The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are Templars just not in a good spot right now? Returning player feeling lost.

Tizerak
Tizerak
✭✭✭
Been away for a year, been leveling an Argonian NB healer for something fresh coming back to the game.

Yesterday I felt like trying my Tankplar again after a year (probably should have not done it on patch day with everyone queuing for the new dungeon). I looked at https://alcasthq.com/eso-templar-tank-build-pve/ and made adjustments, took a deep breath, and tried random dungeon finder for the daily. The results were disheartening.

The first boss did something for 55k damage and one shot me, the trolls in the trash packs absolutely wrecked me. It felt awful, shameful, I felt so useless.
I quickly took the net to find information and a lot of what I found were complaints within the past half year about: Bad sustain, javelin pointless, magplars/stamplars/tankplars suck, focused charge buggy/bad, no CC like DK talons, templars sacrificed for wardens, spear shards stun removed, solar flare empower useless, eclipse useless, cleansing ritual costs too much, restoring aura nerfed, etc.

I'm not up to snuff on the current meta as far as target HP/stam/magicka, physical/spell resistance, etc. My templar is a Redguard, 5p ebony/plague doctor, 2p engine guardian, 250+ CP (probably low by today's standards from what it was a year ago).

Is now just not a good time to be playing Templar?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    55k one shot shouldn't be happening regardless of class.

That's either something you were meant to block, dodge or use a mechanic on. DK and Warden are the best tanks currently but for veteran dungeons any class should be able to tank with the correct build, mechanics knowledge.

Templar has had a lot of hits in recent times and the forums are full of all the negativity surrounding it but it's not dead in regards to tanking.

When it comes to end game vet trials there are more arguments to be made about how good a class is and that's where the DK/Warden is much preferred.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think you just got hit by a one shot and didnt block. on a positive note, it can only go up from here as you find out more about the dungeon's mechanics and such (im assuming its dlc dungeon as usually those are the ones with really hurtful one shot mechanics )

Certain templar abilities are not as useful as it was a year ago in terms of tanking but some tips:

The Shield ult can be your best friend in 4mans and in boss fights that require more block than usual. they allow you to maintain resource sustain much more easily than other abilities.

Since Repentance can only be used on corpses, i recommend changing that up when going against a boss. Even something like Bone Shield might help mitigate some damage while you HA on an off balanced boss.

I'm guessing with the sets that you have you are going for high health build. do ensure you have enough resistances to mitigate at least 35-45% of the damage (this amounts up to 25-30k resistance, i think im wrong but those are the numbers that are at the top of my head right now ) resistance plays a much much more important role post dragonbones as Block cost are affected right now.

i find Lord Warden set to be much more useful than the guardian set, but ive tried Swarm Mother's too for some crowd control, as Templars are notoriously bad at it.

A magicka based templar tank is much better than stam as far as i can tell but i could be wrong. its no harm trying it out though and compare the results.

Hope this helps!
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    55k one shot shouldn't be happening regardless of class.

That's either something you were meant to block, dodge or use a mechanic on. DK and Warden are the best tanks currently but for veteran dungeons any class should be able to tank with the correct build, mechanics knowledge.

Templar has had a lot of hits in recent times and the forums are full of all the negativity surrounding it but it's not dead in regards to tanking.

When it comes to end game vet trials there are more arguments to be made about how good a class is and that's where the DK/Warden is much preferred.

This is correct. However, for tanking purposes, Morrowind and it's changes to shards had the biggest impact on Templars. I cannot think of something with damage taken that would have hindered Templars.
  • Tizerak
    Tizerak
    ✭✭✭
    RavenSworn wrote: »
    i think you just got hit by a one shot and didnt block. on a positive note, it can only go up from here as you find out more about the dungeon's mechanics and such (im assuming its dlc dungeon as usually those are the ones with really hurtful one shot mechanics )

Certain templar abilities are not as useful as it was a year ago in terms of tanking but some tips:

The Shield ult can be your best friend in 4mans and in boss fights that require more block than usual. they allow you to maintain resource sustain much more easily than other abilities.

Since Repentance can only be used on corpses, i recommend changing that up when going against a boss. Even something like Bone Shield might help mitigate some damage while you HA on an off balanced boss.

