The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Masterful writs

geosto1b16_ESO2
1st this is meant to be a constructive discussion not a dismissive i know sod all troll heaven. that said, I've reached a level of obtaining masterful writs, and the inconsistency of aquiring the mats to complete them are all over the place, Alchemy is the easiest cos the mats are all over the place, the enchanting ones are more difficult to acquire because a particular rune can only be found in Cyrodiil sewers obtained by acquiring Tel Var stones and buying from the Tel Var stone vendor for 5k no less, Ive yet come across them being dropped, tel var stones themselves are hard to hold onto as you acquire them because if you unfortunately get massacred youll lose a load and have restart aquireing them, hence you need to be in a group, well after all cyrodiil and the sewers are basically a group area.. fine, but if your at the whim of players willing or NOT willing to help makes the whole exercise ridiculous, like wise the mats for motif style items, these also are vaguely arbitrary drops from dailies, they may or may not happen for weeks or even months.. as with me, having to resort to buying the mats or buying gear to research, craglorn and cyrodiil are set aside specific for group and PVP.. dont get me wrong, I love both areas and spend a lot of time in each... but i am a soloist AND NOT UNIQUE... so why put mats for writs in the multiplayer section and not keep them in open Tamriel... a suggestion for these could easily be put at the end of long daily quest chains, ... you do the quest chain you get the mat or the motif, bearing in mind the AMOUNT of sets available and the amount of weapons and gear that need these , i could take forever to get them, but they can be got, unlike MAYBE get through arbitrary drops, the quest give could flag a player when ALL the motifs for a particular set are aquired then give a new daily quest, or call it a monthly quest.. i feel lost at the moment, grinding the dailies hoping a motif will drop so I can continue, or just ending up doing the dailies to get the gold to buy at guild vendors at highly extortionate prices (understandably due to rarity) to research or just buy accordingly... so i suggest putting motifs at the end of quest lines allowing them to be accessible to EVERYONE, and so stop people begging to be in a group that might or might not happen either...
people may not agree with this opinion, and I fully accept and RESPECT that, what I don't respect are trolls trolling for the sake of an argument...
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Putting motifs at the end of quest lines would let players bypass content to obtain motifs. It’s an “easy” way out which I don’t think ZOS would support.

Calling guild trader prices “extortionate” prior to you doing the legwork to find a good deal is also an “easy” way out.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I understand your frustration with not being able to complete writs due to not knowing a particular style, for example, but remember that these are master writs. I think that ZOS set the bar too low in terms of being able to obtain the writs. A player only has to be level 50 in a craft, with the necessary skill points assigned to craft level 50 gear/consumables, and they can start doing top tier writs that randomly drop master writs.

It sounds like you're relatively new to the game as you mentioned that you just reached the level to start being able to get master writs. There are over 50 motifs in the game right now, with more to come over time, so the chances of you getting a gear writ that you can't do are extremely high. You either need to spend the time farming motifs or gold to purchase the motifs you need or just sell the writs you can't do and buy ones that you can do.

This system was designed for long-time players who had put a lot of time/effort into crafting. It's kind of like an "end-game" for crafting. But, the barrier to entry is so low that new players can get access to these a lot sooner than they're able to actually craft a decent number of the gear writs. Even provisioning can be difficult since it requires knowledge of recipes that are pretty rare. Alchemy and enchanting are the only ones that can be consistently completed by the average player - all of these writs can be completed if you have the mats and the proper skill points allocated.

In the end, you're asking for the barrier to completion on gear writs to be lowered. But, the real problem is, the barrier to access is too low so that new players aren't really equipped to actually complete the writs once they start getting them. It's going to be a long slog for you as it was (or still is) for the rest of us. I've spent countless hours scouring for motifs and recipes and have spent many more farming gold and scouring guild traders.

It's going to take dedication - time/effort/gold - in order put yourself in a position to be able to complete most of the master gear writs you'll get. And I think it should remain that way - I don't think shortcuts need or should be introduced for a system that is designed to reward such dedication (flawed though it may be). Again, these are MASTER writs.

