The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Sorry Console - Outfits UI sucks

CaffeinatedMayhem
CaffeinatedMayhem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Heads up console users - the Outfits UI on controller sucks, badly. I've been trying to use it and can't even get it to work. Luckily, I'm on PC and can switch to the keyboard version, which works great.

I hope ZOS made the console UI better than PC/gamepad, but if not, be prepared for a ton of frustration.

Gonna post pics in a moment.
Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on February 13, 2018 4:00PM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is what you see when you open up the outfit station - looks nice ya?

uLh0LAf.jpg

So, select something and... it will look like nothing happens. Oh, you can move the selector around! Yesterday the selector was super dim, so took me a while to see what was selected. NOTE! The Keyboard UI has a filter light/medium/heavy... gamepad does not, have to move all the way to the top to drop down the search function.

For Dyes - open up and hit select again... and you will wonder why all the armor is greyed out. Yeah, you have to go select a dye color, THEN move back to the armor list.

DcVPxmL.jpg

hzQS8Ok.jpg

As a PC user this is 100% backwards from the keyboard UI and rather unintuitive. But, there it is. Lots of scrolling, LOTS AND LOTS of scrolling. Yesterday the selector movement was horribly slow, so I switched to the keyboard menu. Today it's a little faster. Either way, the keyboard UI you'll see in all the guides is much easier and direct to work with.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on February 13, 2018 4:16PM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh - if you want to check what color a piece of the outfit is currently dyed? Can't. It is impossible to select a dye slot without first selecting another dye. This is possible in keyboard UI.

Hey ZOS - please pretty please - can you make Console UI as functional a Keyboard? Please? Yeah, it works, but it sucks to be denied features for no discernable reason.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. Yeah...I was kinda expecting this, considering how clunky the dye station interface on console was.

Incidentally, I actually played on PC last night. Was interested in trying out more of the level-up system and getting my free coffer - I have multiple characters on PC that are still below level 18 (none on console, however, so will only have access to 330 storage slots since I'm not deleting years of work or giving ZOS another 1500 crowns).

Anywho...it was kinda funny to see the mass of players around all the outfit stations. Reminded me of when dyeing armor was first introduced. I think it will be fun to play around with my free outfit slot, but there is no way I'm paying 1500 crowns for an additional outfit slot for just one character.

If I do end up playing around with the outfit system on PC, I may just stick to the gamepad interface, since I don't wanna get used to the better PC interface before playing on console. :)
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was expecting this too, looks pretty similar to the dying UI, which is clunky af.
    I play on PS4 too.
    So there isn't any name for the type of gear you are choosing, like "glass helmet" in medium section, just the visual look?
    Still better than the crappy little picture we get when crafting though.

Fyi on console to go up and down sections you press L2,R2. I would expect going from the light, medium, heavy sections to be the same rather than scrolling, just like everything else on the crappy skyrim imitation UI
    Edited by Stinkyremy on February 14, 2018 8:52AM
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm on PC and use an xbox controller. Once I figured out how the outfitter worked, I didn't have any problems using it. But I have no idea how it works with mouse and keyboard so I have nothing to compare the controller to.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @stinkyremy - there's a description in the left sidebar that I didn't show, will get a pic later. It covers up all the armor slots.

This is the single advantage over the keyboard UI - it's blatently clear not only what you are looking at,and the cost is in large text at the bottom.

It's just clunky, and annoying. Works, but since I have a choice, I won't be using it. :(
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah from your description i can just see how clunky its going to be. I won't be touching this when it comes to console for at least a few weeks anyways. Seeing all the problems folks on PC are having bar-swapping issues I have to believe this is something related to the new weapon textures having to load or something of the sort.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    Yeah from your description i can just see how clunky its going to be. I won't be touching this when it comes to console for at least a few weeks anyways. Seeing all the problems folks on PC are having bar-swapping issues I have to believe this is something related to the new weapon textures having to load or something of the sort.

The bar swapping issues are hilarious though! My husband spent all last night looking like he was punching NPC's with Desto staff abilities, while his staff was still on his back!

Almost as funny as when I froze during a Tribunes battle, and when I got back all the players were still dead, and sailing along the floor as they ran our. When they mounted the horse was lying on the ground too! That's a classic TES bug. :)
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on February 14, 2018 4:21PM
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

The bar swapping issues are hilarious though! My husband spent all alst night looking like he was punching NPC's with Desto staff abilities, while his staff was still on his back!

Almost as funny as when I froze during a Tribunes battle, and when I got back all the players were still dead, and sailing along the floor as they ran our. When they mounted the horse was lying on the ground too! That's a classic TES bug. :)

Ah yeah the game telling you that people are dead when they really aren't is a good one. Watching their dead horse drag them around at top speed is funny.

There is a new one in Cyrodiil i noticed where sometimes when i go to revive an ally they will be upside-down with their head in the ground and their legs waving in the air.
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're assuming Console Ui is the same as PC UI.
    PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gamepad UI often times is very close but to your point it’s not the same.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on February 15, 2018 1:47AM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Gamepad UI often times is very close but to your point it’s not the same.

OMG! OH NOES WHAT HAVE I DONE???? Let me take this down, YOU CAN SPLIT HAIRS AND FIND FAULT!!!!

In case you missed it above.... /s
  • TylerB
    TylerB
    Soul Shriven

I'd say that's a pretty good assumption since the alternative would be that ZOS is spending time and money to make the PC Gamepad UI worse than the Console UI, which doesn't make sense from a developer standpoint. Plus the fact that the PC Gamepad UI was directly ported from the Console UI, which is why it came out a little after.
  • Nakiki92
    Nakiki92
    ✭✭
    As far I can see the wont change a lot, what you are describing is on console is pretty much the same as you are having it now. We select the colour with the D-Pad (not sure how it's called on PS4) then we need our right stick to rotate to the desired amour slot and hit A or X to select to make it colourful.

If you are used to some different way to do this I can understand your frustration, but give it some time, you either get used to it or they might fix it for more ease. Don't forget, this new system is just in it's child shoes and needs to grow to become good.

P.s
    I am loving that outfit of yours, including the colour combination you used, which style or outfit is that?
    CP 810+ XboX One - Europe Server
    Dominion Stamblade - Nakiki
    Ebonheart Templar/Healer - ZanuZika

Playstation 4 - Europe Server CP 116
    Dominion Nightblade - Zanuki
  • SillyPlay
    SillyPlay
    ✭✭
    Using a controller on pc. Seems ok to me for the most part, then again I hate the pc regular UI