I'm guessing with the sets that you have you are going for high health build. do ensure you have enough resistances to mitigate at least 35-45% of the damage (this amounts up to 25-30k resistance, i think im wrong but those are the numbers that are at the top of my head right now ) resistance plays a much much more important role post dragonbones as Block cost are affected right now.

i find Lord Warden set to be much more useful than the guardian set, but ive tried Swarm Mother's too for some crowd control, as Templars are notoriously bad at it.

A magicka based templar tank is much better than stam as far as i can tell but i could be wrong. its no harm trying it out though and compare the results.

Hope this helps!

I was hoping that’s what it was it being some new mechanic, it was just weird since I didn’t see a projectile or anything on the ground. Didn’t help that the people I was with both times didn’t say anything at all which made the experience really awkward. I really shouldn’t have done the new DLC vet dungeon first on my return to tanking.

I’m used to a year ago being able to pretty much just perma block and weave abilities in between blocking. Seems to no longer be the case? Trying to figure out with trash mobs what to do for CC besides using Inner Fire to range taunt everything to me.

So physical/spell resistances should be in the 25-30k range with or without buffs? How much HP to go for? I’m at around 45k right now.
  • antimawkish
    antimawkish
    ✭✭✭
    Tizerak wrote: »
    So physical/spell resistances should be in the 25-30k range with or without buffs? How much HP to go for? I’m at around 45k right now.

~32k resists is the resist cap. For the newer DLC, you'll want to be over 30k hp and have enough resources for some serious block-fests (most content you can just block heavies, but some fights are essentially perma-block situations). You could go slightly lower in resists, of course, and that 32k is really after you've gotten your buffs applied (e.g., major buffs from rune focus, minor protection from rune focus or healer, armor master or set bonuses...), so adjust accordingly. In vCoS, vBF, vFH, and some of the newest fights, there are definitely some bosses that it for over 100k unmitigated, so you want to have those resists in addition to the huge reduction in damage block applies.

As for pulling mobs into a tidy pile and getting aggro on the pack: If you run with a fairly reliable group, you can open with an aoe and use line-of-sight (i.e., toss your aoe out on top as many mobs as you can and then duck behind a blind corner) to get a pretty tight cluster of mobs. By getting the first hit on an enemy creature, you get aggro on it for the first several seconds, which is generally enough for either the dps to burn everything (bunch of pryos, those dps) or you to apply pierce or inner fire to all the important mobs (almost always the largest creature in the pack and the one with the 2hand weapon).

Alternatively, you can inner fire everything and use swarm mother set while blocking to auto-pull them to you. I prefer the former strategy rather than this, but some group members are just the worst about pulling.
    Edited by antimawkish on February 14, 2018 1:27AM
  • Tizerak
    Tizerak
    ✭✭✭
    Tizerak wrote: »

~32k resists is the resist cap. For the newer DLC, you'll want to be over 30k hp and have enough resources for some serious block-fests (most content you can just block heavies, but some fights are essentially perma-block situations). You could go slightly lower in resists, of course, and that 32k is really after you've gotten your buffs applied (e.g., major buffs from rune focus, minor protection from rune focus or healer, armor master or set bonuses...), so adjust accordingly. In vCoS, vBF, vFH, and some of the newest fights, there are definitely some bosses that it for over 100k unmitigated, so you want to have those resists in addition to the huge reduction in damage block applies.

As for pulling mobs into a tidy pile and getting aggro on the pack: If you run with a fairly reliable group, you can open with an aoe and use line-of-sight (i.e., toss your aoe out on top as many mobs as you can and then duck behind a blind corner) to get a pretty tight cluster of mobs. By getting the first hit on an enemy creature, you get aggro on it for the first several seconds, which is generally enough for either the dps to burn everything (bunch of pryos, those dps) or you to apply pierce or inner fire to all the important mobs (almost always the largest creature in the pack and the one with the 2hand weapon).

Alternatively, you can inner fire everything and use swarm mother set while blocking to auto-pull them to you. I prefer the former strategy rather than this, but some group members are just the worst about pulling.

Cool, thanks for the info!