Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Newb question about armor.

RumpRoast71
Been playing since x-mas. My main is a wood elf stam warden at level 45. Right now I'm running 4 medium rangers gait with all rangers jelwery. Head is light and chest is medium. My question is when should I get into crafted sets? Or is Rangers Gait good for a DW/bow StamDen? And then what would be the best armor for my toon?

I'm still figuring ESO out. Getting better and have made several normal dungeon runs as a dps so far. Also, what ;evel should I be to start running harder dungeons? Is it possible now?

And any general info or advice is welcome. I'm on Xbox ( If anyone has an interest )

thanks,
Rump
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you started lvling crafting at all? if not I would def at least start doing that, personally i usually run 1 set crafted 1 drop set ( i mainly play magicka based toons though, but i wouldnt be surprised if it goes the same for stam )
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • RumpRoast71
    W0lf_z13 wrote: »
    have you started lvling crafting at all? if not I would def at least start doing that, personally i usually run 1 set crafted 1 drop set ( i mainly play magicka based toons though, but i wouldnt be surprised if it goes the same for stam )

I have been researching and have crafted a couple of lvl 1 pieces. I've learned a couple of styles too. Nothing fancy. I'm trying to get my embroidery up so I can craft better sets. I have about 3 or 4 traits learned so far.

thanks for the reply.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafted gear is a great combo with dropped gear. Very few of my toons use 2 dropped set. Most are 1 drop, 1 craft set. There are builds that require 2 dropped sets and you can go this way later but to get started for sure you need a solid crafted set so you can start building your character.

I am on XBOX NA and will be more than happy to answer questions if you have them while playing or here.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    First, you don't have any benefits for running more than 5 pieces from a 5 piece set, second, Ranger's Gait is a rather niche set. It is good for PvP - due to snare protection - but for PvE, not that much. Second, don't worry much about your setup until you hit the gear level cap which is CP160. Every piece of gear you get and it's lower than that becomes obsolete rather fast, because as you level the bonuses it gives decrease due to scaling. For example it's more important to have level 40+ jewels and gear at level 45, than equip a full set.

If you plan on PvE a good starter setup at CP160 would be 5 Spriggan's Thorns (overland set, Bangkorai) 5 Hunding's Rage (crafted, 6 traits) and Kra'gh (Fungal Grotto 1: Head & Maj's Undaunted Chest: shoulder). As you get more experienced and run veteran dungeons you can then progress to trials, and get Vicious Serpent (all 3 Craglorn trials) and Twice-Fanged Snake (Sanctum Ophidia). Then start doing veteran Maelstrom and veteran trials for even better gear. Also gaining CP part the gear cap, improves your stats, damage done and mitigation, but you get most of the benefits at about CP300 when the attribute bonuses cap out at 20%. Then you can keep adding them up to the cap, which at the moment is 720, but you will only gain ~5% damage done and mitigation, due to the fact CP is heavily front loaded.

So progression in this game is only level based at the very start, but past the cap it becomes skill based, with the best sets being locked behind harder content.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • RumpRoast71
    Defilted wrote: »
    Crafted gear is a great combo with dropped gear. Very few of my toons use 2 dropped set. Most are 1 drop, 1 craft set. There are builds that require 2 dropped sets and you can go this way later but to get started for sure you need a solid crafted set so you can start building your character.

I am on XBOX NA and will be more than happy to answer questions if you have them while playing or here.

Thanks. I'm on NA also. I mainly play really early mornings before work (3-4am eastern til about 6am)
  • RumpRoast71
    Asardes wrote: »
    First, you don't have any benefits for running more than 5 pieces from a 5 piece set, second, Ranger's Gait is a rather niche set. It is good for PvP - due to snare protection - but for PvE, not that much. Second, don't worry much about your setup until you hit the gear level cap which is CP160. Every piece of gear you get and it's lower than that becomes obsolete rather fast, because as you level the bonuses it gives decrease due to scaling. For example it's more important to have level 40+ jewels and gear at level 45, than equip a full set.

If you plan on PvE a good starter setup at CP160 would be 5 Spriggan's Thorns (overland set, Bangkorai) 5 Hunding's Rage (crafted, 6 traits) and Kra'gh (Fungal Grotto 1: Head & Maj's Undaunted Chest: shoulder). As you get more experienced and run veteran dungeons you can then progress to trials, and get Vicious Serpent (all 3 Craglorn trials) and Twice-Fanged Snake (Sanctum Ophidia). Then start doing veteran Maelstrom and veteran trials for even better gear. Also gaining CP part the gear cap, improves your stats, damage done and mitigation, but you get most of the benefits at about CP300 when the attribute bonuses cap out at 20%. Then you can keep adding them up to the cap, which at the moment is 720, but you will only gain ~5% damage done and mitigation, due to the fact CP is heavily front loaded.

So progression in this game is only level based at the very start, but past the cap it becomes skill based, with the best sets being locked behind harder content.

Thanks for that info.I mainly PVE right now. Been doing a some normal dungeon runs with a Pug to get better at my rotations and such. I've pvp'ed a little. A couple of battlegrounds and some non Cp cyrodill. Might need to take a trip to Bangkorai.