The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

This is how broken the algorythm behind master writ system is

supaskrub
supaskrub
✭✭✭✭✭
I have 14 characters, of which only 1 of these characters has 9 traits in all 3 major crafting skills and around 90% of all styles learned. This character gets master writs regularly of 5/6/7 vouchers with the occasional one in the 40's. Today I did my daily clothing on a character with no traits researched and only clothing at level 50 and only blue racial styles learned and this character gets a master clothing writ for 74 vouchers... yes 74 vouchers.. Discuss!

@ZOS_GinaBruno
Edited by supaskrub on February 15, 2018 10:34AM
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you get a nice writ one time on a char that "doesn't deserve it" and think you can deduce something from it?

I came here to get an actual insight on the algorythm behind the system. Instead I had to read whining about RNG.
  • supaskrub
    supaskrub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you get a nice writ one time on a char that "doesn't deserve it" and think you can deduce something from it?

I came here to get an actual insight on the algorythm behind the system. Instead I had to read whining about RNG.

Sure it doesn't deserve it when compared to my main crafter (or others that i have with supposedly better chances of receiving higher value master writs.. So are you saying it does deserve it?.. and you know the algorythm is supposedly the more traits researched + styles learned = supposedly better chances of master writs and with higher rewards.

If the character I refer to had received a master writ voucher for 5/6/7 vouchers it would not be an issue. So instead of a half arsed reply that added nothing to the issue why not contribute something constructive to the thread instead of trying to be a smart arse.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uff... Okay. Since the system was released:

How many writs did you looted on your crafter? And how many vouchers were they worth?
    How many writs did you looted on one of your non-crafters? And how many vouchers were they worth?

Are you aware what RNG is? It's not like "you get X items from Y tries of a specific action", it's more like "you have X chance every time you do that specific action".

From your post alone it seems like you got one big writ only on your non crafter. So what's the big deal? I've run some dungeons 100 times and didn't get what I wanted, while my partner did it once and recieved that specific item. That's the way of the RNG. It's stupid and we all hate it. But from one occassion alone you are not able to reveal a whole algorythm.
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on February 15, 2018 11:05AM
  • supaskrub
    supaskrub
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How many writs did you looted on your crafter? And how many vouchers were they worth?
    How many writs did you looted on one of your non-crafters? And how many vouchers were they worth?

Are you aware what RNG is? It's not like "you get X items from Y tries of a specific action", it's more like "you have X chance every time you do that specific action".

From your post alone it seems like you got one big writ only on your non crafter. So what's the big deal? I've run some dungeons 100 times and didn't get what I wanted, while my partner did it once and recieved that specific item. That's the way of the RNG. It's stupid and we all hate it. But from one occassion alone you are not able to reveal a whole algorythm.

Because its like this.. It is stated that the more motifs (ie full books only that you have learned) AND traits that you have researched on a particular character increases your chances of higher value master writs and the frequency of writs. Now the character in question has not one single qualifying factor (other than 10 skill points into clothing at level 50), only full style books learned are the blue racials which DO NOT qualify for inclusion in the algorythm. There is not 1 single trait researched, not 1 single full purple (or gold) style book learned. Other characters that I have do indeed have more qualifying factors and yet struggle to get voucher values above 7, but on occasion do get higher. Also consider this another crafter of mine that has a few traits researched (and its probably 2-3 per item piece) and around 40% of qualifying styles learned still consistently receives master writs with a higher value than my main crafter which has far more qualifying points. Infact that one has received the highest value master writ I have ever had.

Now onto the point of rng, rng decides firstly whether you receive a master writ and then using criteria decides by rng what value writ to award.. There is NO qualifying criteria on the character that influences higher value writs,
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, qualifications from researched traits and fully learned styles raise your chance to recieve a writ or a higher number of vouchers on a writ.
    But as it seems the base chance to recieve a writ in the first place, even without any qualifying options is not 0. And also the base chance to have that writ carry a high number on vouchers (again without any qualifications) is also higher than 0.

My guess is that you just got very lucky on your non-crafters and that you have bad luck on your crafters. In the end you also have to take a look on how consistent you recieve vouchers/writs on your crafters and non crafters. Even X times low vouchers add up over time.

However, RNG is not the bright side of this game. If you want to make a real conclusion you need far more data. Although I can understand it feels disappointing to have better rewards from non-crafters.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Traits researched and styles known for armor and weapons, properties discovered for alchemy ingredients, runes translated for enchanting and recipes known for provisioning, all contribute to the chance of getting a writ, but they seem to have little influence on its voucher value. Also I've heard that investing more points in that skill line and various misc achievements for that crafting trade may increase the chance as well, but I haven't seen any confirmation for this. Also I'd rather get multiple lower value master writs since they have better cost/writ. Those over 60 usually require gold tempers, which are about 10x more expensive than purple, and you need twice as many. So I really don't complain about that.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • SolidusPrime
    SolidusPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel the same way. Writ drops have been broken for a long time now. My crafters that know absolutely no motifs, no purples recipes etc find just as many writs just as frequently as my guy that has lots of 14/14 motifs, purple recipes, etc. There is no difference.

