    THC
    THC
    no invite needed to join page and view pics, and you can also request a kind invite to Th© guild here!
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corrinos wrote: »
    What is a "ZOS level designer?" It seems they exclusively employ interns.
    You've clearly not seen "all of this..." :tongue:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Gothren
    Gothren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yieley wrote: »
    You just have to get creative! Use bigger items to cover more space, special Furnishings, attention to detail, it can be done!

NAPS4 Homestead Guild
    THC

exactly! big items help fill in the gaps. i just purchased the dwarven gazebo and that thing is fairly large.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gothren wrote: »

NAPS4 Homestead Guild
    THC

exactly! big items help fill in the gaps. i just purchased the dwarven gazebo and that thing is fairly large.

I often do this too, and it really can help. But you need to consider whether a big item of one style will look right in a property of a different style.

There is not yet enough variation in large items. Maybe ZO$ should address this.
  • Yieley
    Yieley
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    Gothren wrote: »

NAPS4 Homestead Guild
    THC

I often do this too, and it really can help. But you need to consider whether a big item of one style will look right in a property of a different style.

There is not yet enough variation in large items. Maybe ZO$ should address this.

Homestead is still relatively new. With new updates, comes new items. I feel like they'll get there, housing is a huge gold sink!

:*
    Homestead Guild & PSN Community Page:
    THC

Read about us at :
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/396796/homestead-guild#latest
    Edited by Yieley on February 20, 2018 12:38AM
    THC
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    I wish they'd stop releasing over-sized, limited-time, Crown Exclusive monstrosities that can't adequately be decorated even with ESO+ membership.

Seriously, they need to figure out a way to raise item caps rather than creating the next giant-*** thing that no one will be able to enjoy decorating. Why do they continue to frustrate us with these item caps while continuing to release over-sized and over-priced homes?

I looked at the Dawnlight Palace on PTS, and it was a joke! The interior looked so bare in the furnished version and pretty much nothing was even added to the exterior of the place. I cannot see anyone being able to satisfactorily decorate both the inside and outside into something that looks like someone lives there. They are going to lose out on sales of these homes that are designed to generate revenue if they don't address this issue. People aren't going to want to waste Crowns on something unless they know they can do it justice and carry out their creative ideas.
    I couldn't agree more.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Same issue as everything else in this game is what im guessing, poor server quality. They went on the cheap side on servers and this game REQUIRES many many high end servers. The game is to technical, detailed, and intricate to get away with low quality servers.

And the issues it causes by using lower quality hardware will be the death of this game, especially as they add more stuff and keep taxing the system.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Replies - NONE

see, when you write 'expert' like that, you're just being rude. replies - none should stay that way, because which of them wants to be talked down to like you are doing.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They couldn't even clear HM scalecaller... And you want them to do this?
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have ever "escaped" the invisible walls of a home you know why home load screens take a while and why the item caps are limited. Your housing instance actually loads about 1/3rd of the zone you are in in a slightly truncated (less foliage and building interiors) way. Some folks actually have their whole houses outside of their actual house. Very cool stuff but it does demonstrate a problem when it comes to storage problems especially when dealing with limitations in consoles. Screw those dirty peasant console players though. Let us have all our PC gamer master race glory. I know my rig can load at least 5 times what any console can do. Lay it on me man.

In all seriousness though. My little sleek creak house looks nice and full whereas my buddies with monster, expensive, houses at cap look so empty. It is not an incentive to upgrade. I would rather pay a million gold to just up my collectable limits than buy a house for a million with the bigger limits and have to deal with it looking vacant.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tel Galen, arguably one of the "smallest" ones of the largest homes with 700 limit.

I've decorated the garden to my liking, and finally got around to placing all the tapestries, carpets and furniture that I wanted - and now I'm at the cap.

Still need to place all the clutter and knick-knack inside the house, as well as place some urns and decor at my Velothi altar in the gardens. I'm assuming I would need 200-300 more slots to finish it off.

I don't see why everyone should suffer just so that a few people playing on potatoes shouldn't experience too much stutter if they fill their homes with too much crab.

Make the user take the responsibility, place too much shiz in your home and suffer the consequences of less performance, instead of hampering everyone.

For what it's worth, even in my richly decorated gardens, I experience no performance issues whatsoever, and inside it's even better.

I've already plucked out every stray fungus or piece of boulder or rock I can imagine. If I take away anything else, my house will start to look bare-boned and empty.

ZOS - it's time to take homesteads into the future of 2018 and raise housing limits.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same issue as everything else in this game is what im guessing, poor server quality. They went on the cheap side on servers and this game REQUIRES many many high end servers. The game is to technical, detailed, and intricate to get away with low quality servers.

And the issues it causes by using lower quality hardware will be the death of this game, especially as they add more stuff and keep taxing the system.

I can decorate a home normally with 700 items and have no performance issues. I can also place 700 trees and have massive performance issues.

It all depends on the items you’re placing. Players should decide how many items they want in their home, not ZOS. If there’s going to be a cap it should be at least 2x what it is rn.

• Kevin_of_Devinshire
    With an ESO+ membership I should have unlimited slots just like the craft bag. I know that it will slow down my rendering due to a crap load of stuff, but damn, this is ridiculous that I can finish my massive island because I'm out of slots.
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My rig is outdated (pretty much a potato - I'm thinking pretty seriously about a whole system upgrade, because aside from my HDD and my power supply, there's very little in there that's modern enough to allow piecemeal component upgrading) and I can completely fill up my homes with ridiculous items, or go into the homes of people who have done the same, and not run into any lag. Yes, we're talking animated items, massive gently waving trees everywhere (just for giggles I filled a house with giant fabricant oaks in PTS). escaped the invisible walls for a boat party scenarios. This is with graphics settings tuned up, no overclocking. Yes, the item caps are out of touch with what they would actually need to be to cause problems for even low end PC users whose rigs can run this game. I can't speak to consoles.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you but then why they don't add larger construction blocks, like floors, ladders, stairs, platforms, fences or beams, so we don't have to use 30 stone blocks to make a ladder or a wall?