ETA: I wanted to add that I am a solo player, like you. I've just been playing longer. I don't PVP and I don't do dungeons, so, that means that if I decide not to participate in certain content, then I have to purchase from other players that do. This required me to join some trading guilds and start participating in the trading system. I sell what other players need to complete their content (so, mostly mats) and I buy from them the extra items they earn from doing the content (motif pages/style mats). Solo players have made a choice not to do certain content, so they need to figure out how they can obtain gold to buy what they want from other players that do the content.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on February 12, 2018 10:12PM
  • geosto1b16_ESO2
    typical none thought through replies, for your information I have been playing for years, I am not new or even fairly new, I have been crafting for ever I have enough mats to do ordinary writs which I do the 6 EVERYDAY.. the masterful writs on the other hand are tending to be a total waste of time, because as I have stated the acquiring of motifs to do the various master writs, which I might add only appear out of my 6 daily writ boxes maybe once a fortnight for MAYBE only ONE of the crafts ... these master writs don't appear all the time anyway... and doing the dailies to get set drops, means grinding away at the same old BORING quest day in and day out for weeks if not months.. and then possibly the drop is the SAME one as last months drop... arrggghhh!!!! it becomes nauseating killing the same old boss over and over... AND why do SOME the mats for the master writs HAVE to be in PVP areas, not every player wants to do PVPing especially doing an achievement that isn't part of PVP playing (I prefer PVE, but that doesnt stop me playing PVP in Cyrodiil which I admit is fun...and play there EVERYDAY if I HAVE TIME because of the dailies I grind away at trying to get set motifs, AND YES I DO ONE HELL OF A LOT OF WALKING RUNNING AND RIDING ALL OVER TAMRIEL looking at the consortium of guild pricing for various motifs, no competition then.. AND YES I bought most from guild, at inflated prices.. all very equal not much difference in any faction area... your answer sound to me more of what you THINK is going on, not what is ACTUALLY happening therefore my opinion is that your reply is unhelpful and not correct. If you have a quest line such as the "literny of blood" book, where you have to work out and assassinate a list of people, BY NO MEANS fast and easy... it takes you all over tamriel, learning the areas also, searching for the victim and identifying, then assassinating them and trying not to get caught, and if so, all your ill gotton swag is taken from you if you die or dont manage to escape by the skin of your teeth, then you finish the list.... whats wrong then with getting a motif set, or Kali's list where you have to aquire all the various parts of an autonotom from various delves...these dont happen overnight, they take time, but more importantly ENJOYABLE time searching looking wandering all over, and not a PVPer in site... much better than grinding a dungeon for the same amount of time... one way is boring as hell and the other more inclusive and involved and more likely to keep paying gamers who don't like PVP or like me who get bored sitting in a hole for a month day in day out killing the same old boss over and over and over adnausium ESO is about the journey to follow a story to get the points along the way NOT about just getting the points "hey look at me... I'm on top of the leader board" THAT IS A CHEAP ARCADE GAME and ESO is far superior to that genre...

the fact that you don't do PVP or dungeons as you state doesn't really qualify you to answer the basic question as you have not experienced them to form an opinion.... with due respect.
  • geosto1b16_ESO2
    addendum... you are confusing the concept of master writ aquiring.. which I'm not going on about, BUT the motif sets to do the master writs....
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Wall of texts need to be split up in paragraphs. It hurt to even get through your two blocks of text.
    2. Go easy on the caps lock. Typing in caps doesn't make you any more right.
    3. Guild traders. You might want to start using them. Both for selling your master writs that you obviously can't do, and which cause you so much agony. And for buying those motifs you lack, and the Hakeijo runes that you think you need to go to the IC to farm yourself.
    4. They're called master writs. Not dabbler writs, or apprentice writs. And your post is pretty much supporting why these writs shouldn't drop in such a quantity for non-master crafters as they currently do.
    5. Seriously, once again, just sell the thing to a master crafter, at least you get some free gold you didn't have to do a thing for, while someone else makes the writ. I have bought plenty of these up until now, and I can make each and every one of them. That's what separates a master crafter from a novice.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    addendum... you are confusing the concept of master writ aquiring.. which I'm not going on about, BUT the motif sets to do the master writs....

If you've been playing for years, how have you managed to NOT pick up motif books?