There were people talking in chat the other day, saying that this patch was supposed to start accurately calculating your known recipes and stuff. I haven't seen that anywhere official though.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    supaskrub wrote: »

Because its like this.. It is stated that the more motifs (ie full books only that you have learned) AND traits that you have researched on a particular character increases your chances of higher value master writs and the frequency of writs. Now the character in question has not one single qualifying factor (other than 10 skill points into clothing at level 50), only full style books learned are the blue racials which DO NOT qualify for inclusion in the algorythm. There is not 1 single trait researched, not 1 single full purple (or gold) style book learned. Other characters that I have do indeed have more qualifying factors and yet struggle to get voucher values above 7, but on occasion do get higher. Also consider this another crafter of mine that has a few traits researched (and its probably 2-3 per item piece) and around 40% of qualifying styles learned still consistently receives master writs with a higher value than my main crafter which has far more qualifying points. Infact that one has received the highest value master writ I have ever had.

Now onto the point of rng, rng decides firstly whether you receive a master writ and then using criteria decides by rng what value writ to award.. There is NO qualifying criteria on the character that influences higher value writs,

But you're just demonstrating that you really don't understand RNG. Hint: it's *random.* Probability means nothing with a sample size of one.

You honestly think this was worth tagging a ZOS employee over? Because you got lucky and got a high value writ on a low level crafter?

Jesus.
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I highly doubt that the number of styles or traits a character knows plays a role. It's only your level of crafting in that skill line that makes a difference. If you are max level in that skill line, your master writ drop rate is maxed. ...then it's all rng after that, and we all know what rng is like in this game.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cavedog wrote: »
    I highly doubt that the number of styles or traits a character knows plays a role. It's only your level of crafting in that skill line that makes a difference. If you are max level in that skill line, your master writ drop rate is maxed. ...then it's all rng after that, and we all know what rng is like in this game.

No, when the writ system was release a ZoS employee posted that motif knowledge raised your chances of getting a clothing/blacksmith/woodworker writ, as did purple food/drink recipe for provisioning.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No matter how many traits or books you´ve researched, you can never affect how many vouchers a writ will be. Motif knowledge and traits researched and stuff like that only affects your chance of getting a master-writ.
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed the same.
    On my main crafter with 7-8 traits researched (a couple of 9th traits are in progress) and ~40% motifs known, I'm getting master writs more often, but they are 5-7 vouchers worth mostly.
    On my secondary crafter with 5-7 traits researched and only blue racial motifs known, I'm getting less master writs, but I'm getting 40+ vouchers worth writs on this character more often.
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
  • Fleshreaper
    Fleshreaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 14 characters, of which only 1 of these characters has 9 traits in all 3 major crafting skills and around 90% of all styles learned. This character gets master writs regularly of 5/6/7 vouchers with the occasional one in the 40's. Today I did my daily clothing on a character with no traits researched and only clothing at level 50 and only blue racial styles learned and this character gets a master clothing writ for 74 vouchers... yes 74 vouchers.. Discuss!

@ZOS_GinaBruno

You do know you can transfer that master writ over to your main, right? As long as you don't open it.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ZOS has NEVER said that when getting a Master Crafting writ having a max crafter/max motif character the chances of getting a higher value writ would increase. They only said it would increase your chances of getting a MCW. Having said that, I’m still dubious of their claim. I have a max level character that has all motif’s learned in the game except two and still doesn’t receive MCW’s any more often than my other crafters who hardly know any motif’s. If there is an increase, it’s probably something like a 5% increase of 5% chance in getting one in the first place. Figure the math on that one :)

• monktoasty
    monktoasty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has a point though. Yea his lesser crafter got lucky..but seemingly luckier than his way better crafter.

I honestly think zos is missing somwthing when it comes to rng and chances

Edited by monktoasty on February 15, 2018 3:12PM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Because its like this.. It is stated that the more motifs (ie full books only that you have learned) AND traits that you have researched on a particular character increases your chances of higher value master writs and the frequency of writs,

So....RNGjesus blessed you, and you are complaining....?

Feel free to send that unholy master writ to me.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    from personal experience, system is incredibly broken. i have noticed that the more my master crafter learned, the fewer writs she got. nowadays, when i do get writs (which is not often) i mostly get them on alts that know only basic mofits and have zero research done.

my master crafter with everything but wormcult researched? essentially gets nothing. and Dragon bones patch hasn't changed that at all. i would chalk it up to my awful rng, except this seems to be prevailing experience of multiple creafters that I'm guilded with, across several guilds.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno

holy ***, why am i trying so hard to max all my crafting lines?
    "The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
    Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pfft the highest I've ever gotten was 21. Be thankful you got a writ for 74. It's RNG. It happens that you get lucky every now and then.
  • jaye63
    jaye63
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im sorry but I put in the year to get 9 traited, went thru all of the materials and gathered all of the recipes and materials - THAT was the time for MWs that gave 2-7 vouchers. It's insulting that I dont regularly get master writs that have 50+ voucher rewards. ESPECIALLY considering I spent real $$ on the cooldowns.