Everything is already in the game, they just need to add an item code to it.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • molecule
    molecule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »

Replies - NONE

see, when you write 'expert' like that, you're just being rude. replies - none should stay that way, because which of them wants to be talked down to like you are doing.

The subject matter was serious, the post made in a somewhat tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic manner - Hence the 2 parts you have highlighted. Sarcasm doesn't translate well in writing.

And Yes i seriously do not expect any replies from a ZOS level designer or ZOS 'expert' to appear in this thread.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Homestead is still relatively new. With new updates, comes new items. I feel like they'll get there, housing is a huge gold sink!

You mean crowns sink. D: I would spend more gold on housing if more things I wanted (conservatory, notable homes, statuary, etc) were able to be purchased with gold. As is, I really don't spend that much on housing. I farm my own mats, and only buy some patterns.

I also have several large homes decorated with 600 and 400 that look great. If you want the super cluttered look, no, it won't work. But why buy a home to completely cover up the architechture and location?

Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on February 23, 2018 2:39PM
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've been "looking into" adding more furnishing slots for a year now, how much longer is it going to take?
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SisterGoat wrote: »
    They've been "looking into" adding more furnishing slots for a year now, how much longer is it going to take?

They want to make sure it doesnt break the game....

We already know its going to break the game. A couple of sayings come to mind...Lets see if i can translate to a PG version: They could... " Break a crowbar in a sandbox", " Crack an anvil with a rubber mallet"... I cant make the last one PG.
  • shiningforce
    shiningforce
    ✭✭✭
    The low Cap on items in housing excuse that ESO is using saying that its because of performance issues is complete nonsense.

Reason why is we have plenty of Survival games out there today such as ARK that can add heaps of items 5000+ and even more in an area and everyone is fine. It makes no sense to have a level cap of 700 and for special items 10" only TEN!? Raise the cap on all house items, its also a way ESO can make more money..

Unless ESO is telling us they are not set up for high amounts of items which is still BS. Plus the houses are for self individuals, if someones computer cannot handle a whole lot of items and say they crash just set them outside the house. Its my Home I am decorating I shouldn't have to appease random players.
    -- It is easy to be a Jerk Online; what do you win? Being Kind people remember you, help you, befriend you and you feel good too.
  • shiningforce
    shiningforce
    ✭✭✭
    SisterGoat wrote: »

Agreed. Its taking way too long. Remember the Cap in Fallout 4? If you had the PC version you could make it so you could put down as many structures/items you wanted. I have entire cities in that game, no issues whatsoever. Who are they really catering to? People with crappy Pc's apparently. The more items in a home the more money they will make off people. I was really disappointed at the low level cap.
    -- It is easy to be a Jerk Online; what do you win? Being Kind people remember you, help you, befriend you and you feel good too.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

NAPS4 Homestead Guild
    THC

You are devaluing creativity, not leveraging it.

If everyone is forced to use the same set of larger objects, even if that set is large, creativity is shelved in favor of practicality.

I cannot tell you how many homes I have visited in the last month that use the clockwork salvage plates as flooring or for other structural purposes. What people really want is a nice brick or tiled floor they make from various different objects.

So, for example, you could merge multiple statue bases to get that brick floor you envision, but alas it takes up 3x the space as one salvage plate... You can also spend money out the whazoo and replace the salvage plates with the redguard wall sections sold on the crown store, but the brick isn't nearly as well suited as those 40-50 square statue bases sold on the luxury vendor at some point.

General Comment:

ZoS made a statement that not many people are at the cap. We should be pushing back on empty statements like that. Only one of my properties is actually sitting at the cap, and it's one of my furnishing junkyards, largely filled with luxury vendor items I buy 'just in case' I need them in the future.

However, with respect to creations, I have hit the cap and had to restructure over and over. As one example, Topal came out pretty nice after about 5 cap hits and reconstruction. It's not close to what I wanted to build and started in the first iteration. So it's near but not at the cap. That property is my crafting megaplex and I have reserved 50 spaces for attunement stations, which is a bit less than I need, but I am hoping the cap will increase before it becomes yet another issue requiring me to deconstruct and move farther away from what i wanted in the first place.

I have other properties sitting within 50 of the cap and not at the cap simply because I had to settle for less that what I wanted.
    Edited by Wreuntzylla on February 21, 2018 7:45PM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

NAPS4 Homestead Guild
    THC

You are devaluing creativity, not leveraging it.

If everyone is forced to use the same set of larger objects, even if that set is large, creativity is shelved in favor of practicality.

Oh my, how do we get on with only 26 letters in the alphabet!

But seriously, yes, we do need more structural elements. However, creatvity isn't defined by the building blocks themselves, but by what you do with them.

I don't build structures, I make actual homes in Tamriel. Homes I would live in. Does that make me not creative? No. I rarely visit homes that look like homes, mostly weird vignettes stuffed all over an area. A few make awesome cohesive looks, but those are truly rare. Building extra buildings? I find that boring. Seeing what you can do within limits....THAT is creativity.*

*Things I learned in Engineering School #517
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on February 23, 2018 6:02PM