The normal motifs are found just about everywhere. If you aren't into looting boxes/crates/drawers/backpacks, guild traders usually have them for 250 gold or less. Other motifs can be seasonal, and when "in season" they are rather abundant. Out of 14 characters I've acquired 6 full sets of motifs so far, simply doing the event quests. Although I avoid pvp like the plague, I went to guild traders and bought all of the "faction" motifs, Dominion, Pact, and Covenant. While I don't do a lot of active thieving by going to the guild traders I've gotten almost all of the Hlaalu pieces. I should finish it soon. Next will be Telvanni. I've picked up a few through the crown store, simply because I have a sub, had the crowns, and nothing much else I was interested in in the store. Gave me more time to get in-game gold to buy other motifs in the guild traders....

• geosto1b16_ESO2
    I have found loads of set from the boxes as I wander around.. ALL of which I already have, they are the standard set books... so what are you going on about, commenting on something NOT even raised in the question... If people who answer posts weren't so DAMN condescending like all the answers here, conversations here might be more apt and helpful but this constant trolling of how I'm somehow to blame for being inadequate to understand something that the repliers know oh so much about in their high and mighty attitude when it seems they haven't really thought about the the proposed scenario through in any real constructive manner about suggesting an alternative path to obtaining motif sets seems to me that they really miss the point completely So please stop trolling.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After your overly rude response to a very helpful reply, you'll get nothing from me.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The enchanting ones are more difficult to acquire because a particular rune can only be found in Cyrodiil

No, they are quite easy as runes are everywhere. Hakejo rune is needed for only a couple of master writs. The 12-voucher Hakejo writ is not worth doing at all, just sell it. For a 38-voucher writ you can buy Hakejo at almost any guild store for 10-11k.

As for motifs, most of them – yes, most! – can be bought at the guild stores at a price of under 10k for a page. A big deal of motifs was really cheap until Outfit system, like Dwemer and Dro m’Atra. But you still can find them at a good price. Several motifs cost 20-40 k per page, like Yokudan, Mazzatun, Trinimac. Again, you can save the gold earned by daily craft and buy them – this is how I get them. And there are a few really expensive motifs like Buoyant Armiger – start saving for them once you collected all the others.
    I play since November, 2016, and I didn’t collect all pages of any motif by doing dailies or looting chests. I’m not that patient. I just buy them. I systematically fill in one motif, than another and so on. For now, I have just 8 more to do.

Finally, it is much easier to buy master writs you can do, than to wait for them to drop.
    Edited by myskyrim26 on March 30, 2018 11:50AM
  • Alamakot
    Alamakot
    ✭✭✭
    1st this is meant to be a constructive discussion
    It is rather hard to be constructive in topic containing nothing but complaining, that for any reason you're unable to get for free as many mats/motifs as you need to do daily writs in amount you (for some reason) want.

If you're playing for years, ingame gold should not be a problem. If I need hakeijo runes, I may go for guild traders (for fast), or (preferably) get some fun farming (in rather safe mode) telvars around my base (avoiding prime time) until I get enough. But -lookimg at your previous answers- I don't expect this will be constructive for you, as any other users coments you treated as trolling

• redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typical whine from OP with complete dismissal of any useful information provided. He doesn't want help. He wants to vent and have people hear him. I'd offer constructive help, but it appears you don't want any of that.
    Edited by redspecter23 on March 31, 2018 1:57PM
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have found loads of set from the boxes as I wander around.. ALL of which I already have, they are the standard set books... so what are you going on about, commenting on something NOT even raised in the question... If people who answer posts weren't so DAMN condescending like all the answers here, conversations here might be more apt and helpful but this constant trolling of how I'm somehow to blame for being inadequate to understand something that the repliers know oh so much about in their high and mighty attitude when it seems they haven't really thought about the the proposed scenario through in any real constructive manner about suggesting an alternative path to obtaining motif sets seems to me that they really miss the point completely So please stop trolling.

Apologies. Since you did do quite a bit of ranting about getting motifs, I mistakenly thought at least part of your post was regarding getting motifs. Likewise running about doing quests gives opportunities of running across mat nodes. Running between locations. Running around wayshrines. Finding an area that has mats you're looking for and running a route. :shrug: Don't worry, I won't waste your time again.