Your faux arguments against that are just you being trolls for fun to jerk people's chains. And on top of that, since I am capped in all 6 crafts and have all but 5 motifs complete, I should be getting AT LEAST 2 MWs a day not 1 or 2 every week or so. I've gone more than 2 weeks without seeing one drop. TOTAL BS.

EDIT: And the Recipes for food/drink and furniture... NEVER seen one better than green. Another BS situation. The RNG is TOTALLY F'd up.
    Edited by jaye63 on February 15, 2018 3:36PM
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry to say it, but there is no algodings behind it, it is just RNG
    and nothing more
    sometimes I get 7 days nothing (doing it on a daily basis with 3 chars, 1 max crafter, 2 nonas)
    and then I get mostly on the nonas, but also on mastercrafter on one day 4-5 writs total, and every now and then, 3 times amonth, you get something big, but I can´t see a rule that this is connected to the status of my char, will say it has nothing to do if it is a mastercrafter or just a bobo
    and the rate is below zero
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One outlier doth not an algorithm make.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaye63 wrote: »
    Im sorry but I put in the year to get 9 traited, went thru all of the materials and gathered all of the recipes and materials - THAT was the time for MWs that gave 2-7 vouchers. It's insulting that I dont regularly get master writs that have 50+ voucher rewards. ESPECIALLY considering I spent real $$ on the cooldowns.

Your faux arguments against that are just you being trolls for fun to jerk people's chains. And on top of that, since I am capped in all 6 crafts and have all but 5 motifs complete, I should be getting AT LEAST 2 MWs a day not 1 or 2 every week or so. I've gone more than 2 weeks without seeing one drop. TOTAL BS.

EDIT: And the Recipes for food/drink and furniture... NEVER seen one better than green. Another BS situation. The RNG is TOTALLY F'd up.

So you're saying you prefer P2W? :trollface:
  • Gorgoneus
    Gorgoneus
    ✭✭✭
    Of course the drop chance is broken, do you really belive ZOS competent enough to create such difficult scheme as learned styles and unlocked achievements augments your chances to get MWV? THey even cant fix some old essential bugs like invisible team mates and lot of other stuff people complain here, but make a working machanic for wrints drop rate? With all new crafting achievement marked as drop reliable for this mechanic? Many MMOS hase a free formulas for different game mechanics people can see and calculate for their characters, but here we have only stat/dps formulas and nothing about vrit's drop, you know why? Because there is no formulas for it. Same rng as purple recipes and purple/gold furniture in treasure chests and containers I never saw.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only way to shore up against randomness is to throw big numbers at it. For example I'm doing ordinary writs on 10 characters every day - quite easy with addons - and I average roughly ~1.5K vouchers a month. 80-85% of those are contained in <100 voucher writs and a 35-40% in <10 alchemy and epic enchanting ones.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • electromagnets
    electromagnets
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing broken is the way you spelled algorithm.
  • electromagnets
    electromagnets
    ✭✭✭
    jaye63 wrote: »

Sounds like maybe putting in a year to manage your expectations could help. This is Zos we’re talking about afterall...
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Cavedog wrote: »

No, when the writ system was release a ZoS employee posted that motif knowledge raised your chances of getting a clothing/blacksmith/woodworker writ, as did purple food/drink recipe for provisioning.

You should find that post and read it more carefully.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NEW FEATURES / UPDATES / BIG CHANGES

Master Crafting Writs
    Maximum-tier Writ reward boxes for all tradeskills now have a chance to provide a special invitation to craft a very specific item or set of items.
    These invitations may require any materials or knowledge associated with the tradeskill, even if you don’t yet possess it.
    These invitations are tradeable, consumable, and indicate the number of Writ Vouchers awarded upon successful completion of the contract.
    The frequency of Master Writ invites from standard Writ boxes is based on the overall associated tradeskill mastery possessed by the character.
    This includes research, Motif knowledge, and achievement completion.

^^^ From Homestead patch notes....

Who can do Master Writs?

Not just anyone! Master Writs are meant specifically for masters – they require specific sets, or specific crafting styles, that not everyone has access to. Further, Master Writs are only awarded to players completing the hardest normal crafting Writs, and are more common when you have a lot of dedication. For example, Blacksmithing, Woodworking, and Clothier Master Writs are more common if you've done a lot of difficult research; Provisioning Master Writs are more common when you've learned a lot of difficult recipes; Enchanting Master Writs are more common when you've translated a lot of runes; and Alchemy Master Writs are more common when you've fully identified a lot of herbs. The more you've done in that tradeskill, the better your odds on each normal Writ you complete.

^^^ From Homestead Guide: Master Writs blog article

Edits for clarification.
    Edited by Feric51 on February 16, 2018 2:48PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)