The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Help Me Switch To PC (CPU Question)

Vapirko
Vapirko
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I’m on Mac currently but am looking into getting a pc desktop. I’ve heard a lot about how ESO is optimized for single thread cpu performance so I’m curious what I should be on the lookout for when it comes to CPUs and if anyone has suggestions on which ones work best. Thanks!
  • jubilante
    jubilante
    No idea about whether its optimized for single thread, but in general most things use parallel processing only lightly, or so I hear. Having 8 cores is really only great when you want to manually divide which processes run on which cores. At that point you can actually see some gains when you're running a lot of software. However if you're not streaming + playing + other software in the background, I'd say the amount of cores you have is not a huge concern.

Anyway I'm not an expert, but as far as CPU recommendations, Intel chips are considered the industry best. They do come at a slightly higher price point, but are generally worth it.

I5 4-core is the best bang-for-your-buck CPU. It'll run all games plenty fine. General pricing is around 250 US$, +/-

If you want to splurge, the I7 is the way to go, but those will be around 330.

In the end it just comes to your budget and needs though. I've had other processor brands that were fine.

• sdtlc
    sdtlc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to Intel the spectre fixed cpus will be out in around a year, if you can than wait.
    Die Qualität verhält sich nicht zwingend proportional zur Masse...

Meisterangler vor dem perfekten Rogen...
    +Kaiserstadt, Wrothgar, Hew's Fluch, Goldküste, Vvardenfell, Stadt der Uhrwerke, Sommersend, Artaeum, Trübmoor, Elsweyr (nördliches & südliches), Graumoor, Reik, Dunkelforst

[PC][DC]Zunft der Helden[PvX]
    Feierabendgilde mit Ambitionen
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    I’m on Mac currently but am looking into getting a pc desktop. I’ve heard a lot about how ESO is optimized for single thread cpu performance so I’m curious what I should be on the lookout for when it comes to CPUs and if anyone has suggestions on which ones work best. Thanks!

The game is not optimized for single core use but the heavy activity of the game is not multi-thread and uses one core. Some light secondary load is taken care of by multiple cores it seems but not much.

Get the latest generation and fastest clocked core you can get. If you are into OC then do that. A decent GPU helps but I have yet to see a GPU get a heavy workload in this game.

BTW, I would not be surprised if some of this changes. Zos has made moves during the past year to remove support for the older generation of Direct 7, dual core AMD CPUs and 32 bit systems. The reasoning could only be so they can take advantage of what better systems can handle and hopefully this would mean good multi-threading for the game as a whole. Hopefully.
    Edited by idk on February 15, 2018 2:04PM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, thanks everyone. I’ve just heard about some people getting good systems and still having crap performance and wanted to avoid that.
  • Ethoir
    Ethoir
    ✭✭✭
    Most games are optimized for single-threaded performance. Where higher clock speeds and IPCs (instructions per clock) are more important. This is where Intel CPUs excel.

Most programs on the other hand are multi-threading enabled. Especially workstation applications like Adobe Premier. This is where AMD CPU's can flex their silicon muscles (usually).

But to answer the question, you want to look for a CPU that first fits your budget and needs. I went with Ryzen since I do video editing and gaming on the same machine. If it was gaming and nothing but gaming, I'd have saved up the extra cash for an Intel CPU (and compatible motherboard).
    Edited by Ethoir on February 15, 2018 2:41PM
    Participant in the Sanguine's Tester beta group since November 2013.
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    High end, high ghz, four core Ryzen should suffice and will be cheaper than the Intel equivalent. Since multithreading in this game is so bad, you don’t need eight cores.
  • Ethoir
    Ethoir
    ✭✭✭
    Peekachu99 wrote: »
    High end, high ghz, four core Ryzen should suffice and will be cheaper than the Intel equivalent. Since multithreading in this game is so bad, you don’t need eight cores.

You don't even need six. However, a Ryzen 5 chip is generally the sweet spot to most people for an AMD gaming PC. The Ryzen 3 1300X doesn't have multi-threading, but its an excellent value for an entry level chip and should be plenty powerful for games. The Ryzen 5 1600 is also an excellent value if you plan to have more things going on in the background while you are gaming.

But here's the thing. Ryzen CPU performance largely depends on what speed your DDR4 memory is rated for. Faster is better, though Ryzen motherboards are not yet ready to handle 3000+ MHz RAM.

You also need a good GPU. A Ryzen 3 1300 can do just fine with a Radeon RX 580. A Ryzen 5 1600 works best with a faster GPU like a GTX 1070 or better. But good luck getting a decent GPU anywhere close to MSRP any time soon. Cryptocurrency miners are still inflating the GPU market prices beyond what's "reasonable" for gamers on a budget.
    Edited by Ethoir on February 16, 2018 2:44AM
    Participant in the Sanguine's Tester beta group since November 2013.
  • Ozium
    Ozium
    ✭✭✭
    for budget box i3 or i5 would suffice, try https://www.reddit.com/r/buildmeapc/