The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

If you can do a normal trial are you ready for Veteran Dungeons?

Carcharodontosaurus
I have never done a veteran dungeon before, but this Tuesday I was invited to run normal Aetherial Archive with a bunch of randoms. We got through it pretty seamlessly, no wipes, and I personally didn't even die once. I even got that achievement on the second boss for dealing over 1 million dmg in a trial.
So, the question is, since I was able to do a trial, am I ready to do a veteran dungeon? I've been holding back from queuing since I've been really afraid of getting kicked for being a bad player. However, I really would like some of the rewards that come from a vet dungeon.
Currently, my main is a dps magicka nightblade altmer with about CP 260
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO best way to get ready for vet dungeons is by doing them. Some are easy, some are hard. Only way you'll know if you're ready is by doing them over and over until you learn the mechanics and stop dying. Don't think your performance on a normal trial says much about how good you'll do in a vet dungeon. Also keep in mind AA is probably the easiest trial.

Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Lotka
    Lotka
    ✭✭✭
    IMO just get the mechanics of the dungeons down. Like Falkreath and Bloodroot have more complicated mechanics and they just get more complicated with vet. Once you get those down, it's pie. I think it says on the group finder what level the dungeons become available at. I'd use that for difficulty levels. I recommend you make a dedicated healer and a dedicated crafter. Crafter to make decent food and gear for any your toons and healer to level up CP, learn the dungeons, pledges, and anything else that requires using the group finder. It takes FOREVER to get a dungeon in queue as a DPS or tank.
    Edited by Lotka on February 15, 2018 7:38PM
    PC NA Server
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh just jump into them. Go with a group of guildies or friends and tell them you're learning mechanics.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Aeph
    Aeph
    ✭✭✭
    I have just recently started vet dungeons, I can't say much about trials but if you've done the normal dungeons enough times to know the mechanics and can tackle them with no issues, you'll be fine in vet dungeons as long as everyone fulfils their role. Also finding a group through the activity finder gives you some extra buff. 25% Damage buff I think... whatever exact buff it is, it is useful. Even if you group up with friends / guildmates you can go via the activity finder and still get the buff.

If you're hoping to do a specific vet dungeon to acquire the monster mask you're after, the queue times can be pretty bad at times but if you're just wanting to get in there and see how you do, queue up and you'll be in one in about a minute. Best way to know if you're ready is to jump in and see how you do.
  • beetleklee
    beetleklee
    ✭✭✭✭
    It depends. I think some Vet Dungeons (typically DLC) are harder than normal trials. But Vet 'I' dungeons and some others can be easy.
    PC NA
    CP 690

EP Dunmer MagDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer MagSorc Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Argonian DK Tank Level 50, Boethiah's Scythe
    EP Breton Templar Healer Level 50
    EP Khajiit StamDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer Magblade Level 50, Assistant Alienist
    EP Argonian Stamden Level 50, Lady of Misrule (pvp)
    EP Dunmer Stamblade Level 50
    DC Redguard Stamplar
    AD Altmer Magwarden Healer

vMA, vDSA, vSO HM, vHRC HM, vAA, vAS+1, vMoL
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vet Dungeons tend to follow the old Zone Progression more so than the Normal ones which are all kind of the same in difficulty. So, Spindleclutch, Fungal Grotto, Banished Cells etc are going to be easier than say Tempest Island or Vaults of Madness or Direfrost Keep.

The II versions of the dungeons are a different story. Vet City of Ash II is one of the hardest dungeons in the game, more so to me than the Vet DLC dungeons. The other II versions are quite challenging too.

So, if your going to dip your toes, try to do the ones in the first two zones first, and avoid the II versions until you have some experience under your belt.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeph wrote: »
    you'll be fine in vet dungeons as long as everyone fulfils their role. Also finding a group through the activity finder gives you some extra buff.

With regards to the Roles. While you can get away with 4 DPS for most normal dungeons, you have to have the 3 roles present and knowing what they are doing or you will wipe more than you want to for Vet, especially Vet II.

I have never noticed the extra Buff. I do notice the 100K of Experience though. I will have to look at the character sheet next time, but I think the extra EXP is all you get.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do Vet Dungeons if you have 17k HP and find most normal dungeons to be suuuuuper boring because they are too easy.

Normal Trials are very different and really can't compare. Normal Trials are usually just stack in a big group and kill the boss. Very few mechanics you actually have to worry about. Vet Dungeons are all about following mechanics.
    Edited by s7732425ub17_ESO on February 16, 2018 12:35AM
  • Lotka
    Lotka
    ✭✭✭
    If you do vet, make sure you queue for what you are (dps, healer, tank). If you are a tank and die instantly in the first mob...you might get kicked or die and be left while everyone else fights. It's too hard to keep rezing people when they can't hold their weight, sometimes. That's not people trying to be a ***. It's just kind of ridiculous to keep rezing people sometimes (and risk dying in the process.).
    Edited by Lotka on February 16, 2018 2:30PM
    PC NA Server
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not necessarily. One shouldn’t measure to determine the other.

I know it sounds odd but maybe peek into the other dungeon and trials forum section topics for more context.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on February 16, 2018 2:55PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501