The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you play in first person or third person?

Anotherone773
Anotherone773
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Im curious what most people play the game in. I typically play in first person which is the opposite i play in most games. I just find it odd to play third person in ESO and more difficult most of the time. But i occasionally will switch to third person for a boss fight. I also find that third person does weird zooms sometimes if you have an object behind you which i find annoying to have my POV change randomly and drastically while i do something. That may be why i play first person... rather than cut the object and show my character, it zooms erratically.

So how do you play ESO?
Edited by Anotherone773 on February 16, 2018 7:34PM

Do you play in first person or third person? 280 votes

I always play in first person
3%
jedtb16_ESOJKorrKnowledgegootdudeTheGreatPumpkingoldenarcher1TheCyberDruidMamauilaswoodapbananamoGQManOfTheYear 11 votes
I mostly play in first person but switch to third sometimes
5%
RizcarnDominoidArizona_SteveFfastylAdamBourkeVaranaLysetteParaNostramlolmerTheRealPotorooWildRaptorXAnotherone773PennylongKoronachstorm105 15 votes
I play about 50/50 first/third person
3%
dwelling_playb16_ESODavorbethshebaRex-Umbraterrordactyl1971Dar'NorokWrubius_CoronariaStevenFMcurtisnewton 9 votes
I play mostly in third person but sometimes will switch to first person
35%
KalfisMorbashthesilverball_ESOvailjohn_ESOPinesyKovaMarginisPheefswenchmore420b14_ESOHrogunIruil_ESOGythralDanikatEnteumRebstarlizard70ub17_ESORev RielleElsonsojarydfdsalter 98 votes
I only play in third person and never use first person
52%
NestorlaurajfwayfarerxWatchYourSixxjsarthur_ESONewBlacksmurfkypranb14_ESOOsteosZapzarapKendaricSvenjaAedhLadyAstrumAlienSlofeovogtb16_ESODatolitecwells74ub17_ESOGothrenordraveeb17_ESOLaerothKeykalyn 147 votes
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a tactical perspective, there is no reason to play first person mode in this game. I don't much care for immersion, but I can see why some people might want that.
  • Kova
    Kova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a tactical perspective, there is no reason to play first person mode in this game. I don't much care for immersion, but I can see why some people might want that.

I would totally be up for a 1st person pvp campaign. I'd bet it'd be nothing but stealth archers. Glorious
    EP Sorc: Aydinn
    AD Stamplar: Verdant`Knight
    DC Stamblade: Apple`Punch
    EP Stam Sorc: Kós
    AD DragonKnight: Transmigrant
    EP NIghtblade: Aydinn
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the only game I have ever played in Third Person, at least in the TES Series.

I tried to play first person and the fights are just unmanageable, as we have mobs and attacks coming from all directions, needing to know exactly where your group mates or other players are. So, personally, I can't play this game in First Person.

Now a few times I will switch to FP for like a one on one with a mob. I have to say, it's really interesting, the Mobs have facial expressions that go with the combat, and things are bit more intense. Maybe those who play TP see these expressions, but I am old and my eyes don't focus like they used to.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely HATE playing games in 1st person....its the main reason I don't play FPS games.
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Third person 99% of the time. First person can be nice for the immershuns, but even then the FOV seems really off.
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First person as much as possible. Using any mount makes "always first person" kind of impossible.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I mostly play in first person but switch to third sometimes
    JKorr wrote: »
    First person as much as possible. Using any mount makes "always first person" kind of impossible.

I was excluding forced perspective changes such as being mounted. It took me a long time to get use to riding a mount decently where i could ride it on narrow pathways because the POV is offset. I find it really annoying to look over my shoulder.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Technically I do use first person, but only to get a better look at an object or character.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you play in first person or third person?

Yes ...
    mueba.gif
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only really switch to 1st person for tactical thievery.
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mostly 3rd person, i only use 1st person to interact with or loot hard to reach objects/bodies.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody in their right mind is going to play this game in first person. The tactical disadvantages are a mile long and you gain nothing. If you play in first-person exclusively, you are worthless for anything harder than overworld content and normal dungeons, period. That said, I do sometimes change to first-person to get a better look at decorative things (and myself), and as someone else mentioned, stealing.

Edited by Dapper Dinosaur on February 16, 2018 8:11PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    95% of the time in 3rd. Sometimes, when quarters are tight, I switch to first person so I don't have some tree or hanging moss in my face.

