Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Helping a new player

BjarniiV
BjarniiV
Soul Shriven
Hey guys, i'm still fairly new to ESO.

I wanted to ask somethings:
1) What's a good beginners class ?
2) What ''faction''' is good ?
3) Does someone want to play/level together? :smiley:
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BjarniiV wrote: »
    Hey guys, i'm still fairly new to ESO.

I wanted to ask somethings:
    1) What's a good beginners class ?
    2) What ''faction''' is good ?
    3) Does someone want to play/level together? :smiley:

Welcome to ESO :) . I like Templar since you get a heal, a DPS heal, and a DOT (damage overtime) attack right off the bat. Daggerfall Covenant is my main alliance but all faction are fun to play
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the game.

About the only class that isn't good for brand new players is nightblade, although it can be done.

Which faction you pick is personal preference. There are sort of governing ideas behind the factions, but it all boils down to what you want. My favorite is Ebonheart Pact, second is the Dominion, dead last is the Covenant. I was really really not impressed with King Emeric.

You might want to post your platform and server if you're looking for people to play with.
  • naga.
    naga.
    ✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    About the only class that isn't good for brand new players is nightblade, although it can be done.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with nightblades being bad for beginners. It think it depends on personal preferences. If you like melee combat and always being on the move, a dualwield/bow nightblade should be something you'd enjoy. It was the first character I rolled and because of these characteristics it remains my favourite. Others simply aren't as enjoyable. Then again... my main in SWToR was a marauder... I guess I must be biased towards suicidal maniac DPS classes.

If you'd like to know more 'about how to nightblade', the 'Tricks' section in Jekyll's guide is a good place to start even though the built itself hasn't been updated since mid-2017.
    Edited by naga. on February 17, 2018 5:56PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on what playstyle you want. Be aware that its much easier to be effective by going all stamina or magicka. If you choose stamina, most classes start out magicka based, but you'll pick up stamina morphs as you go.

You can look at some of the Level Up Advisor Builds to see what appeals to you, but here's a general run-down of playstyle.
    Dragonknights: naturally tanky, use fire or poison, lots of damage over time effects
    Sorcerers: have combat pets, use elemental magic, lots of area of effect spells
    Nightblades: Stealthy glass cannons with high damage but often a little squishy, lots of stealth options and single target damage
    Templars: naturally good at healing, use skills that do damage, support, buff, and self-heal
    Wardens: jack of all trades, master at most - good at buffing and healing over time, lots of burst damage

All classes are perfectly able to complete all the content, especially in overland content. The easiest leveling I've ever had was on a stam sorc - the Arcane Warrior build in the Level Up Advisor worked very nicely for overland content on the PTS.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    naga. wrote: »

I wouldn't necessarily agree with nightblades being bad for beginners. It think it depends on personal preferences. If you like melee combat and always being on the move, a dualwield/bow nightblade should be something you'd enjoy. It was the first character I rolled and because of these characteristics it remains my favourite. Others simply aren't as enjoyable. Then again... my main in SWToR was a marauder... I guess I must be biased towards suicidal maniac DPS classes.

If you'd like to know more 'about how to nightblade', the 'Tricks' section in Jekyll's guide is a good place to start even though the built itself hasn't been updated since mid-2017.

Should have specified bow only nightblade as a very first character. While my attempt at bow only nb wasn't the first character I made, the longer I played the more I was convinced that *I* couldn't do bow only and survive. I freely admit I am not the uber leetest of players, so that had a lot to do with it. Once I added dual wield it became a lot more doable.

• Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the game.

Which faction you pick is personal preference. There are sort of governing ideas behind the factions, but it all boils down to what you want. My favorite is Ebonheart Pact, second is the Dominion, dead last is the Covenant. I was really really not impressed with King Emeric.

You might want to post your platform and server if you're looking for people to play with.

I agree, my first character was a nightblade, it is hard mode compared to other classes. Even now, well into champion levels, it can be a struggle. I think ranged is the easiest to learn on( though a bow nightblade is probably one of the hardest to play). Personally, i think a magikca sorcerer is great for beginners. Drops for staff/light armor are really common. You get two decent damage abilities early on. You also get a pet( scamp) which can be morphed into a clannfear. The clannfear will heal you, if you hit the summon key while it is summoned, making for a nice heal. It also tanks mobs for you significantly reducing the amount of tanking you have to do.

Faction doesnt really matter. IIRC, race is locked into factions. You make characters based on racial stats, if you want to gain the maximum racial benefits. What faction they are in is mostly irrelevant( i think it only matters in alliance war). You can still go anywhere with any character and do all of the quests.

If your looking for people to play with i recommend looking for a guild on your server. One that is newbie friendly. You can be in up to 5 player guilds at the same time. You can check on the forums or ask in zone chat for newbie friendly guilds.
  • knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    sorcerer is probally the easiest class to play also has a pet that helps you kill , any faction dont really matter , if you are on pc eu add my name . i will help you when i am on uk time zone evenings .

might be a idea to play 1 of each class to so you have a better idea on how they play .
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the other person who said that nightblades are the only class that isn't noob-friendly. They're harder to master than the other classes, although once you master them, you'll do great damage and have a lot of fun. The biggest issue with them is that they die too easily at first, until you get your skills leveled up a bit (and get the skill Vigor if doing a stamina nightblade, which comes from the alliance war skill line in PvP).

A stamina sorceror is my favorite as a good beginner's class, but everyone will have their own opinion about it. Sorcerors have a great healing skill called "Surge" that is a must-have for sorcs. The stamina version of sorcs use non-staff weapon abilities (mine uses dual wield daggers), plus several sorc skills.

*Edit* There isn't any one faction that's better than the others.
    Edited by SydneyGrey on February 20, 2018 6:35AM
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All classes are able to complete the storyline and all alliances are about the same.

A word of advice, chose either stamina or magicka as your main form of attack but just not both. Your attacks gain strength from how big your resource pool is. i.e..30k magicka means your spells will hit for 3k more.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are just starting I recommend starting as magicka build since most stamina classes can't get a reliable healing until they do PvP. So any magicka class would be good for a beginner, with Sorcerer, Templar and Nightblade the top choices. Just get training trait gear crafted every 10 levels or so, 5 Armor of the Seducer 3 Torug's Pact w Destro front and Resto Back and 5 light/1 medium/1 heavy to train all those skill lines is a pretty solid choice I've been using for over 2 years for leveling magicka characters. Pick a race with magicka bonus like High Elf, Breton, Dark Elf or Argonian to be viable also end game.
    Edited by Asardes on February 20, 2018 8:51AM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |