The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

About Battle Spirit

Ranger209
Ranger209
✭✭✭✭✭
The way Battle Spirit works is you get 5000 extra HP and all damage, healing, and shields are cut in half. Would it be an equivalent methodology to just double hp, add 10,000 to it, and not reduce damage, healing, and shields at all? Would combat results vary from what they currently are?

Example: A character has 20k raw hp before entering Cyrodiil.
Upon entering Cyrodiil that character gets a 5k health bonus for 25k hp
A 10,000 hp damage skill or heal or damage shield gets halved to 5,000 hp or 20% of the total hp

By doubling the raw health of 20k hp to 40k hp and adding 10k from battle spirit instead of 5k you arrive at 40k +10k or 50k hp
Now the 10,000 hp damage skill, heal, or shield is at full value of 10k or still 20% of the total hp

The reason I ask is that if they would in effect be equal, it would be possible to reduce 1 variable from every attack, heal, and shield in the game. I am looking for any and every way possible to increase performance, and while this may seem like a pittance anyone in a high volume business knows that pennies make dollars. I would say that ESO is a high volume calculation factory. I think they need to look in every conceivable nook and cranny to cut calculations down wherever they can. This may be a nook, no, it's probably a cranny. What the heck's a cranny?!?

Edited to add examples for clarity.
Edited by Ranger209 on February 16, 2018 1:26PM
  • jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's not the same. Assume
    your health pool is 20k + 5k = 25k
    healing spell heals for 10k, reduced by 50% to 5k
    this is 5/25 = 20% of your total health pool

Compare with
    your health pool is 20k + 10k = 30k
    healing spell heals for 10k
    this is 10/30 = 33% of your total health pool

Also, not all heals are affected by battle spirit. Because reasons. It's just an unholy mess. The only real solution would be to either balance all skills based on PVP and then design PVE around that, or have separate skills for PVP and PVE.
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are skills that scale off max health which would become OP.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ummm... I think it would have to be +5000 health and then %50 more health after that in order to have what you are suggesting. Or at least close to it
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jhharvest wrote: »
    No, it's not the same. Assume
    your health pool is 20k + 5k = 25k
    healing spell heals for 10k, reduced by 50% to 5k
    this is 5/25 = 20% of your total health pool

Compare with
    your health pool is 20k + 10k = 30k
    healing spell heals for 10k
    this is 10/30 = 33% of your total health pool

Also, not all heals are affected by battle spirit. Because reasons. It's just an unholy mess. The only real solution would be to either balance all skills based on PVP and then design PVE around that, or have separate skills for PVP and PVE.

Actually it would be 40k + 10k = 50k double your hp and add 10k
    and 10/50 = 20%

The skills based off health would be an issue, I know of a couple of shields.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get 5k extra health as a flat bonus. That's a huge bonus for squishy people (especially PVEers just popping into Cyrodiil with no idea of what they are facing, but also offensive-minded builds in medium armor among others) but progressively less important for anyone already building for high health. Sort of like how Ebon Armory's 1k health bonus is peanuts for the tank and potentially life-saving for the DPS.

Damage is cut in half so that we don't all die like we are made of glass. That's pretty important when burst damage is king in PVP. A well built ganker hits for nearly overwhelming burst damage already - with their damage cut in half. Destro ulti pain trains that just got the AOE caps removed? Yeah, I'm happy with their damage (and my damage as well) being cut in half. This really makes counterplay possible for anyone who doesn't build for high resistances and high health. Halved damage is what allows people to play the variety of builds they do in PVP.

Healing is cut in half so we don't feel like we are hitting with wet noodles. Healing is counterplay to damage taken and just like the damage taken is halved so we actually have time to get to heals, just so healing is halved so that we must heal or die. Battles between groups are often a race of incoming damage vs ability to heal (hence why stacking a bunch of Earthgore in a group makes certain battles frustrating, but I digress) and so those two things are reduced equally.

If you want an example, I run a stam warden in medium armor with 20k health currently in Cyrodiil. Very offensive, very squishy. That'how I want it. Under your system, I would have 25K health and take full damage from everything, but have full heals (assuming I survive the burst to reach my heals) and you all would hate my birds even more than some already do.

I don't think that's a good trade. I get a little extra health that still leaves me very vulnerable to gankers, except now I take full damage. Neither full heals nor full damage are going to help me when I'm dead. I would die a lot more than I do now. So in response, I'd be forced to get tanky. More health, more resistances...and I wouldn't be the only one doing that. You'd see a lot of build diversity start to dry up and PVP would become a lot more unforgiving as mistakes are harshly punished and that makes it pretty hard for new players to learn.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get 5k extra health as a flat bonus. That's a huge bonus for squishy people (especially PVEers just popping into Cyrodiil with no idea of what they are facing, but also offensive-minded builds in medium armor among others) but progressively less important for anyone already building for high health. Sort of like how Ebon Armory's 1k health bonus is peanuts for the tank and potentially life-saving for the DPS.

Damage is cut in half so that we don't all die like we are made of glass. That's pretty important when burst damage is king in PVP. A well built ganker hits for nearly overwhelming burst damage already - with their damage cut in half. Destro ulti pain trains that just got the AOE caps removed? Yeah, I'm happy with their damage (and my damage as well) being cut in half. This really makes counterplay possible for anyone who doesn't build for high resistances and high health. Halved damage is what allows people to play the variety of builds they do in PVP.

Healing is cut in half so we don't feel like we are hitting with wet noodles. Healing is counterplay to damage taken and just like the damage taken is halved so we actually have time to get to heals, just so healing is halved so that we must heal or die. Battles between groups are often a race of incoming damage vs ability to heal (hence why stacking a bunch of Earthgore in a group makes certain battles frustrating, but I digress) and so those two things are reduced equally.

If you want an example, I run a stam warden in medium armor with 20k health currently in Cyrodiil. Very offensive, very squishy. That'how I want it. Under your system, I would have 25K health and take full damage from everything, but have full heals (assuming I survive the burst to reach my heals) and you all would hate my birds even more than some already do.

I don't think that's a good trade. I get a little extra health that still leaves me very vulnerable to gankers, except now I take full damage. Neither full heals nor full damage are going to help me when I'm dead. I would die a lot more than I do now. So in response, I'd be forced to get tanky. More health, more resistances...and I wouldn't be the only one doing that. You'd see a lot of build diversity start to dry up and PVP would become a lot more unforgiving as mistakes are harshly punished and that makes it pretty hard for new players to learn.

Apparently my post isn't very clear. From your example You have 15k health and get 5k for battle spirit for 20 k. What I am saying is double the hp and add 10000 so you would have 30k hp +10k hp for 40k hp. i believe from a damage, healing, shielding vantage point they would work the same. In the end I am saying whatever your Cyrodiil hp is that would double and the other things would not be cut in half. By doubling your raw hp whatever that is, and doubling the 5k buff to 10k it should work out the same. Again the hp based skills may become op in pvp but then again you are still hitting for double the damage so they may be in line as well.

Added example to original post for clarity.
    Edited by Ranger209 on February 16, 2018 1:27PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    40k health is better than 25k health, sure. I missed the doubling part, fair enough.