Edit: I do want to say that 1st person in this game is really really good, and the game can easily be played this way. I did it for months and got really good at it. 3rd person gives a better tactical view of the world, though, and that is really the deciding factor.
    Edited by Elsonso on February 16, 2018 8:13PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Highlor3
    Highlor3
    ✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

If you're on PC, try ImmersiveHorseRiding.
    [PC-NA] CP 1400+ The Conquest of Tamriel, UESP & Taverna do Mestre
    The Scientia Consortium:
    • Rodbertus Quercus, Imperial, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Robert Bethencourt, Breton, Templar [DC]
    • Karlindah Telvanni, Dunmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Hejthuxis (former Raises-Her-Rear), Argonian, Nightblade [EP]
    • Limeril Bravewind, Altmer, Warden [AD]
    • Isilarelen, Dunmer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Elindael, Bosmer, Warden [AD]
    • Hrodberaht Bright-Fame, "Nordguard", Warden [EP]
    • Ra'Kham, Khajiit, Nightblade [DC]
    • Brazilia gra-Bagol, Orsimer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Nirrah al-Hegathe, Redguard, Necromancer [DC]
    • Theodora Quercus, Imperial, Templar [DC]
    • Cuddles-In-The-Water, Argonian, Templar [EP]
    • Cainneach the Pale, Reachman, Necromancer [AD]
    • Dughlas af-Fearley, Redguard, Sorcerer [DC]
    • Roze Cloturier, Breton, Arcanist [AD]
    • Alvyrspic the Remnant, Nord, Arcanist [DC]
    [PC-EU] No CP THE CAPS ARMY
    • Adaltos Indoril, Dunmer, Templar [EP]
    • Geralt of Evermore, Breton, Nightblade [DC]
    • Feainneweedd, Altmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Robert Cloturier-Baudiae, Breton, Arcanist [DC]
    • M'ahnurr the Elusive, Khajiit, Arcanist [AD]
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    most fighting I'll use 3rd person, however - I really enjoy doing the quests in 1st person...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the POV is offset. I find it really annoying to look over my shoulder.

I hate this too. However, on the PC we can change the Offset of the Camera, both Vertically and Horizontally. I think the consoles should have this. I hope they have this.

But, if your on PC, fix the offset, it makes 3rd Person so so so so so much nicer

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I played first person for years, but now it's exclusively third. You can just see more of what's around you in third, including when a dremora caitiff is going to try and knock me over the railing from behind.
  • TheGreatPumpkin
    I play first person and do exceptionally well in that format/mode. While I 100% understand the advantages of 3rd person, my brain seems to coordinate and calculate decisions better with first person.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In vet dungeons and trials and PvP
    I use 3rd for all easy content like quests or overland stuff I use first person
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I played Skyrim in first person, which was a little unusual for me, but the game wasn't too punishing so I made it work. It was interesting to see the world from that view. It also made it easy to forget what my character looked like. :D

When I made the transition to ESO it became clear that third person was the way to go. I don't think I'd be able to function without the wider awareness that third person view gives me. I'd just miss too much.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    99% of the time in third person, because you get the full view of your environment, enemies, etc...only swich to first person when I want to observe some detail really close up, then back to third person
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First person is used only in rare cases that i can’t interact with something. But I swap right back afterwards so less than .00000xxx of the time
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    the POV is offset. I find it really annoying to look over my shoulder.

I hate this too. However, on the PC we can change the Offset of the Camera, both Vertically and Horizontally. I think the consoles should have this. I hope they have this.

But, if your on PC, fix the offset, it makes 3rd Person so so so so so much nicer

We do, on console you can adjust the horizontal and vertical
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First person is just for screenshots (for me at least)
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fish in first person
    PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • Pink_Violinz
    Pink_Violinz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat-wise I don't understand how anyone could play in first person. How do you not stand in every single AoE, know where/when the projectiles are coming out? I joke to my guild we should run a trial in first person and every single member refuses to even consider the idea.
  • Graydon
    Graydon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play in 3rd person.

Speak in 1st person.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well technically I very occasionally decorate in first person, almost exclusively when placing small objects, but aside from that - I prefer third person in general. even in games like later Fallouts and Skyrim. I just feel like first person limits my field of view too much.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kova wrote: »

I would totally be up for a 1st person pvp campaign. I'd bet it'd be nothing but stealth archers. Glorious

Honestly I think that would be great. Anybody ever play Chivalry: Medieval Warfare?

I'd like to see those 1vX pests do their rollerblading thing in first person :D
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I ride a mount, it is so fun to be as close to first person as I can get.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA